Mr. Green Gaming

How to turn your photo into movie-like effect using Photoshop

bastardman

Hi everyone. Now when we got this tutorial section, I'd like to bring you all some tutorials. :)

This is a tutorial of how to make a movie-like effect in Photoshop. You will learn a bit about colour mood adjustments, depth of field effect and film effects.

I used this picture, for anyone who want to make it precise. :) But you can use any picture you'd like. Okey, let's start!

1. Adjust the Hue/Saturation: (CTRL-U), or go to Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation.

Use these settings:

Hue: 0

Saturation: -76

Lightness: 0

And everything else at default.

2. Adjust the brightness and contrast: Image > Adjustments > Exposure

Use these settings:

Exposure: 1

Offset: -0,3450

Gamma: 1,74

Depth of field effect

3. Duplicate the layer by right clicking it, and press "Duplicate layer".

4. Apply lens blur on the new duplocated layer: Filter > Blur > Lens Blur.

Adjust till it suits your preferences.

Here are my settings:

turt1qd6.jpg

(They might be different if you used a different image, but I'm sure it will turn out OK with these settings.)

5. Click on the "Add layer mask" button at the bottom of Layer window (The little box marked with a 1 next to it at the image), then click and select the "Layer mask thumbnail". (The rectangle marked with a 2 next to it)

turt2gg0.jpg

6. Select the Brush Tool ,(use the Soft Round brush and set it to 400, like I did in the image),

turt3lk6.jpg

then choose the focus point (the middle, or the guy carrying that thing on my picture :P) in the photo and click on it.

7. Create a new layer by clicking the "Create a new Layer" button located at the bottom of Layer window. (turt4qg3.jpg)

8. Fill the new layer with black colour. Reset colour to default (black and white) by pressing D, then swap black with white, by pressing X. The background colour is now black. Fill the layer by pressing Ctrl + Backspace.

9. Set the opacity of the black layer to 70% by pressing 7.

10. Use Erease tool (E), (Use the same brush (Soft Round)) set the Master Diameter to 400px, then earese some parts in the middle of the picture. (Looks better with less white colour in the picture, unlike my picture had :/)

11. Now flatten the image. Layer > Flatten Image. After that use Filter > Noise > Add Noise, with these settings:

Amount: 4,5

Distribution: Uniform

Monochromatic box checked.

Cinemascope (optional)

12. Add a black bar on top and bottom of the picture, and it's done!

Make a new layer (In case it would fail), and use the Rectangular Marquee Tool (M) and select over the upper, or bottom part of the image, and then press Ctrl + Backspace if you still got white as foreground colour, and black as background. If you're unsure about it, just press D, then X.

Then just duplicate the layer, and drag it to the bottom with the Move Tool (V) (Photoshops will try to get it stationed inside the image, so it should be easy to make it perfect)

You can also change the colour a bit by pressing Ctrl + B. Drag the sliders a bit to the Cyan, and Blue ways at all the three Tone Balances, Shadows, Midtones and Highlights.

And you're done!

Heres my result:

Original:

lolrr0.jpg

Photoshop'd:

movieeffectshitml5.jpg

Not the best, but it would look better in a really high-res picture.

Good luck! :)

Looks damn nice. You created the tutorial yourself?

I took some stuff from other tutorials, and then modified it a bit. :P

Why the black bars? They are too large in my opinion. Also, the picture is a bit too blurry. But still it looks nice, it reminds me of Assassin's Creed. ^^

Look at part 5-10 in the tutorial. :P

It removes some blur in the middle of it, so it's blurry around, but not in the middle, so it focuses on the man carrying that thing. x'd

Also, the black bars are optional.

• 1 month later...