Mr. Green Gaming

Maps Music

MAP RULES

To get a better average map quality we'll be enforcing some new rules for new maps on both servers.

Currently our servers have plenty of "ordinary" maps so from now on our map managers need to be a bit more restricted on uploading maps. This means that from now some maps won't get uploaded unless they're good or needed. With this new enforcement it makes sense that many of our outdated and badly rated maps get deleted.

• Music or vehicle mods is only allowed if it fits the map theme (example: kungfu map has a kungfu song) and is relatively small

Hi. I don't see this rule being enforced. Why? There are very few themed maps but almost every map I play has a shitty song. It's annoying having to download songs I'm not even gonna listen and waste HDD space.

Nobody forces you to listen to 'shitty' songs or download them... (some songs are awful, I can't shake it) first of all, /soundsoff if you don't want to hear songs anymore, or /settings, and set the map music to 0%. If you think that you're wasting HDD space on map songs download your HDD must be a potato with 3 cables, come on it's just 2/3 MB each one, I've been playing MTA since 2010, and my MTA folder is not even using 6 GB of my disk space. 

Edited by neox.
Guest AleksCore

Totally agree with neox. Max song size is like 5 mb - so what's the problem? 1500 maps - 7500Mb - 1 film in not the best quality. Also you can clean up ur resources folder, probably there too much unused trash

Edited by AleksCore

There are way too many songs on mix.

Since i always have the sound muted, its a big waste of space for me, since im running an ssd.

In my opinion, 7gig is way too much for 1 server. If i would be playing on more servers i would fully understand, but why does every map need to have shit music?

@neox, this server indeeds forces you to download shitty music. But thats sadly the way how mta works.

Edited by KaliBwoy
Guest AleksCore

The problem is that shit music does not exist. Music can be good for you and bad for you. And this is only your opinion

P.S. And this is only my opinion

P.P.S. lmao?

Since i always have the sound muted, its a big waste of space for me, since im running an ssd.

In my opinion, 7gig is way too much for 1 server. If i would be playing on more servers i would fully understand, but why does every map need to have shit music?

@neox, this server indeeds forces you to download shitty music. But thats sadly the way how mta works.

'I've been playing MTA since 2010' 

I've joined MrGreen on 2012, almost 2013. I've played a lot of Deathmatch maps, and all of DM maps (or most of them) have got a music track, and it makes the map awesome while you're playing. Well.. I haven't played all this 5 years just in 1 PC, I've changed to another PC recently, the last september, but yeah, I've played DM on this PC too, and it's currently 4,95 GB used. I've took a look out on my potato PC (the last PC that I had played for 4 years) and it's like 10 GB. Come on, I can meet both folders and they don't even make a GTA IV size..

'I've been playing MTA since 2010' 

I've joined MrGreen on 2012, almost 2013. I've played a lot of Deathmatch maps, and all of DM maps (or most of them) have got a music track, and it makes the map awesome while you're playing. Well.. I haven't played all this 5 years just in 1 PC, I've changed to another PC recently, the last september, but yeah, I've played DM on this PC too, and it's currently 4,95 GB used. I've took a look out on my potato PC (the last PC that I had played for 4 years) and it's like 10 GB. Come on, I can meet both folders and they don't even make a GTA IV size..

You're comparing music files to a full game.

You should also take into concideration the future, the servers keep growing.

In the beginning of mix, it was fun to add music to your maps, because there werent many maps that did it. But now it's got to a point where most add music for the sake of adding music.

There is (imo) no need for every map to have a different song.

Thats not true at all, Music files are the biggest files on the server, a map resource is most likely around 50-60kb without music, And lua files are a necessity to let the game run, so you can't really compare it to music.

My point is, it's actually good to limit the music and size of the map, untill it becomes optional to download.

Edited by KaliBwoy

Nobody forces you to listen to 'shitty' songs or download them... (some songs are awful, I can't shake it) first of all, /soundsoff if you don't want to hear songs anymore, or /settings, and set the map music to 0%. If you think that you're wasting HDD space on map songs download your HDD must be a potato with 3 cables, come on it's just 2/3 MB each one, I've been playing MTA since 2010, and my MTA folder is not even using 6 GB of my disk space. 

Actually, I am forced to download them and keep them stored and 6 GB is way too much for just maps.

Totally agree with neox. Max song size is like 5 mb - so what's the problem? 1500 maps - 7500Mb - 1 film in not the best quality. Also you can clean up ur resources folder, probably there too much unused trash

I can't clean it up because sever will force me to download songs again.

With my reply I've meant, that music it's nothing compared with all other files you download from servers (scripts, mods, etc..)

The MTA folder it's -500 MB when it's new.

Music I won't even listen takes way more space than just the map.

Thats not true at all, Music files are the biggest files on the server, a map resource is most likely around 50-60kb without music, And lua files are a necessity to let the game run, so you can't really compare it to music.

My point is, it's actually good to limit the music and size of the map, untill it becomes optional to download.

My guess was that the rule was made to do exactly what you are saying but I get the feel from this thread that most admins (or map uploaders) disagree with it and just let it slide, which is unfortunate.

You just are faggets, come on music won't ruin your PC.. (unless if it is reaggaeton, or whatever is this crap called)

@BadPing, stop crying, a new HDD of 1 TB costs around 60€, go ahead and buy a new one if you feel annoyed with those songs on your disk..

Edited by neox.

BadPing: Actually, I am forced to download them and keep them stored and 6 GB is way too much for just maps.

I've never mentioned 6 GB is just maps. What about gcshop, scoreboards, modded cars, login panels, whatever, all scripts are counted too. And it's not only mrgreen servers, unless if you want to lie me, if you played only on both servers and no another.

te

Anyway, that's not the way to be angry (note to myself). I respect your opinion since everyone has got a different music taste,in your case you hate most of all songs, therefore you can suggest (the better way to do it for me in your case) to set the song map download optative. With that I mean, on /settings could be added an option 

Download map songs (in this case it's yes)

Download map songs (in this case it's no)

Just if it's possible, otherwise all is going to be right like now.

Edited by neox.

BadPing: Actually, I am forced to download them and keep them stored and 6 GB is way too much for just maps.

I've never mentioned 6 GB is just maps. What about gcshop, scoreboards, modded cars, login panels, whatever, all scripts are counted too. And it's not only mrgreen servers, unless if you want to lie me, if you played only on both servers and no another.

te

Anyway, that's not the way to be angry (note to myself). I respect your opinion since everyone has got a different music taste,in your case you hate most of all songs, therefore you can suggest (the better way to do it for me in your case) to set the song map download optative. With that I mean, on /settings could be added an option 

Download map songs (in this case it's yes)

Download map songs (in this case it's no)

Just if it's possible, otherwise all is going to be right like now.

As far as i remember, sdk tried that. Wasn't working.

And why are you comparing text files (lua) to music files. Like i said, the music are the biggest files on the server (well except for some custom objects), why does every map need to have music?

This will be a problem in the future, if that rule isnt there.

Race maps are 2.3 gig, and mix maps are 2.12 gig. Mix got alot less maps than race, yet is about the same size and growing.

My local server is 2.2 gig, and that includes all resources on mix plus some new resources. Wich means the resources are less then 100mb.

A map is typically around 50-60kb without music/custom objects.

At this moment, it may not be a big problem for you, but it is becoming a problem for people.

One thing we may be able to do is stream music via the new music database source, but that's something i'm still busy with.

Thats why i think the rule is and should be there.

Edited by KaliBwoy

Well, I'm not crying. I'm just thinking ahead and trying to understand why a rule made by server managers is not being enforced by admins. This was the original question in my post which no one has been able to answer. The rule was created because of too much unnecessary music and to avoid exponential growth of the server files, or at least this is what makes the most sense to me. Music files cannot be separated from map files which makes neox suggestion non plausible and makes the rule even more relevant.

Also, neox, respect yourself. Don't go around calling people 'faggets' just because they don't agree with you, learn to handle opposing opinions and don't try to win arguments by flaming. I only say this because you're an admin and somewhat represent the whole community, I wouldn't care less if you were a regular player, but you're not. Be a leader, act like one.

Well, I'm not crying. I'm just thinking ahead and trying to understand why a rule made by server managers is not being enforced by admins. This was the original question in my post which no one has been able to answer. The rule was created because of too much unnecessary music and to avoid exponential growth of the server files, or at least this is what makes the most sense to me. Music files cannot be separated from map files which makes neox suggestion non plausible and makes the rule even more relevant.

Also, neox, respect yourself. Don't go around calling people 'faggets' just because they don't agree with you, learn to handle opposing opinions and don't try to win arguments by flaming. I only say this because you're an admin and somewhat represent the whole community, I wouldn't care less if you were a regular player, but you're not. Be a leader, act like one.

Leader? never. I don't want to be a leader, I feel really good just as admin.. Most of people like to hear/add a soundtrack on a map, ah, and if you take serious all the things I write I don't have any problem, but somehow having a MTA folder with 5/6 GB size of maps won't ruin your PC, or yes? I don't even know your disk space, but as I told you, if 6 GB is too much and you don't have space, buying a new disk costs from 15€ to 60€. You're going so wrong with this of "I wouldn't care less if you were a regular player, but you're not. Be a leader, act like one." everyone acts as himself, I shouldn't change for being an admin, just have a good behaviour with commands/panel and rights, and help out other players, but about leader? what dude... I'll keep being myself.

I just tell you to buy a new disk if you have problems, and if you've used too much space, as somehow the server forces you to download the songs, we can't do anything to avoid downloading songs for ones, and not for others. Remember I don't only say things like 'faggets' as a typical expression I do when I'm practically talking with irony, 'I respect your opinion', and if you think so I can agree or disagree, and I like to show my opinion, same as you, disagreeing with forced song download on maps, you've shown your opinion.

Edited by neox.

How about maybe add radio channels (in your car) instead of all music? I've seen it alot on different servers, and it wouldn't maybe take as much space as custom music, or am i wrong?

How about maybe add radio channels (in your car) instead of all music? I've seen it alot on different servers, and it wouldn't maybe take as much space as custom music, or am i wrong?

People will get tired of the same music.

I personally think streaming is the way to go, since it takes 0 space, thus can be added to as much maps as they like.

Its also very possible, maybe we could even build a system around it for mapmakers to set/replace music (just ideas).

Edited by KaliBwoy

what about play music online like soundcloud or you can download it if you have bad internet

Soundcloud on it's own is not reliable because of the open-ness of soundcloud and the settings you can set on soundcloud to make it non streamable.

I'm working on another source, wich will be reliable, but i can't say much since i have to see how it works out first.

Although it will be either streaming or downloading, both doesnt work, but you should be able to handle a song streaming from a fast source.

It was just a suggestion neox, you can do whatever you please. I understand what you are trying to say about disk space, no need to keep repeating it but I still think you're missing the whole point, the bigger picture. I just hope map uploaders (whose work I appreciate a lot) will take this rule into consideration when reviewing maps. It has a reason to exist.

We could just host and stream music ourselves and play them on the maps where needed (for the maps). Or does soundcloud use a specific streaming system?

Soundcloud (and musicmp3.ru) have the servers and a large database of music, so load would not be on our servers. I don't know if us streaming the music is a good idea actually, since we have to deal with alot of lag already, unless it's on another server ofcourse.

https://trello.com/c/EGchTolp/89-map-music-solution-more

Edited by KaliBwoy