Mr. Green Gaming

Why PvPing as a Minecraft Admin is Unfair

RedGander

Before the admin defenders come to kill me, I'm not saying this is about abuse or anything similar. I love the admins on here, they're so much better than what I find on nearly any other server.

What I want to address is the built-in function of No-Cheat to let operators bypass the PvP lag caused by the plugin. After being an admin on several servers, I have found after conducting some tests that PvPing as an operator compared to a normal player's status boosts hitting range as seen by the opponent by a couple blocks, which is an enormous advantage, as well as allowing many more hits per second. In fact, PvPing as an admin, which grants bypasses to NoCheat, renders one nearly invulnerable.

post-9317-0-18123800-1366437327.jpg

post-9317-0-05940100-1366438407.jpg

As seen in the screenshots above, there exist included permissions nodes to bypass the lag caused by NoCheat on normal players. Operators on a server automatically inherit this permission. What I'm not saying is that any admins are hacking. When players fight on a server with NoCheat installed, the plugin has to check the player's movement, direction, etc., which causes a bit of time delay.

A possible solution if an admin such as Mathijs wishes to pvp, a simple permissions plugin could be installed (such as http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/permissionsex/), granting an admin all necessary permissions, but not the ability to bypass NoCheat. Perhaps there is a better way, but in any case, with the current setup, fighting as an admin is an enormous advantage.

Edited by RedGander

I highly doubt that this plugin will be installed, invincibility from knockback of crits are a downside since it gives more hits/second. The reach is hardly noticable at all.

At the moment there're no admins that pvp activly so it'll be a waste of server memory. I understand your concern but I doubt any admin will really use this advantage.

I highly doubt that this plugin will be installed, invincibility from knockback of crits are a downside since it gives more hits/second. The reach is hardly noticable at all.

At the moment there're no admins that pvp activly so it'll be a waste of server memory. I understand your concern but I doubt any admin will really use this advantage.

Well of course you do not notice anything. As an operator, you can view all players in their true positions; it is for the normal players that it is very visible. Hopefully I can record some footage soon to prove my points.

The only reason I brought this up is that you yourself have PvP'ed on MrGreen as an admin. There is not an equal playing field unless you are saying that no admin will ever fight again on the server (which I highly doubt). I'm not saying my solution is the only way, but I cannot think of anything else that would work well off the top of my head. Also, the storage file for a permissions plugin is tiny, only using up a few kilobytes, which is hardly something to be worried about. 

Edited by RedGander