Mr. Green Gaming

Valve and Sony

Ywa

We had a discussion about this earlier @ IRC. I think that Sony will buy Valve in 2011. Here are the reasons why:

• Microsoft has GFWL and puts a lot of money into it.
  • Sony has no part in the PC gaming industry yet and they know it still got a future.
  • Valve wants to expand to other platforms (with Steamworks).

Clues:

• Valve announced that Portal 2 on the PS3 will be the best console version.
  • Portal 2 on the PS3 will have exclusive Steamworks-related features on the PS3.
  • Agreement between Valve and EA (current publisher) expires soon (they can renew it though).
  • DC Universe Online is one of the few games from Sony that gets released on both PC and PS3. Release is late 2010 if I'm right.
  • Valve tries to be part on as many platforms as possible.

Possible future:

• Sony buys Valve.
  • Valve remains as a independent studio (that means that they keep making what they want, not what Sony wants).
  • Steam-part of Valve will be transferred to Sony to merge with PSN.
  • Sony can invest a lot in Valve > more & (hopefully) even better games.

Discuss.

But on a serious note, I think it would be cool for Sony and Valve to be together, but I just have that strange fear that Sony will tell Valve to make terrible games and Valve will go NOUU! And it all goes up shit creek.

Well.. Sony seems to be focussed on all those exclusive games. And all those exclusive games are really high quality and relatively new types of games (such as LBP and Heavy Rain). I don't think Sony would fuck it up.

I don't think Sony can afford to buy Valve. Valve must be worth a hell of a lot and Sony are doing rather badly at the moment.

Haha. Sony is a huge company. They could buy Valve easily.

Valve might not really want to be bought. They're doing brilliantly on their own and probably prefer not having to answer to a larger company.

I thought the same before. But it seems Valve wants to expand to other platforms & consoles. And it's difficult doing that alone.

I found the idea that Sony could buy Valve extremely unlikely, since Valve has always acted as an independent studio. This is actually affirmed by their recent moves to the Mac and PS3 community, they want to expand beyond the Microsoft dominated domain of the PC and Xbox 360. If Valve would be bought by Sony they'll have to stop making Xbox games, and that's not their target. They strive to target a larger audience than anyone else.

The fact that they can integrate Steamworks in a PS3 title (Portal 2) opens up a lot of room for speculation though. Who knows they might partner up for the next generation of consoles where the PS4 has Steam running on it instead of that horribly designed Playstation store.

If Valve would be bought by Sony they'll have to stop making Xbox games, and that's not their target.

Most likely yes. But Valve could make an agreement with Sony about releasing to X360.

If they're bought by Sony they're PART of Sony. That's what buying a company means. And what company makes games for its rival's consoles?

If Valve would be bought by Sony they'll have to stop making Xbox games, and that's not their target.

Most likely yes. But Valve could make an agreement with Sony about releasing to X360.

If they're bought by Sony they're PART of Sony. That's what buying a company means. And what company makes games for its rival's consoles?

Microsoft also makes applications for Mac (Office, anyone? :V ). It's very unlikely. But I guess it's going to be phased out in that case. For example, only total new games not to X360.

Microsoft also makes applications for Mac (Office, anyone? :V ). It's very unlikely. But I guess it's going to be phased out in that case. For example, only total new games not to X360.

I dont also think sony is going to make games for xbox360?, besides there is an change that microsoft will buy Valve up i quess it goes for them who ever pays the most (or not ?). or there is just a change nothing of this will happen.