Mr. Green Gaming

Fretta gamemode contest

Clavus

http://frettacontest.facepunchstudios.com/

Garry is launching a gamemode coding contest shortly to support the Fretta gamemode base. I plan on entering.

Prizes (this is where it gets good):

1st Prize

* $5000 USD

* Gamemode shipped with GMod

* Opportunity to add up to 10 Steam Achievements in your gamemode

* Periodically update your gamemode via Steam

2nd Prize

* $2000 USD

3rd, 4th and 5th Prize

* $1000 USD

As you can see, pretty astonishing.

SO.

I'm putting down criteria for my gamemode, and try to develop that one killer idea:

* The gamemode will be used in the Fretta framework, so it's cycled with other gamemodes. Thus the game shouldn't last too long.

* I want it to have co-op.

* It needs to have good replay value.

* It needs to be damn fun.

Any of my previous ideas don't fit in these criteria, so I need to think up a brand new one. You guys can join the brainstorming session if you want.

You remember that Soldiers vs. Knights idea I posted while ago?

What about that, but with NPCs as Knights instead of players?

I'll be sure to report to you if I come up with something.

Good luck man, good luck.

You must own the rights to all the content in the gamemode (except the Valve stuff GMod has mounted of course) so no additional models / music unless it's custom made for you.

Ok what has been done before?

Sandbox,

All kinds of zombie mods already made (if you don't want IW xP)

Flight stimulator maybe..? But I don't think it will fit the engine very well..

Roleplaying - BORING + already made :P

parkour mod = genious, but already made

racing mod?

Pokemon game in FPS style? I guess someone has made it before + it would take a lot of time (would have been awesome though)

Maybe make a mod with some time-machine technology? :yeah:

(That one must be really hard to make, but I bet it would be alot of fun if made into singleplayer & coop)

LOTR mod? LOTR maps? Idk XD

Too bad someone already made Tower Defence, because It's awesome XD

How about an underwater mod?

Loads of opportunities, crazy hungry sharks, nuclear attack overwater, try to build a society underwater.??

Random concept #1:

Build to the top (sorta):

- There are 2 to 4 teams

- Players have gravgun (without punt)

- They use crates to build higher and higher (crates freeze in the air)

- On specific spots floating high up in the map are special boxes that can only be opened if you deliver a melon

- Melons spawn on the ground, thus requiring the players to go up and down his own structure

- These special boxes might contain:

• Points to win the game
  • Specific equipment

- Specific equipment might consist of:

• A rope gun that picks up stuff from the ground (basically allowing you to catch stuff on the ground from higher up)
  • A gun that can destroy a few enemy crates

Random concept #2:

This is one is partially based on a Game Maker game I once played

- Small teams of about 3 persons at most

- Players can fly around freely

- You stack stuff on one another to build a tower of props

- There is a certain minimum height your tower needs to reach, if your tower is below this height, your team loses points, if your tower is higher, it gains points

- During the game, several obstacles will try break your tower:

• NPCs of some sort?
  • Cannons that shoot new props (but might topple your tower)

- You should be able to fight these obstacles / enemies somehow.

- The highest amounts of points your team had during the game will determine your teams final score

- Team with the highest score wins

- NOTE: I should use Propper to make building block models in Hammer.

DISCLAIMER: If you use these ideas I have the right to receive half the prize money you win :V

Random concept #3:

Break the other team's stuff.

- 2 teams, separated by a wall of about 3 meters high

- Each team has a large set of crates (maybe other props) they need to protect

- Teams have a set of equipment:

• A team cannon gun: right click 'absorbs' a team member, left click shoots him from your gun. This is the only way to get players over the wall.
  • A crowbar, to break stuff.
  • A submachinegun, to kill players that launch over the wall to your side.

- Once you're launched over the wall, you lose your submachinegun. You keep the team cannon and crowbar.

- Every prop that is broken respawns at side of the team that broke it.

- The team with the most props on his side at the end of the round, wins.

This actually sounds pretty fun. Mainly because of the player launching.

Good luck Clavus, also I just thought about this:

•••City builder gamemode•••

- Two teams: Builders and Externalities.

•Builders have a limited time to build a city, they have a menu where they choose which building they can put, at which price etc...

A building gives a certain amount of points.

There are different constructions:

-Home/House/Flat...:Attract people and allow them to live in your city.

-Work Zones: Your inhabitants work, that gives you money you can spend into buildings.

-Commercial zones: Trade money or ressources(?) with other players.

•Externalities: Their role is to be noxious for your economy, or not!

They have to choose which externality they want to be, good or bad one?

-Bad: -Natural Catastrophes (Hurricanes, Earthquakes...)

-Economic crisis (Price of habitations increases so inhabitants leave your city for example)

-Your inhabitants are unhappy so they uprise!

-A city decides to block his trades with yours.

-Add more ideas here...

•Good externalities: -You earn money because your inhabitants are happy.

-Taxes give you more money.

-More inhabitants!

-Another city (NPC controlled?) opened a trading way and lowered his prices...

-Add ideas...

Well it would be a complexe gamemode but that's an idea which is not exploited at all in Gmod.

Also the game would essentially be played with menus (to manage money, buildings etc) due to source engine not good at putting a lot of elements.

Feel free to simplify this :V

Good luck Clavus, also I just thought about this:

•••City builder gamemode•••

- Two teams: Builders and Externalities.

•Builders have a limited time to build a city, they have a menu where they choose which building they can put, at which price etc...

A building gives a certain amount of points.

There are different constructions:

-Home/House/Flat...:Attract people and allow them to live in your city.

-Work Zones: Your inhabitants work, that gives you money you can spend into buildings.

-Commercial zones: Trade money or ressources(?) with other players.

•Externalities: Their role is to be noxious for your economy, or not!

They have to choose which externality they want to be, good or bad one?

-Bad: -Natural Catastrophes (Hurricanes, Earthquakes...)

-Economic crisis (Price of habitations increases so inhabitants leave your city for example)

-Your inhabitants are unhappy so they uprise!

-A city decides to block his trades with yours.

-Add more ideas here...

•Good externalities: -You earn money because your inhabitants are happy.

-Taxes give you more money.

-More inhabitants!

-Another city (NPC controlled?) opened a trading way and lowered his prices...

-Add ideas...

Well it would be a complexe gamemode but that's an idea which is not exploited at all in Gmod.

Also the game would essentially be played with menus (to manage money, buildings etc) due to source engine not good at putting a lot of elements.

Feel free to simplify this :V

It's meant to be a "quick" gamemode as far as I know, and this sounds really hard to code AND it sounds like it has a pretty long playtime.

#4 A random concept of mine

- 2 player (Human controlled) teams.

- 4 minute roundtime.

- 2 almost identical buildings with around 2-3 levels, facing each other.

- Some sort of river or pit between the 2 buildings, linked by a destroyable bridge.

- Each building level unlocks at a specific time in the round or can be unlocked by accomplishing objectives (don't ask me what, I haven't thought about it too much)

- Your team gains score and strength by unlocking levels faster.

- 3-4 player classes to choose from. Identical for both teams.

- Players spawn on the first level, in their building, with class specific weapons.

- At the last level, in each building, there is a boss (NPC). He is locked in a room. (until the 4th level unlocks). The main objective of the game is to kill him.

- Destroyable bridge (secondary objective), walls (not all of them; we don't want a lot of phys calculations in gmod lol)

- Different powerups, placed in the map. Health, speed, strength, etc.

- Strategic points on each level. You can conquer enemy levels (in order from 1 to 4 - UT3 onslaught style)

- Respawn.

- If you conquer the level with the enemy spawn points you will the round. (after they are all dead, of course)

- The team that kills the boss first (NPC) wins the round ! If that doesn't happen, then the team with most points wins the game.

^^ Sort of .. needs to be fun and less frustrating when you die. Some ideas may not fit together..

post-18-125945270055_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Don't want to make it hard to play. Need to make it even simpler than this.

Idea #5: You are driving some sort of floating vehicle (a manhack or something) and you have to avoid some obstacles, get power-ups, shoot enemy players down. (Sort of like that gamemode with flying machines I worked on - Chicken, Corby and some others should remember.. they've played it)

EDIT#2: Finished editing (:D)

Edited by Deluvas

I have another Idea!

Suicide Box

There was a mod for Half life², I don't remember its name (But I think that was Impossible Suicide or something like that), where there were 2 teams, plants and humans.

There was only one map, a square, full of plants (destructibles!) and the Plants Team was just like the plant props, they had the same model etc...

The goal was to approach near a human and click to suicide so it would destroy yourself and kill your enemy.The Humans had to kill the plants before they reach them.

•So basically it can be the same thing for Gmod:

• Two teams:

-Boxes: You have to kill the hunters, come close to a human and left click to explode, it kills the nearest human!

-Hunters: Protect yourself against the Boxes, you have a baseball bat to find where the Boxes are, so you can crush the box props and maybe find a living Box.You also have a Stun gun, it stuns the Boxes for a few seconds (5 seconds cooldown for this weapon)so you can reach them and kill them, no effect on the prop boxes of course.

-So basically, the map would be full of boxes, it can be any sort of map, a warehouse, a square etc... You just need to have a lot of boxes in it, props.

Each player from the Boxes Team has a box model instead of the gmod model you have (you know, player model...) and Hunters have some few models (maybe some combines?).

-There are 2 rounds, each with a 4-5 minutes duration (maybe less...), if there is a draw at the end of he 2 rounds then a third round starts and the team who wins this round win the match.

-Regularly some power-ups appear on the map, they are for the Hunters or for the Boxes, which means that if you are a Hunter you can't pick up the Box's power-ups and vice-versa.

Power-ups are for example:

• Hunters

-Stun gun has a reduced cooldown (2 seconds instead of 5?), lasts 15 seconds (?)

-Big Health: You don't die in one explosion (if a box explodes you don't die immediatly, you have a few hp left so the box have to explode a second time to kill you). Lasts 20 seconds if you are not touched by any explosion(after that delay you get your previous hp)

-6th sense: If a box is right behind you your 6th sense warns you (maybe some beep sound?)Lasts 15 seconds.

•Boxes

-Bigger range: The next time you'll explode, the explosion range is bigger than normally.(lasts 30 seconds or until you explode).

-Speed-up!: For 10 seconds your speed is increased, if you die the effect ends.

-Energy Immunity: For 10 seconds you can't be stunned when a Hunter shoots with his Stun Gun.

-Invisible Box: When you stop moving you become invisible, when you move you become visible, then invisible if you stop moving etc...(like the Wraith in Zombie Survival), lasts 20 seconds.

I think that could be a great game, it just needs a few nice maps, with various designs (not only squares one, but maybe play with the verticality etc..?)

:)

I have another Idea!

Suicide Box

There was a mod for Half life², I don't remember its name (But I think that was Impossible Suicide or something like that), where there were 2 teams, plants and humans.

There was only one map, a square, full of plants (destructibles!) and the Plants Team was just like the plant props, they had the same model etc...

The goal was to approach near a human and click to suicide so it would destroy yourself and kill your enemy.The Humans had to kill the plants before they reach them.

•So basically it can be the same thing for Gmod:

• Two teams:

-Boxes: You have to kill the hunters, come close to a human and left click to explode, it kills the nearest human!

-Hunters: Protect yourself against the Boxes, you have a baseball bat to find where the Boxes are, so you can crush the box props and maybe find a living Box.You also have a Stun gun, it stuns the Boxes for a few seconds (5 seconds cooldown for this weapon)so you can reach them and kill them, no effect on the prop boxes of course.

-So basically, the map would be full of boxes, it can be any sort of map, a warehouse, a square etc... You just need to have a lot of boxes in it, props.

Each player from the Boxes Team has a box model instead of the gmod model you have (you know, player model...) and Hunters have some few models (maybe some combines?).

-There are 2 rounds, each with a 4-5 minutes duration (maybe less...), if there is a draw at the end of he 2 rounds then a third round starts and the team who wins this round win the match.

-Regularly some power-ups appear on the map, they are for the Hunters or for the Boxes, which means that if you are a Hunter you can't pick up the Box's power-ups and vice-versa.

Power-ups are for example:

• Hunters

-Stun gun has a reduced cooldown (2 seconds instead of 5?), lasts 15 seconds (?)

-Big Health: You don't die in one explosion (if a box explodes you don't die immediatly, you have a few hp left so the box have to explode a second time to kill you). Lasts 20 seconds if you are not touched by any explosion(after that delay you get your previous hp)

-6th sense: If a box is right behind you your 6th sense warns you (maybe some beep sound?)Lasts 15 seconds.

•Boxes

-Bigger range: The next time you'll explode, the explosion range is bigger than normally.(lasts 30 seconds or until you explode).

-Speed-up!: For 10 seconds your speed is increased, if you die the effect ends.

-Energy Immunity: For 10 seconds you can't be stunned when a Hunter shoots with his Stun Gun.

-Invisible Box: When you stop moving you become invisible, when you move you become visible, then invisible if you stop moving etc...(like the Wraith in Zombie Survival), lasts 20 seconds.

I think that could be a great game, it just needs a few nice maps, with various designs (not only squares one, but maybe play with the verticality etc..?)

:)

Sounds like Suicide Survival.