Mr. Green Gaming

ZP:S New Maps

Google Hoops

I played on the Mr.Green ZP:S server and I noticed that it's only Official maps. And I was thinking "Why?" because there are some great user made maps. So I'm suggesting that more maps be added to the map rotation.

Here are some of my favourite maps:

zps_my_dead_house

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/80940

zpo_leak_of_the_dead_b4

http://www. fpsbanana.com/maps/71643

zps_junkyard_b8

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/70028

zps_cabin_b7_r1

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/61924

zps_uphill_b2

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/60845

zps_skyscraper_v2

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/58513

zps_pubdefence

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/43383

zps_wintercabin_b6

http://xqz2.inx-gaming.co.uk/zps/maps/zps_wintercabin_b6.bsp

...And mall as well but I couldn't find a DL link so if anyone knows it tell me or post it on this topic.

Ok. I am done testing and having a look around. Some of the maps were already known to me, others were not.

Here is a list of the maps that were found: OK and those that were: rejected. About some I am not entirely sure yet.

My_Dead_House: rejected. Too much bugs, map is too small.

Lake_of_the_Dead_b4: needs some more testing on my behalf.

Junkyard: OK.

Cabin: rejected.

Uphill: rejected.

Skyscraper: rejected.

Pubdefense: rejected.

Mall: OK. Link to it btw can be found here.

Industry_ob2: OK

Wintercabin: rejected.

Those that were found OK will be implemented in short notice. If they work out properly they will be kept on the server.

LOL quite a lot of rejections but my_dead_house I don't think it was the map I was thinking of. I think I might have been thinking of last_house or something I can't really remember.

P.S. What's wrong with cabin (non winter) or Uphill?

P.P.S. That's not the mall I was thinking of. The mall I was thinking of was zps_abandoned_mall_b4.

Edited by Google Hoops
LOL quite a lot of rejections but my_dead_house I don't think it was the map I was thinking of. I think I might have been thinking of last_house or something I can't really remember.

P.S. What's wrong with cabin (non winter) or Uphill?

P.P.S. That's not the mall I was thinking of. The mall I was thinking of was zps_abandoned_mall_b4.

Yep a lot of rejections. First of all because I wouldnt want a total change of the server right away. Some people are not a big fan of custom maps, throwing 10 new maps into the server will scare them off, so I'm still thinking of how to introduce some new maps into the server. Its probable that I will throw one new map in the server at a time. Then after having it on the server for a week or so we will look back at how it played out. Only after that we can come to a conclusion whether we want to keep the map or not.

@ Cabin: With all due respect, but this map has nothing to do with the essence of ZP!S. I know a lot of people play the map, and there are even 24/7 cabin servers, but in my opinion this maps lacks every form of quality.

Noobs tend to be drawn to it, because of the loads of weapons and ammo, and that OK to me. If they want to learn how to get along with the weapons on ZPS like that, then sure! But I wouldnt like to see it on our server.

The essence of ZPS is about surviving the zombie horde with limited resources, as it would (sort of be) IRL (if a zombie apolcolypse would actually ever occur). Cabin has, as I said before, tons of weapons and ammo. Also, the entire map is simple and ugly to the eye. Putting some houses on a field of grass together is, in my opinion, not worh calling a 'map'.

Also, a lot of the other rejected maps (such as Skycraper) have the same problem as Cabin. They have nothing of the pure essence of ZP!S, draw noobs and I think we can all agree when I say the map looks horrible. Every nitwit could make this in Source SDK.

Next to that is the fact we can expect quite some map changes already in the near future. As you can read in my post on the upcomming patch, there will be quite the evolution. ZPS_Deadblock and ZPS_Subway will be removed, but instead of that we will get at least 2 entire new maps and also the altered version of Town as ZPA_Town.

I may look like a hard and bad person now, but I am just saying (and doing) this out of 'love' for the game. If a custom map is really good, we don't feel hard about not putting it on our server. Therefor: keep reporting good custom maps! We might give em a chance!

And to all the people who make maps themselves: don't be shy! If you think your map is good enough: let us know! We are not scared of giving potential a try!

Oh! I almost forgot!

Here is a little newsbit! First map that's gonna be put online for a try is gonna be: Junkyard!

It will be online soon, so keep an eye out!

In this process it is very important to us that you let us know what you eventually think of this map, so please give us your opinion! I think I will make a special thread for those new maps, with a poll in it. So there you will be able to curse or say you 'love' the new map ;)

@ Bob

Ok well you didn't explain whats wrong with uphill and I wasn't disagreeing about skyscraper I regret putting it on as a idea 'cause I played it recently and thought "WOW this really IS bullshit"

But it is sweet that junkyard made it 'cause it's a pretty fucking sweet map.

Uphill. Yes, well, I categorized some maps under Cabin and Skyscraper as you can read in that post I wrote. Uphill indeed falls under the Cabin category. Too much weapons and ammos delivered right there, right away. And then I'm not even taking into account that the map itself just looks absolutely horrible. Its called 'uphill', but personally I am capable of delivering better looking hills, than I see in this one. The person who made this map obviously just started playing with the height function.

Sorry but no, no Uphill on mr.green, unless it is getting made a lot better :P

Edited by Bob the Salesman
@ Bob

Ok well you didn't explain whats wrong with uphill and I wasn't disagreeing about skyscraper I regret putting it on as a idea 'cause I played it recently and thought "WOW this really IS bullshit"

But it is sweet that junkyard made it 'cause it's a pretty fucking sweet map.

Uphill. Yes, well, I categorized some maps under Cabin and Skyscraper as you can read in that post I wrote. Uphill indeed falls under the Cabin category. Too much weapons and ammos delivered right there, right away. And then I'm not even taking into account that the map itself just looks absolutely horrible. Its called 'uphill', but personally I am capable of delivering better looking hills, than I see in this one. The person who made this map obviously just started playing with the height function.

Sorry but no, no Uphill on mr.green, unless it is getting made a lot better :P

By better do you mean make it prettier with less guns and ammo. Make it more fair towards the zombies and give it more of that ZP:S feeling?

In a way yes. But not only that, also the physical element AND, maybe the most important thing: there has to be a good idea behind a map. There has to be soem thought put into it. A gun is at a certain place? Why is it there? Why not 2 meters more to the left? This may sound extreme, but by giving everything good thought when you make a map, you will make a very good and well-thought out map. I dont think uphill is well thought out personally.

Yeh finding a shotgun in a toilet makes no sense.

But. if you drop a gun in a corner. place a dead body with blood on it near the gun (looks like he comitted suicide , adds to the horror of the map)

And medpacks dont lie randomly on the street. In a closet or on a table.

Finding guns randomly everywhere makes the map more "arcade" then 'horror"

UPDATE

The Mr.Green server has been updated, this update contains the removal of 2 maps, but also the adding of 2 new maps.

The maps that got removed:

- ZPS_Deadblock (will be removed in upcomming patch 2.0 anyway).

- ZPS_Subway (same reason).

New maps added:

- ZPS_Junkyard (try-out custom map).

- ZPS_Industry (same).

Please give us feedback on the two new maps!