Mr. Green Gaming

Project Reign: Proposed media group idea

13 members have voted

1. 1. Does this seem like a good idea?

• Yes, it sounds great
    • Yes, but it could be better if ...
    • No, but it could work if ...
    • No, you are delusional Minky
  2. 2. Would you like to be a contributor?

• Yes, I would like to be an active contributor to help build up my portfolio
    • I will only to help out other people and mentor
    • Nope.avi
    • No, but I know people who might be interested
  3. 3. If you were to contribute, what would you do (or like to do)? You can tick more than one

• Graphic Design
    • Coding (I know this is vague)
    • Sound Design / Music
    • Level Design (and mapping)
    • Project leader / writer
    • Video editor
    • Artist
    • Other: e.g. Website designer, voice actor, 3d modeling etc
    • Mentor

If you're into any kind of media production, I'd be grateful if you read this because it might interest you.

This thread I'll just be explaining this idea that I've had and see if you guys thing it could work out well.

untitled-1.png

ProjectReign would be both a networking group and a media group, where a project leader proposes a project we undertake, and I link up the needed people to produce that thing. I believe this would be beneficial to those of us going into the media industry, as it will: Help us network. Let us practice our skills in actual job like situations. Expand our portfolio. (if you're lucky) produce something that gets your name known.

Its currently quite hard to find work on indie projects unless you're good at networking, so I feel this could be a good stepping stone for some people.

Here is an example of how this would work (first a names that came to mind):

BlueYoshi comes to us and says "I have been designing this game where you go to the moon and have a cup of tea with it and fight magical fairy monsters". A few of us review his idea, then if it sounds good we take it in. Id then select people who want to help produce a project from a list of people. For example Id say "Clavus said he wants coding work, I can produce the sound, Pufu wants level design work, blahblah design, etc." and go from there, working with the ProjectLeader to get it all done to a high standard that we can all be proud to show as our own work.

At the end of a project, we would release the thing under the ProjectReign name and give FULL credit to everyone who contributed: No person being above another. All the ProjectReign name would do would be making it much easier to publicize and keep all our work in one place. It would all be free too of course, so we would try and put any work we do up for royalty free download.

Also, people can always volunteer to help other people in their field. For example, I'm a good graphics designer, but as it is not my main focus (I focus on sound design) I would instead put any other graphics designers above me and instead try and help them produce the project, like a mentor!

We can produce games, videos, websites, mods, music, ANYTHING people think would be good. It can also be real life things, like if you need something making for a uni project.

Finally, this wouldn't just be open to Left4Green people, I'm simply using this to see who would be interested and if this would actually work or not. So if you know someone who may be interested in work then send them this way! If it does work out, I'd try and find some other place to discuss things as I know this isn't what L4G is for.

Hopefully some of that made sense. If not, post below what you don't understand and I'll change it.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to say, I highly encourage EVERYONE who would work on this to start a blog talking about them making this. I might even say its a necessity, If you're going into media, this shit will help you tons. We'll also keep an eye out for any possible work on indie projects for each other! Help each other out 'n' all that.

Edited by Dr.Minky

I still remember I wanted to make The Operation Sbumarine mod for Half-life 2, but later it got to the conclusion I couldn't do it on my own since I need custom sounds and more actors (and maybe more modellers + additional mappers). Also what for the video teaser? I can do teasers, but those would be with no super effects that can be done by experienced video editors. Also websites! I can do a website using some cheap network, like ucoz. But still, I wanted more than that. I say it is a GREAT idea, Minky :L

I know I'm being a little in-active on our project right now, Minky

I still have to study for my exams which I have to write at the end of THIS month,

but I am thinking about our project most of the time.

Be patient with me and I will be a great help for our team :)

Thanks for the consultation

But yes, I fully back this, as it was partly my idea too

Kudos goes to Peon for coming up with the name :V

I know I'm being a little in-active on our project right now, Minky

I still have to study for my exams which I have to write at the end of THIS month,

but I am thinking about our project most of the time.

Be patient with me and I will be a great help for our team :)

Dont worry about it Raptor, I'm psyched about doing our project :D Ill see who else we can fit in to be part of it when I get some feedback from people.. I guess we'll tell everyone about our project as soon as we've finished that story stuff

Ill post a different thread after I've gotten some feedback on actually starting some projects - Keep in mind that a lot of people have exams right now so it wont be suprising it this doesn't kick off till June

Edited by Dr.Minky

I don't know if I can help you with my talentuous Java coding skills ( /irony, but I have good knowledge of Java though ) -but who knows, Notch has done Minecraft in Java :V - or my PHP/MySql (I'm in the web developement at the moment) but if I had loads of free time I would help you with the coding stuff .

Your idea sounds cool, but it depends of the other's motivation, and it requires time, a lot of time...

Edited by Chikennugget1

I've got a good eye for graphical design. I could maybe help out by criticizing and/or give ideas for design. Software-wise I'm not that good in Photoshop, but I know Illustrator pretty well. Logos, design manuals and colors tend to be my thing.

Your idea sounds cool, but it depends of the other's motivation, and it requires time, a lot of time...

Times my one worry. The summer holidays are just around the corner though, so hopefully we can try some stuff out and see what happens. It might fail, it might be brilliant, either way we wont know till we try.

I think if its ran good enough people will be able to motivate themselves, with small teams like this where people rely on each other it should be less of a problem.. Besides, if you're not motivated in this industry you're not gonna go very far are you! :)

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, keep it up

I foresee a lot of "ideas guys"

Not like that matters, people who aren't passionate about creating things will give up anyway.. Its not like I'm restricting this to L4G people only, there are lots of people out there who will leap at the chance to be part of something like this if it works out

So, are there ideas coming for the team?

If no, I would like to revive my good old project "The Operation Submarine", which requires Voice Actors (at least 1/5) at least 2 mappers (1/2), 1 person for making a few of models (like 2 - 4 models, I'd say) and someone for sound effects.

Those who know about it already, know what it is like :P

I had some old files for the mod prepared already (Aka map backgrounds, HUD, changed some options for weapons, etc.), think they shall be as for a HL2 mod instead, not EP2 (since ep2 cant be played in Belgium for some reason).

If you guys are interested, Ima make a steam group chat later on.

Edited by Mr. Darkness