Mr. Green Gaming

Map Tutorials for dummies.

• 4 weeks later...
bump: Why not make a big brush > hollow?

I only do that if I'm making a test skybox, for the light_env.

NEVER DO THIS:

- When you resize it, it might cause leaks.

- You don't select 1 brush. You select them all.

- If you are going to texture it, it's really annoying.

- It's a solid design. You can't change anything about it. When you do, you destroy the whole room.

And it's that, or 10 seconds work, making regular room.

I'll bump this later to continue. I've been having some duties needed to be done. I'll start with this tomorrow.

And Btw, this is really a beginners thing. You don't need to know the above stated thing. Yet.

Ungroup them?

Just so you know, whenever you mastered all these things you can still suck, wanna know why?

IDEAS, ya need ideas to make a map, work with it, you can't work blank making up stuff on the way.

I have been mapping for almost 2 years and I still have no idea whatsoever, and I made a completely blank map, with mountains surrounding it, with a bunch of errors, and no theme at all, just a town in a desert.

I haz the mappers block.

Edited by Silver Dot

NEVER DO THIS:

- It's a solid design. You can't change anything about it. When you do, you destroy the whole room.

I'll bump this later to continue. I've been having some duties needed to be done. I'll start with this tomorrow.

And Btw, this is really a beginners thing. You don't need to know the above stated thing. Yet.

Ungroup them?

Just so you know, whenever you mastered all these things you can still suck, wanna know why?

IDEAS, ya need ideas to make a map, work with it, you can't work blank making up stuff on the way.

I have been mapping for almost 2 years and I still have no idea whatsoever, and I made a completely blank map, with mountains surrounding it, with a bunch of errors, and no theme at all, just a town in a desert.

I haz the mappers block.

Real mappers make a design first. Draw your map.

Say, I'm mapping for TF2, and I want a Payload map. You first draw the first stage completely. Then you look at it:

- Are you satisfied?

- Is it balananced?

- Is it fun?

If only one of those above said things is missing, you have to add things, renew things, or remove them.

Once you've done that, you've got a design to work on. That makes it much easier, or else it will become "endless", and therefor boring.

Valve does this too.

NEVER DO THIS:

Ungroup them?

I haz the mappers block.

Real mappers make a design first. Draw your map.

Say, I'm mapping for TF2, and I want a Payload map. You first draw the first stage completely. Then you look at it:

- Are you satisfied?

- Is it balananced?

- Is it fun?

If only one of those above said things is missing, you have to add things, renew things, or remove them.

Once you've done that, you've got a design to work on. That makes it much easier, or else it will become "endless", and therefor boring.

Valve does this too.

I see, well thanks for the tip, I'll try that too.

I made a design for CSS but it was already taken..Cs_desperados.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Displacements, Displacements everywhere! Part 1

Start up Hammer. Go to the workset bar, and click the "Texture application button".

post-48-129174860317_thumb.png

This little window should pop up.

post-48-129174861077_thumb.png

No data has been entered or filled in, because I started with a blank map. A little explanation:

==Texture Scale==

The size the texture will show.

To put it simple:

X is left and right;

Y is up and down.

Setting it to a higher scale than 0.25 (default), will make the texture will become blurrier and bigger. Setting it lower than 0.25, will make it sharper and smaller. Higher scales are useful for 3Dskyboxes. 3Dskyboxes make everything 16x bigger (default), so making the texture 16 times smaller than the one you're using in the map itself, will make it correspond with it. (making it seamless)

Higher scale textures can be used to slightly reduce the load on a pc. Use this only on textures that are still in the map, but not very visible.

I don't use this a lot; I'd rather cover it up and delete it all together.

==Texture Shift==

It works the same as above, only it shifts the texture left and right (X) and up and down (Y).

==Lightmapscale==

How big the lightmapscale should be. Default is 16. Lowering this will increase the lightmap data and make the lightmaps smaller; which in turn result in detailed shadows. Making this higher will make the lightmaps bigger; which in turn makes the lightmap bigger, and gives it a much more "cheap" look. Will result in faster compiling, and slight increase in FPS.

16 is the number of units the shadow will be. Making it lower will result in smaller boxes, thus more "real".

TIP: Only lower the lightmap on textures that you see! If you won't even see it, what's the point in adding extra data? Cover "sight" spots with lower lightmaps, and cover "out-of-sight" spots with higher lightmaps.

==Rotation==

Rotate the texture. (in degrees. 360 and 0 are the same :V)

I won't go over the rest, since I wanted to discuss displacements.

post-48-129174863155_thumb.png

I made a simple brush, and covered it with a grassy texture. Select the texture application tool (Quicky: "shift+a")

Select one face (this is important for now; if you'd click displacement right away, you are going to create a displacement of 6 sides. That's a lot more data than 1 side!) and head over to the displacement tab.

post-48-129174864264_thumb.png

Explanation:

==Select==

Select a face of a brush.

==Create==

Make an displacement with the selected faces.

==Destroy==

Destroy the displacement (turn it back into a brush)

Notice that the other buttons are gray or don't function yet. You need to turn it into a displacement first!

Now, press "create" with a face selected, and notice that the other sides disappear!

post-48-129174865726_thumb.png

And so am I! I'm going to finish this up tomorrow or in the weekend.

Edited by Botervloot
  • 5 months later...