Mr. Green Gaming

Oculus Rift

Haven't bragged about this thing here yet. Some of you (if not everyone by now) probably know I received my Oculus Rift developer kit about two weeks back. I was amongst the first 250 orders on their Kickstarter. Right now the list of order numbers ranges to about 50.000+ and people will be waiting for their kits for months (they ship about 1200 per week at the moment).

For those who don't know what the Oculus Rift is; it's basically the start of the age of virtual reality gaming!

tumblr_inline_mlnoqqxwwY1qz4rgp.jpgtumblr_inline_mlnor33efu1qz4rgp.jpg

For a quick overview how it works, see this video demonstrating the VR mode Valve added to TF2 a while back:

There are tons of cool demonstrations already (for a list, check RiftEnabled or The Rift List). There are also drivers that add Rift capabilities to older games (think HL2, Skyrim, Mirror's Edge) although I haven't got those working properly yet. Some of the best demos are the ones created by the community right now, like the spaceship dogfighting game First Law.

The consumer version of the Rift is planned for Q3 2014 or something. First Oculus will probably release an upgraded dev kit by the end of this year. The current developer kit still has plenty to improve on; the pixel density is low, there's a noticeable screendoor effect, and it doesn't do positional tracking yet. This will all be tackled in future versions. Right now, the rotational headtracking and the 3D effect are amazing. The headset is light, and relatively cheap ($300). Everything is coming together for a real VR revolution, it'll be an exciting time for gamers :)

Been playing Valve's official VR mode for Half-Life 2 yesterday. It's in the beta branch right now for which you can opt-in.

You haven't played Half-Life 2 until you've played it with a Rift. The whole game seemed to have been made with VR in mind, it's crazy. The enemies (a lot of them attack up close, which is enjoyably terrifying in VR), the environment (much to explore and little things to pick up) and the story overall (silent protagonist and your camera is never taken from you). It's seriously the best VR game available right now.

Been playing Valve's official VR mode for Half-Life 2 yesterday. It's in the beta branch right now for which you can opt-in.

You haven't played Half-Life 2 until you've played it with a Rift. The whole game seemed to have been made with VR in mind, it's crazy. The enemies (a lot of them attack up close, which is enjoyably terrifying in VR), the environment (much to explore and little things to pick up) and the story overall (silent protagonist and your camera is never taken from you). It's seriously the best VR game available right now.

I can't wait to try this out. It looks incredible, and I really hope it lives up to the hype. How is accuracy in FPS games with it?

it looks cool, but is it like virtual boy were you can only like have it on for less then an hour or two.

Too me its a big deal cause i wanna sit for a long time and play and not sit for like 30-60 min and then go away.

As far as i have heard, it is really relaxing for your eyes since you are always focused on a distant object, so for the stress on the eyes it should be no problem for longer periods of time, i have no idea if it makes you feel dizzy or something after a while but i guess that part is mostly up to your own body/brain

I can't wait to try this out. It looks incredible, and I really hope it lives up to the hype. How is accuracy in FPS games with it?

I play HL2 with mouse and keyboard. I can make the same reactionary movements as I normally would without it feeling bad, I'm just as accurate as I am normally (even though a metrocop's head at 50m distance is like one pixel due to the low pixel density at the moment). The Rift complements pretty much every control scheme, and Valve's implementation of FPS aiming works great.

it looks cool, but is it like virtual boy were you can only like have it on for less then an hour or two.

Too me its a big deal cause i wanna sit for a long time and play and not sit for like 30-60 min and then go away.

The virtual boy was the same idea, but failed because the technology just wasn't there yet. I could play hours with the Rift without feeling eye strain or getting a headache. The reason I don't is because playing HL2 in VR can be mentally exhausting because of how intense the whole experience is, you really need the break to catch your breath and mentally process all the cool shit you just did. It really is that awesome.

The virtual boy was the same idea, but failed because the technology just wasn't there yet. I could play hours with the Rift without feeling eye strain or getting a headache. The reason I don't is because playing HL2 in VR can be mentally exhausting because of how intense the whole experience is, you really need the break to catch your breath and mentally process all the cool shit you just did. It really is that awesome.

That will be really awesome, Amnesia is (at least to me) already mentally exhausting, as well as many other good horror games ^^ CAN NOT WAIT ANY LONGER!

• 2 weeks later...

If I would order it now, when do you guess I'll be recieving it?

Also, is it easy to configure or do you actually need to know a lot about what you're doing?

I really want to have one aswell, but I don't want to wait more than 3 months, neither do I want a very difficult install for every game.

I play HL2 with mouse and keyboard. I can make the same reactionary movements as I normally would without it feeling bad, I'm just as accurate as I am normally (even though a metrocop's head at 50m distance is like one pixel due to the low pixel density at the moment). The Rift complements pretty much every control scheme, and Valve's implementation of FPS aiming works great.

You just made my hopes even higher!

Also. OH GOD!

Have you tried Chivalry with it yet? Does Chivalry even work with it?

I was playing a few matches and just thought of how terrifying it must be to get your head chopped right off and see your body laying on the ground as you (your head) rolls down the hill.