Mr. Green Gaming

This place is a deserted 'dump' Soon after Im done with it I will pass it on to Zincoshine so he can see if theres anything that can be improved or optimized.

So far it includes:

3 buildings with 3 floors

Ground floor covered in waste, not to mention the radioactive crap

Outside storage areas

An area with pipes n fences n stuff

Health charger in the 'cross section' of the catwalk floors

A few healthvials scattered around the place and batteries.

Old vehicles around the waste.

Some more rooms.

A yellow fog, which I think is better than my old siege fog :Z.

There 2 storage rooms with red light and 2 with blue.

Its near night.

And some more stuff.

post-1289-127020533661_thumb.jpg

post-1289-127020534136_thumb.jpg

post-1289-127020534564_thumb.jpg

post-1289-127020535164_thumb.jpg

post-1289-12702053562_thumb.jpg

post-1289-127020536132_thumb.jpg

post-1289-127020537019_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pufulet

I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, but it doesn't look inviting to play.

You could add a lot to this map to make it more interesting, like detailing (not props, but the walls, they look dull) with decals and overlays.

This is blocky and uninviting. But I'll for a mapper who has one year experience in Hammer, it's decent.

How long have you been working on this map, if I may ask?

Edited by Botervloot

I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, but it doesn't look inviting to play.

You could add a lot to this map to make it more interesting, like detailing (not props, but the walls, they look dull) with decals and overlays.

This is blocky and uninviting. But I'll for a mapper who has one year experience in Hammer, it's decent.

How long have you been working on this map, if I may ask?

about 2,3 weeks. I will add more detail on the walls

Edited by Pufulet

Looking better, but that's 2d decoration. You'll also need 3d decoration as well, in the form of brushes and props.

I kinda explained it in this picture:

post-48-127031989147_thumb.png

(1) This is a simple wall. And it won't do, at least in large areas where everything looks the same. You need a form of decoration to make it more interesting.

(2) This is better, a prop vent with some decals. But it still wont cut it.

(3) Adding different effects and interesting architecture makes it even more interesting, like dustmotes, sprites, particles ect.

(4) But it's up to you to determine if it's fit for the map. A warehouse doesn't have modern art in it; nor a bar, it's shape being simple, but realistic. If a building actually IS something, like a crane that's in reach of grabbing containers for a harbour, or a cafeteria in an office workspace. If people know what it's supposed to be, it'll be a lot familiar to them.

Instead of saying: "That building is under attack", they'd say: "The warehouse is under attack".

More importantly, it's not the shape or looks of a map that makes it good, it's the fun the players have. If a map is well balanced, it will always be chosen instead of a pretty, but unbalanced map.

Looking better, but that's 2d decoration. You'll also need 3d decoration as well, in the form of brushes and props.

(1) This is a simple wall. And it won't do, at least in large areas where everything looks the same. You need a form of decoration to make it more interesting.

(2) This is better, a prop vent with some decals. But it still wont cut it.

(3) Adding different effects and interesting architecture makes it even more interesting, like dustmotes, sprites, particles ect.

(4) But it's up to you to determine if it's fit for the map. A warehouse doesn't have modern art in it; nor a bar, it's shape being simple, but realistic. If a building actually IS something, like a crane that's in reach of grabbing containers for a harbour, or a cafeteria in an office workspace. If people know what it's supposed to be, it'll be a lot familiar to them.

Instead of saying: "That building is under attack", they'd say: "The warehouse is under attack".

More importantly, it's not the shape or looks of a map that makes it good, it's the fun the players have. If a map is well balanced, it will always be chosen instead of a pretty, but unbalanced map.

k I will try adding 3d stuff to it or windows or somthing

...Well i have 1 idea, Its about "Bless of the minded"

I saw that b4, many times.

All you need, is to make a caged room with much weapons, health vials etc... at the border of a map

On the other border you can place 3-4 buttons,

Then you should place a hidden question somewhere on the wall, like "2+2=?" and answers for it 1)1; 2)4; 3)0; 4)Dunno.

(I mean some serious question, that was an example), as humans will solve this question, they should run to the button panel... so if the choose correct answer they will open the locker door, if not- instant death of 1 who pushed it...

Problem is not to make this all objects work, problem is to place several questions each time, so humans dont know which button to push, also its a problem to randomize hidden questions and synchronize the corrcet answer with the buttons. Well possibly 4 buttons is too few, cause noob-humans will probably push 3 others, so minded humans will realise of what button to push, you can place even more buttons.

It will get some really adventures on the map.

k I will try adding 3d stuff to it or windows or somthing

Not only that, but pillars, pipelines, curved walls, rocks ect. The picture was just a quick example of something that could be added.

• 3 weeks later...