Mr. Green Gaming

Possible Improvements in PVP

RedGander

PvP, while still exciting, could have some things that could be better. These issues have bothered me (and I'm sure other players) for a while and I decided to post them.

For instance, the new PvP logger system with the PvP logger entity is great, however, many people log off right before getting hit by an attack, or run away then wait for the PvP timer to run out, then disconnect. This could be solved if the PvP logger entity was created every time a person is near another player when logging out.

Another issue is enderpearls. I think this has been mentioned in another thread, but I'm saying it again because they are a pretty major factor. Ender pearls are moderately difficult to obtain, you might have to kill 3 endermen just to get a single ender pearl. Anyways, people just sit in their impenetrable bases, and the raider can't do anything but go home. And hacks contain the tools to get in, and this situation is only increasing the chances of the innocent player to turn into hacker.

Server lag is pretty much the biggest reason people are leaving the server, along with the nerfing of brewing and enchanting. In fights, some people are invisible, some look like they are teleporting around, and some are frozen in place, all factors greatly hindering battle. I have no idea what is causing it, but it would be great if that could be looked into. I tried logging in to some other faction wars servers, and they seemed blissfully fast even with more players on. On a side note, I'm not sure if this is related to lag, but at occasion people are randomly "kicked by an operator." Usually, that is a mere inconvenience, but in battle, you are counted as PVP logging and will be auto-killed for it.

The spamguard is not directly linked to PvP, but I can say it definitely affects it sometimes. Every day, every hour I play just about, I get kicked for spamming. Why? Maybe because I say "hi" twice in a row. Maybe if I type two things in succession, waiting my dutiful 500 milliseconds, that get sent at the exact same time due to server lag, and, kicks me for typing multiple things too fast. Also, many spammers get away with spamming really easily, while innocent players get kicked by spamguard ALL the time. They seem to have configurable spam clients that alters the message slightly while repeating at the maximum speed it can. Sometimes, this situation happens in PvP: I'm fighting, I kill them, then I chat to another player, I get kicked for spamming, then apparently I PVP logged, and I am killed for PvP logging.

Often in PVP, there is the subject of potions. In my time, I have seen several players that spam instant harm II potions in quick succession, and sometimes it very fast, and was so fast it was probably the product of hacks. I believe this has been mentioned before, but maybe some kind of timer could be put on potions to limit the machine gunned potions, even just one second would be helpful.

Why is this another topic about Minecraft PVP? There are atleast 5 other topics regarding this issue. There is seriously no need to start a new one. Please just look through the Minecraft topics first before posting your problems.

I just thought it would be nice to consolidate the issues. Sorry if it has bothered you.

The big issue is how Minecraft handles PvP. Point is, it's terrible for multiplayer. The combat system was build for PvE. It's unbalanced, it's unfair, and most people don't like engaging in it. I don't want to give the players that try to avoid combat the bad side of the deal here, because I can understand why they want to avoid combat altogether.

Ideas that cross my mind:

1. Disable PvP, make the game full survival PvE. Possibly improving the PvE with stronger or more interesting mob behaviour? This might be put off a lot of players since they enjoy clashing in PvP. It does solve a lot of issues.

2. Regulated PvP. Players or factions have to directly challenge each other before they can fight over territory. This way players can avoid PvP if they wish. Of course this pretty much kills any chance of ambushing others.

3. Improve current PvP somehow so it doesn't suck donkey dick.

I'm waiting for the Minecraft mod API to be released so I can actually do something with the game. You can only do so much with a Bukkit plugin.

I think the best option is 3.

Even though everyone bitches about how the server is atm, they all want pvp that's why they're on the l4g server and not on a freebuild server. It'll be dificult to get the right combination of bukket plugins till the mod Api gets released but I'm sure Awesomeo is handling it really well for the time being.

I have some ideas for overhauling the current PvP but it requires the modding API, if it gives me as much control over the games as I hope it will at least.

If I may, Clavus. I have a few possible ideas for the moment. For one, a reduction is the swing rate. Followed by making it so blocking stuns the opponent (unable to take any action) for a moment, has a damage block rate of 100%, but is only usable for a split second and has a fairly decent cooldown. If you did this, though, you'd have to delay the attack so it came about half a second to a second after the actual swing.

And buffing bows would help a lot, possibly by giving them 30-40% armor penetration. As bows are good against those without armor, but do nothing to people with diamond. Especially if they have protection. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't need a modding API for these changes, though I could be wrong.

Also, it would help if making invincible bases were harder/impossible. Right now all you need to do is drop some water on your base and getting it is near impossible. If they go the extra mile and make the water go down to bedrock then nothing will ever get in. Though I've no idea how you'd stop this. You'd probably need a modding API here to make new weapons/items/etc to combat this.

I have some ideas for overhauling the current PvP but it requires the modding API, if it gives me as much control over the games as I hope it will at least.

If I may, Clavus. I have a few possible ideas for the moment. For one, a reduction is the swing rate. Followed by making it so blocking stuns the opponent (unable to take any action) for a moment, has a damage block rate of 100%, but is only usable for a split second and has a fairly decent cooldown. If you did this, though, you'd have to delay the attack so it came about half a second to a second after the actual swing.

And buffing bows would help a lot, possibly by giving them 30-40% armor penetration. As bows are good against those without armor, but do nothing to people with diamond. Especially if they have protection. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't need a modding API for these changes, though I could be wrong.

Also, it would help if making invincible bases were harder/impossible. Right now all you need to do is drop some water on your base and getting it is near impossible. If they go the extra mile and make the water go down to bedrock then nothing will ever get in. Though I've no idea how you'd stop this. You'd probably need a modding API here to make new weapons/items/etc to combat this.

I think the combat changes you've described would be hard to explain and would be kind of complicated. Not to mention it wouldn't be vanilla anymore.

However, the armor-penetrating bows sounds like a really good balancer.

Also, doing something about impenetrable water cubes would be nice.