Mr. Green Gaming

Lagtactular, part 2

EDIT: Ignore the title, i am tying in darkness, can't see a thing.

Hey, i'll make this short. We all know that sometimes, when there are lots of players, the server lags like hell. Gameplay is frustrating. I remember, one year ago, in full load (44 players), the server wasn't lagging a bit. What happened? Garry's mod update ? Internet problems ? This lag is ruining all the fun in the game .. :( Maybe a lua script to counteract Garry Newman's update? D: I am waiting for your replies (top crew) and support of other players. Thanks.

Edited by -N7-BloodGuard Deluvas

One of many possible causes:

DoS attack by MySQL servers by too many querys, Ywa says it is not this.

Running too many think hooks on the server. Possibly this, as ZS code is really unoptimised

DDoS attack -- Probably not, host would deal with that soon enough.

Shop/GC system saving // connecting too often

One of many possible causes:

DoS attack by MySQL servers by too many querys, Ywa says it is not this.

Running too many think hooks on the server. Possibly this, as ZS code is really unoptimised

DDoS attack -- Probably not, host would deal with that soon enough.

Shop/GC system saving // connecting too often

There are no attacks, the Think hook is running at a constant time frame (I benched that) and the GC system only handles it files when a player joins or leaves. As for the rest, server -> client communication in lua seems to be fine. Net_graph 3 shows an abnormal jump in entity traffic around these lag periods and I haven't got a clue what's causing it.

I took this Ywa took this a few months back:

clav.png

You see it clearly in action here. "Other players" and "entities" suddenly claiming a lot of traffic.

I don't know if there is a connexion between prop and door destruction feature and lag. I haven't played on other servers with this feature. I have to agree with hundred2, props warp ... frog jump is still possible .. D:. I think frog jump is responsible for all this :(

lets hope the gibs = the big bad cause of this mess.

if it is the gibs then their causing a similar problem on IW, but to a more extreme extent, such as crashing gmod entirely, i have to spam my "turn off gore in the f3 options menu" whenever someone new joins the server

@clavus, when will you bring out that update? i want to see bloody gore again :(

Occams razor maybe? (is it that guy)

"The explanation that is most simple is the one that is true"

It may look like the gibs dont do it. but imagine. 27 zombies 6 humans. A LOT OF GIBS.

Maybe the gibs are the cause?

Maybe make the gibs non clollide and see what happens.

Occams razor maybe? (is it that guy)

"The explanation that is most simple is the one that is true"

It may look like the gibs dont do it. but imagine. 27 zombies 6 humans. A LOT OF GIBS.

Maybe the gibs are the cause?

Maybe make the gibs non clollide and see what happens.

The zombies do not create any server gibs (unless you're throwing one with the poison zombie). Only humans do. And those only gib if they're hit with massive damage like by a prop kill.

• 1 month later...