Mr. Green Gaming

EnderPearlRevamp - new bukkit plugin by yours truly

Clavus

It's public too: https://github.com/Clavus/EnderPearlRevamp

EnderPearlRevamp

Bukkit plugin for Minecraft that changes the functionality of Ender Pearls.

Normally Ender Pearls are used to chicken out of fights or to cheaply invade enemy territory. With EnderPearlRevamp, I tried not to remove these practices but rather add a cost and risk.

Usage

When holding an Ender Pearl, left click the top face of a solid block to mark it.

By throwing a pearl against a block of the same type as the marked block, you will teleport to the marked block.

Details

You can only have one mark per type of block. By marking different types of blocks to created a personal teleportation network. Some blocks with metadata (wool, logs, stone brick, sandstone) are also considered distinct.

If your teleport fails, your thrown pearl falls back on the ground as an item.

By default, you do not teleport instantly when your pearl hits a block, but instead you start spinning. While spinning you are vulnerable to other players and mob: if you're damaged you could drop a few items from your inventory!

Took me a good chunk of my weekend to code. It's already up and running on the server.

Damn this sucks.. When i trow my pearl on the top of the block it says something with 0 and that i cant use it on that block... But i tried some shit out and i discovered it doesnt work a any block

Let me sketch a scenario so even the most dimwitted amongst us can understand the instructions.

---

You see a block of grass. You like this block of grass very much. So much, you want to be able to teleport to it whenever you want.

You take your ender pearl in your hand, and hit the top of the grass block using left click. This block of grass is now marked.

Some time later, you're at the other end of the map. You miss your block of grass very much. You see other grass blocks but you don't like those at all. 

You take your ender pearl in hand, and throw it against a random block of grass.

Whoosh! And now you're back at your favourite block of grass!

---

Now imagine you can replace the word 'grass' with any block type in the above description.

It really sucks, this is one of the worse plugins to be implemented.

How constructive. Ever thought about a career as Youtube commenter?

EDIT:

Another thing, I'm probably removing the random item dropping while spinning. Instead I'll make it so that if you take damage from something, like a player or mob, during the teleport sequence, you'll drop a few items. This way people fleeing from combat still risk losing stuff, but normal pearl users don't.

It's public too: https://github.com/Clavus/EnderPearlRevamp'>https://github.com/Clavus/EnderPearlRevamp

EnderPearlRevamp

Bukkit plugin for Minecraft that changes the functionality of Ender Pearls.

Normally Ender Pearls are used to chicken out of fights or to cheaply invade enemy territory. With EnderPearlRevamp, I tried not to remove these practices but rather add a cost and risk.

Usage

When holding an Ender Pearl, left click the top face of a solid block to mark it.

By throwing a pearl against a block of the same type as the marked block, you will teleport to the marked block.

Details

You can only have on mark per type of block. However, you can mark different types of blocks to created a personal teleportation network. Some blocks with metadata (wool, logs, stone brick, sandstone) are also considered distinct.

If your teleport fails, your thrown pearl falls back on the ground as an item.

By default, you do not teleport instantly when your pearl hits a block, but instead you start spinning. While spinning there is a chance you drop a few items from your inventory.

Took me a good chunk of my weekend to code. It's already up and running on the server.

This is actually really cool! Thanks Clavus! If the block we selected is broken, that's when we start spinning right?

This is almost like /tpa though. Let someone in your base they can select a single block and have free access to it...

Updated plugin to 1.2. Now you only drop 1 to 3 items if a player or mob damages you while spinning. This way someone that chases you can still get something out of it if you try to chicken out. You'll no longer lose items if you try to teleport without being attacked.

This is actually really cool! Thanks Clavus! If the block we selected is broken, that's when we start spinning right?

You start spinning if and only if the marked block is still intact. If the block you selected is removed, you cannot teleport. So if an enemy faction knows which block you marked, they can break that block, or try to set a trap.

Updated plugin to 1.2. Now you only drop 1 to 3 items if a player or mob damages you while spinning. This way someone that chases you can still get something out of it if you try to chicken out. You'll no longer lose items if you try to teleport without being attacked.

You start spinning if and only if the marked block is still intact. If the block you selected is removed, you cannot teleport. So if an enemy faction knows which block you marked, they can break that block, or try to set a trap.

You should make blocks that are able to be marked "special blocks" such as colored wool and such. It would add meaning to the wool option in the greencoins shop :)

You should make blocks that are able to be marked "special blocks" such as colored wool and such. It would add meaning to the wool option in the greencoins shop :)

It would kind of beat the point of this system. Right now you can create your own teleport network using all sorts of blocks. For example, use grass blocks like a sort of escape teleport, since those blocks are everywhere. You can mark the stone at spawn to have a teleport back to spawn. You could use different colours of wool to get around your base.

Note that you can now also throw ender pearls within enemy faction territory again.

It would kind of beat the point of this system. Right now you can create your own teleport network using all sorts of blocks. For example, use grass blocks like a sort of escape teleport, since those blocks are everywhere. You can mark the stone at spawn to have a teleport back to spawn. You could use different colours of wool to get around your base.

Note that you can now also throw ender pearls within enemy faction territory again.

Is the plugin generally stable? Will there be issues with EP glitching again? I suggest that you perhaps don't allow setting a block in enemy territory, to avoid "cheap enemy invasions."

One more question: How many teleports are we able to make? Is there a limit?

You can make as many teleports as there are solid block types. If you mark the same type of block twice, only the last one is remembered. Marked blocks are remembered between disconnects and server restarts.

As for player invasions, that is one of the intended uses. You can try to lure out enemies while having a marked teleporter prepared behind them, then use that to perform a surprise attack. However, getting into enemy bases is harder since you first need to get in on foot in order to mark a block. Or somehow trick the occupants into giving you a tour of the place so you can place marks all over.

Fighting in enemy bases can be tricky too, since you can't place blocks to use specific teleports. Knowing what blocks they have available inside their base can help you set up teleport routes.

You can make as many teleports as there are solid block types. If you mark the same type of block twice, only the last one is remembered. Marked blocks are remembered between disconnects and server restarts.

As for player invasions, that is one of the intended uses. You can try to lure out enemies while having a marked teleporter prepared behind them, then use that to perform a surprise attack. However, getting into enemy bases is harder since you first need to get in on foot in order to mark a block. Or somehow trick the occupants into giving you a tour of the place so you can place marks all over.

Fighting in enemy bases can be tricky too, since you can't place blocks to use specific teleports. Knowing what blocks they have available inside their base can help you set up teleport routes.

What I'm really nervous about are V-clippers. A player that's banned now used to always v-clip into my xp farmer and use it; he could simply set a block there, and ambush us; completely unfairly. 

Wow this actually seems like a good plugin. However Clavus, to not have a disaster like the furnace tower, limited brewing, and limited enchanting maps that lost 90% of the players, you should make some kind of announcement in game that all players will see.
It's hard to communicate these changes to all players, since there are people who ignore the motd, tips, forums and signs I placed at spawn.
Wow this actually seems like a good plugin. However Clavus, to not have a disaster like the furnace tower, limited brewing, and limited enchanting maps that lost 90% of the players, you should make some kind of announcement in game that all players will see.
It's hard to communicate these changes to all players, since there are people who ignore the motd, tips, forums and signs I placed at spawn.

You could do one of the messages that appears in chat that are repeated over time, like the one that tells you to chop down all the blocks in a tree. It'd be a lot easier for people to learn how the plugin works if they're not active on the forums, if they can click a link in chat to get an explanation.

Seems people are finally using the Ender Pearls to their full extent which, in case of our server, also means they can use it to easily grab the restocking loot from the Pirate Fortress I build by placing marks near the chests. I'll code in Factions support so I can set restrictions for marks placed in different Factions territories.

Edit: aaaaand implemented.