Mr. Green Gaming

Tekkit Server

awesomeo_5000

Hello,

I'm a huge fan of Technic, and recently decided to take my ventures online. The only problem I have, is every damn server suckkkkks. Wild spawns, stupid rules, idiotic communities. I was just wondering a couple of things: Does anyone have any good servers to play on, or if not, would anyone be interested in seeing if we can host a premium subscription server between us? If it's too much work for l4g a bunch of us could just sort it out amongst ourselves.

If you haven't played it, well why the heck not!? Check out Yogscast's tekkit series, it's an entertaining watch and breaks you into some of the concepts.

Tekkit has been suggested several times before You'll probably get the same response as the others, Faction Wars requires minimal moderation where as Vanilla or tekkit require a much more constant policing, Your idea of suggestion a combination is also slightly flawed, Tekkits extremely faulty when it comes to building permissions, especially in Residence or Towny and If I recall correctly Faction Wars is based off the latter. The functions of tekkit would easily gamebreak faction wars, EE would totally mess over resources and The high tier armors like quantum would completely kill the combat and quarrying and the mining laser would allow destruction of someone elses base without the need of lowering power. Your hearts in the right place but the current system doesn't really need a change.

No, the end game EE mod is crazy OP. Sure it'll take a week of work for 1 guy to reach it with the help of a whole faction. But that one guy will be practically invincible and able to kill anybody with a mere glance. The ring of arcana's ability to call upon lightning for a very low amount of EMC is just insane. And don't even get me STARTED on the griefing potential of the ring of arcana, the mercurial eye, nukes, nova cataclysms, and the hyperkinetic lense (ESPECIALLY the hyperkinetic lense).

Don't forget the duping problem on Tekkit.

Pretty much my thoughts on it. Tekkit is a hell of a thing to set up and maintain, abuseable and requires a megaton of ram if you're trying to hold up a player count higher than 15.

Edit: Failed to english.

Edit: Let me read the first post and not the title and try again.

Currently on a closed community server but I know a good provider and if anyone was willing to chip in I'd happily go about getting one set up and managed or assist in setting one up if someone else hosts.

Edited by Balmung

Balmung, just to point out, I think awesomeo is trying to suggest a normal server just for fun, without the raiding / "who's the best" part.

Even though you can always turn items into 'banned items' which will prevent duping.

Noticed after I'd already posted. which is why I striked it all out. Made an ammended reply below all that.

Yeah I wasn't thinking it'd be open to the mob you tend to get on faction wars.

If it were officially supported by MrGreen I'd imagine it to work a little like BF3, where you'd have to pay each month to be whitelisted and only run if the costs are covered. It wouldn't be particularly expensive, just looking quickly at redstone hosting you could support 30 players comfortably for 27USD monthly. Charge €3.50 and you're getting paid for effectively uploading ftp files and a little legwork to initially set it up.

If not, depending on demand all we'd need is someone experienced with tekkit server set up and a paypal address to send some moneys to. I like the community here, and I'd like to play some tekkit with y'all :V

Also in regards to duping, the server's I've been on have disabled a couple of items which doesn't detract from the gameplay too much. But if there isn't any competitive raiding edge, and restrictions on how much you can build using factions people would only really be duping to save themselves time. And they'll ruin their own fun by doing so. Plus, I don't really get the point in duping when the whole EE side of things takes care of anything you ever might need, ever, pretty efficiently.

Edited by awesomeo_5000

Right, I've taken the plunge and set up a pretty large capacity server. I'm just going to fiddle with plug-ins and what not to get it in a ready state and then you can all join me :) If you have any suggestions about plug-ins I should use it'd be appreciated, as I literally have no idea what I'm doing.

Balmung I'm looking at you, you seem to be in the know :V

Don't bump this topic just yet - hit the PM button. I don't wanna clog up MrGreen's MC section with my tom foolery. When everything's sorted I'll put a topic in a different section.

Edited by awesomeo_5000

I only just saw this, been at work all day :V. If there's really enough interest, I can dust off our subscription system which hasn't been used since BF3 to check how many are actually willing to subscribe. And if we end up with enough pledged, I can set a Tekkit server up under the minecraft.nl domain.

Prices vary a bit but I think you should count about $1.8 to $2 per player slot. Looking at Redstone hosting, my experience doesn't really compare to what they're offering. Our server has 20 players now for example, and it's using up to 2.5GB of RAM. Redstone hosting says '1.5GB RAM for up to 32 players'. They do appear to have a Burst RAM system in place (allowing you to use more RAM when needed) but I don't know if they start complaining when you use that for long periods of time. Plus it looks like they only host in the US. I'll try to contact them to see what they can offer exactly...

I'm currently ballsing around with a host, it's £10.50 per month for a shared server, 4.6GB of dedicated RAM all controlled through Multicraft. It's rated at 125 slots but I wouldn't push it over 40 personally. I get about 200-250ms ping, which for a tekkit server seems to be the norm.

So far the support's been instant, and it's pretty straight forward. My only issue is getting factions to work :V

Use code 'OFFICAL' for super discounts yo.

The kind guys from an old server hellocreeper were kind enough to upload a preconfigured .rar file with everything you need to upload. Theres a bunch of plugins that you can delete as necessary, but it's cool to have all the correct versions of popular plugins in one place:

Here.

Edited by awesomeo_5000

The problem that I find with Tekkit and public servers is that Tekkit requires a lot more time and resources to get it working correctly and if you play on public servers it's pretty much guaranteed that someone is going to grief so a lot of people rather play on small private servers. In my case I found that some of the mods just didn't fit like Equivalent Exchange which for me ruins the game by making it super easy to produce a lot of resources. Also, playing on a Tekkit server with a lot of players will not be fun in the end because of the massive load it creates on the server so everyone is just going to complain on the lag in the end.

I've hosted Tekkit with a couple of friends, we were maybe 12 people playing, and after a while the lag was extremely annoying and that server wasn't ran on someones own computer, this was hosted on a server with 16GB of RAM running Linux dedicated for servers. Our solution was to throw out Tekkit and create our own little mod pack with half the mods that Tekkit have which lead to less server load and a better experience. The only problem with this was that it's a bit trickier to distribute the mod pack without the fancy launcher that Tekkit have. But we solved that problem by simply creating an installer which installed all the files and set it up for the user so they could run it parallel with normal Minecraft.

Hello,

I'm a huge fan of Technic, and recently decided to take my ventures online. The only problem I have, is every damn server suckkkkks. Wild spawns, stupid rules, idiotic communities. I was just wondering a couple of things: Does anyone have any good servers to play on, or if not, would anyone be interested in seeing if we can host a premium subscription server between us? If it's too much work for l4g a bunch of us could just sort it out amongst ourselves.

If you haven't played it, well why the heck not!? Check out Yogscast's tekkit series, it's an entertaining watch and breaks you into some of the concepts.

I would pay a a few bucks for a tekkit server. I would be nice because I feel if people are paying to play, they will play more often and more seriously. I just hope its not as laggy as server.minecraft.nl because that would make me sad.

I'm not convinced that there is THAT much interest for a Mr. Green Tekkit server. At least it's not showing in this topic since everyone's setting up their own.

Your kidding, I would love to play on a left4green tekkit sever!!!!!!!!!!!!! Id pay to be on it too, as long as its not laggy it would be the greatest thing ever and give new tools for the mr.green minecraft community to use. :)