Mr. Green Gaming

Gmod Hunger Games server: Anyone interested?

I wont go in depth about what the idea is in this thread unless you message me and I know you'd be interested. But essentially it would be creating a replica of the Hunger Games as a Gmod server. Starting with 30 or so players, with a pool of weapons and resources in the middle, and an environment around them to hide and make traps in. There would be a director that gives resources / weapons to players every X nights they stay alive depending on their need of it (like sponsors in the film) and it would just be last man standing. The only difference from the film would be that people can work in pairs (put them in the same district)

I'm 99% sure this hasn't been done before on an FPS game,

It would be a good attempt at making a stand alone game that people would pay for to play on its own, not just a plugin that changes the game mode a bit.

We'd need:

- A coder, experienced in coding for Gmod:

This is the most important, obviously, so people who have experience in making server mods. Off the top of my head, excluding obvious things it would include coding: the system of giving items to players depending on their need of it; the announcements of deaths across the map; server reset after all the players have died; The starting system for the game (X amount of time before the games start, and rising up in tubes like in THG); etc

- Fairly experienced mapper/s

The maps would have to be fairly large to make it playable, and as I said would be a replica of Hunger Games locations. Meaning the maps would be places like a forest, or some aztec ruins, fitting stuff like that.

- A modeler to make any extra props required

Just to avoid being lazy and using default HL2 props, it would be good to have someone to make any extra props or models that are needed. I think anything this group makes should stick as much as possible to not mooching off of other peoples work - its against the whole point of it

The most important thing is knowing there's an experienced coder who would be interested in making this game mode, as they're harder to find. I have no doubt that if this was made to a high standard and was put on the L4G servers it would be very popular.

Anyway, just post below if you're interested or message me in the private chat to talk about it. It'd be crazy fun, and a nice project to get the ball rolling on this ProjectReign thing. And also its not like theres any time set on this thing, its just for fun, so no rush if you're not free for a while. I hope someone else is interested.. Necro? Clav? Poofoo? :V xoxoxox

Oh, and just incase, if you're not a L4G forum user and just someone from teh Googles, dont let that stop you from messaging me.

Edited by Dr.Minky

Dr "Ideas guy" Minky

Hunger games might be hard to make as a game, since it would likely end up as a giant massacre at the starting area most of the time.

Also I don't remember there being any team limits in the movie, just that since only the last person standing wins no alliance is that trustworthy/longliving.

Dr "Ideas guy" Minky

Hunger games might be hard to make as a game, since it would likely end up as a giant massacre at the starting area most of the time.

Also I don't remember there being any team limits in the movie, just that since only the last person standing wins no alliance is that trustworthy/longliving.

In the one they focus on in the film they say 2 people are allowed to win half way through as a twist. So maybe like randomly some round allow 2 winners and you get put into teams. And in the films it is a massacre at the start about half the people die

Okay I'll explain my initial thoughts on it, just to clear some things up :V

As Mog said, half the team DO get slaughtered at the start, that's kind of part of it. You either risk running to the middle to get the equipment you need, and have a high chance of dying, or run away and plan to get weapons later on. And the team thing would probably be optional, as thats the whole point of the hunger games, but obviously a lot of players like to play with their friends so being able to get in a team of 2 with a friend would be a nice bonus..

In the film, there are weapons in the middle, but half way to the middle there are backpacks with basic supplies in. This could be things like a medkit and some kevlar or something like that. Then there'd need to be some ways to impliment stuff in the outer regions for people without weapons to be able to put in traps or something like that, meaning that players with the better weapons cant just run around and shoot everyone: they have to track them down and risk getting stuck in traps.

Also, there arent any weapons like guns and such in the film, so people wouldn't be able to be crazy OP and just shoot them from a mile away and kill them. Itd need to be made more skill based than weapon based.

I completely agree, it does sound hard, but its still do-able and I thought I'd rather suggest it now than sit around and not do anything :V

I'll be doing some easier projects soon anyway, like basic 2D game stuff, this would be a long term project for whoever said they're interested

@technonegro I disagree, this thing has been CRAZY succesful on MineCraft (as different as the games are, it still shows player mentality), not to mention the only difference between this and the Search and Destroy game mode is that it is longer, more intense and rewarding gameplay

Edited by Dr.Minky

Search and Destroy based game mode... ?

Faction Lists

( Examples )

- Blood Dogs

- Butt Monkeys etc...

Weapon Upgrades

- Sights

- Silencers

- Trap durations

Etc...

Load out Upgrade

- Assualt

- Acrobat

- Assassin

- Warrior

- Hunter/Ranger

Etc...

Perks/Skills

- %20 Sprint increase for 2 minutes

- %10 More damage with blunt weapons

etc..

Different Tournaments

- Cups

- Bigger matches

- Maps

- Etc....

Just being very closed minded seeing as I am tired, but there is a lot to come out of this even if it will take a freaking long time to code with a small amount of people willing to do so. You might have to fade away from making it exactly like the original seeing as the game mode hasn't been made before... Sounds good so far and I am interested. Character customization and also a re skin of District 12 would be awesome'

post-6221-0-61631200-1335826029_thumb.pn

post-6221-0-04667900-1335826046_thumb.pn

And also adding in player cards from the original, but changing them obviously

post-6221-0-63343600-1335826087_thumb.pn

Edited by Luke Nukem

So, if this is based on a movie, why not use the soundtracks from the movie?

I think anything this group makes should stick as much as possible to not mooching off of other peoples work - its against the whole point of it

And those sound tracks wouldnt fit with the game mode. Each round would last for quite a while, music wouldn't really be needed that much as its not fast paced or very actiony - You dont see music playing in games like CS:S or HL2 and stuff, its exactly the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...

"First time done in an FPS..."

Depends on whether you consider Minecraft an FPS, really.

As for hunger games in Gmod, I was talking to my friend a while back about just this. A few problems we identified was that it may just turn out to be a slightly more combat based Gmod Survival. But I believe with enough time to evolve the idea that it would move past that.

I would suggest that we actually based the gamemode of Gmod Survival, but GS is coded so poorly that it would be beyond just "inefficient". It would be a down-right nuisance to code. Time consuming and frustrating.

Another thing is coding this "director". Creating a half decent AI is extremely difficult, even for something as simple as picking out your needs and giving something corresponding to that need (unless you want to make it like "he's more hungry than anything else. Give him food". Then you have to take into account how long a hunger game will go on for. In minecraft, assuming no admin intervention, it can last up to an hour. I've been in one that lasted 3! Then there's the need to join the game before the match start, as it could be unfair if people join half-way through with full health and hunger.

But I can see it happening.

So, if this is based on a movie, why not use the soundtracks from the movie?

I think anything this group makes should stick as much as possible to not mooching off of other peoples work - its against the whole point of it

And those sound tracks wouldnt fit with the game mode. Each round would last for quite a while, music wouldn't really be needed that much as its not fast paced or very actiony - You dont see music playing in games like CS:S or HL2 and stuff, its exactly the same thing.

HL2 has shit tonnes of music in it, the thing is that it fits so well that you barely notice it. Almost every combat scene has music of some form. Even Ravenholm has an ambient track that runs almost all the time. What you could do is put in certain music for when someone both sees and heads towards someone. Then another track of music for combat. Then more for when the player gets hungry. And another for when he has low health. Games like this work with situational music that promote the mood.

Hell, music to stress them out while low HP and being chased would be amazing.

Never call MineCraft an FPS ever again :V

But yes, the joining system could work like in MineCraft, where you wait till the server is full then start the game and run it in cycles.

Music could be added I guess, optionally, doesnt take too long to write a few songs..

Coding would be the trickiest part, yes, hence why I wanted to try and find a coder before even bothering to start.. The director thing wouldn't really be too bad, just have it so for example every X amount of time, depending on conditions of the player e.g: Infection, Health, Items equiped, they have a probability of recieving A B or C, or nothing, something like that

I think trying to make it as survival based as possible would be good, and make the combat tricky. More like you're trying to assassinate people instead of just run in and kill people. With the weapons available it'd be tricky to be mainly combat based anyway, since its mainly melee and short range weapons, so a focus on traps and tracking and such would be a good way to do it (if it were made to be rewarding instead of tedious)

Also, I'm currently getting to grips with using UDK for more professional in game sound design, after I'm happy with what I'm making I'm gonna shift over to starting to work with SDK so I could make the sound design quality really good as it would need to be..

Honestly, as far as I know the only people who would be able to code it here are Clavus, Ywa and Necrossin, who likely wouldn't want to do something like this anyway. Likely hood is I'll have to network and try and find more coders elsewhere, which will be tricky :V

Edited by Dr.Minky

Never call MineCraft an FPS ever again :V

But yes, the joining system could work like in MineCraft, where you wait till the server is full then start the game and run it in cycles.

Music could be added I guess, optionally, doesnt take too long to write a few songs..

Coding would be the trickiest part, yes, hence why I wanted to try and find a coder before even bothering to start.. The director thing wouldn't really be too bad, just have it so for example every X amount of time, depending on conditions of the player e.g: Infection, Health, Items equiped, they have a probability of recieving A B or C, or nothing, something like that

I think trying to make it as survival based as possible would be good, and make the combat tricky. More like you're trying to assassinate people instead of just run in and kill people. With the weapons available it'd be tricky to be mainly combat based anyway, since its mainly melee and short range weapons, so a focus on traps and tracking and such would be a good way to do it (if it were made to be rewarding instead of tedious)

Also, I'm currently getting to grips with using UDK for more professional in game sound design, after I'm happy with what I'm making I'm gonna shift over to starting to work with SDK so I could make the sound design quality really good as it would need to be..

Honestly, as far as I know the only people who would be able to code it here are Clavus, Ywa and Necrossin, who likely wouldn't want to do something like this anyway. Likely hood is I'll have to network and try and find more coders elsewhere, which will be tricky :V

I never called Minecraft an FPS. :P

And I have a friend who's a very experienced coder. But right now he's working on remaking Tribes in Gmod. (So far it's amazingly fun).

• 1 month later...