Mr. Green Gaming

Learning a new Language: German

Dr.Minky

Hello fellow Greenies. I have decided to give an actual decent attempt at trying to learn another language. Its something I've always wanted to do in the past, and what with me speaking with a fair few of you guys here I figure now would be a good time to start! I'm going to try and learn German, didn't wanna learn french cause it suckz as its a country I'm quite likely to want to visit as find it quite interesting. Luckily I have some loooveeelyyy friends (Raptor, Xeimo, xxx) who are going to help me out! It shall take a long time I know, but I'm really looking forward to it. Too native English speakers are overly content with everyone else speaking English in my opinion :V

I would presume its considerably harder for an English speaker to pick up a new language, given that most of you speak at LEAST two languages already, but I was wondering what helped you guys when first learning a language? When learning a new language (preferably if you didnt have tuition), where did you start off? Do you think its best to get a better understanding of writing before you move onto speaking, or the opposite?

Thanks for any advice in advance, and to those of you helping me sorry that I'm a complete nawb :frog:

How many languages do you know already?

Just English, that's why I want to learn one now. I had to learn French through middle school and I hated it.. Only cause the language sucked imo, so I want to start on a language that sounds interesting to me that I will use regularly.

Dutch, is, a possibility. In the future. But German now, it will be the easiest to learn as I talk to Germans more frequently. But I'd like to learn more languages in the future :D It'd be fun to go traveling

Edited by Dr.Minky

The cases are pretty hard. Like when to choose between writing 'der' or 'die' or 'das' or 'des' or 'dem' or whatever. I got most of them wrong during an oral exam and my teacher called me a bad guesser.

I NEVER got 'em right at school. NEVER! Even with gambling just one of those options I still got 3's and 4's out of 10. It was fucking horrible.

I can't really explain it, it brings back these german-course-schooltraumas. But English is easier cause it's just 'the man', 'the woman', 'the child', everything is 'the', but in German that would be 'der Mann', 'die Frau', 'das Kind' every word has it's own article, and it depends on the sentence and the word which one you should use.

I can't really explain it, it brings back these german-course-schooltraumas. But English is easier cause it's just 'the man', 'the woman', 'the child', everything is 'the', but in German that would be 'der Mann', 'die Frau', 'das Kind' every word has it's own article, and it depends on the sentence and the word which one you should use.

So I guess its masculine and feminine words, like in French its le, la, etc. At least I've been over it once before, should help with general sentence structure

But it's the best language to shout commands at anybody. You can't do that in French.

nailed-it.jpg

Edited by Dr.Minky

German is hard enough, good luck. I have been doing it for 4 years now at school and I can't speak it yet.

I believe French and German are very important to know. French because it is spoken by millions of people, not only in Europe but in Africa too, and German because it is one of the most spoken languages in Europe.

Someday, I wanna learn German, French and Dutch fluently. I don't consider learning more languages as important, since everyone speaks English today,

Wow german. (its a bitch!) I've had german in school for 1 and a half year and i dont understand much exept the words that look like the danish ones :/

But i must say GL beacuse you gonna have to work hard!

P.S. No offence but i kidda hate you English men (for invading Denmark just beacuse we wont give our shizz to you free and we have to learn 2 new langues)

In Finland you have to learn English and Swedish in schools and that is one of the reasons i hate sweden

That and the Finnish just hate the Swedish anyway?

But minky, good luck child, German's an interesting one.

Nein, meinen sommebrillen ist kaput. (Ill be told that I've got the grammar wrong there :V)

In Finland you have to learn English and Swedish in schools and that is one of the reasons i hate sweden

That and the Finnish just hate the Swedish anyway?

But minky, good luck child, German's an interesting one.

Nein, meinen sommebrillen ist kaput. (Ill be told that I've got the grammar wrong there :V)

yeah that's why i said its only one of the reasons