Mr. Green Gaming

Server Tickrate

Dear header_logo.pngStaff

Could you please lower the tickrate?

Valve explains Tickrate as: "During each tick, the server processes incoming user commands, runs a physical simulation step, checks the game rules, and updates all object states. After simulating a tick, the server decides if any client needs a world update and takes a snapshot of the current world state if necessary. A higher tickrate increases the simulation precision, but also requires more CPU power and available bandwidth on both server and client."

It can be easily done too,

Plugin 1

Plugin 2

etc.

There are enough plugins to do it, and if you lower it, more people will be able to join and the server will have less load. Not to mention, the surf server will be more populated because it will be more challenging, right now, alot of people can get all the weapons or do the pro way, it does the map injustice and make it seem a noob map because before the achievement patch, the server was 33 tickrate, it always had players in it. Now, it sadly gets empty at times, the patch changed it to 66. i hope i got through to you guys.

With Kind Regards,

Reap3r, Goldon Fleeman etc.

Actually, it was the other way around - it got changed from 33 to 66.

(as stated in http://store.steampowered.com/news/3976/ (bottom of "General"))

What it did was that one could reach high speeds easier. Most maps became retardedly easy and dogfights turned into a question of who had the better latency.

Post #2 of http://forums.solidsurf.info/index.php?topic=1432.0 explains this quite well.

Plugin 1

Plugin 2

etc.

Edited by dkuhf

Actually, it was the other way around - it got changed from 33 to 66.

(as stated in http://store.steampowered.com/news/3976/ (bottom of "General"))

What it did was that one could reach high speeds easier. Most maps became retardedly easy and dogfights turned into a question of who had the better latency.

post #2 of http://forums.solidsurf.info/index.php?topic=1432.0 explains this quite well.

Plugin 1

Plugin 2

etc.

Thanks Dkhuf, didnt even know you're still active here.

Well if thats the case, Clavus do change it to 33tick if the methods mentioned by Fleeman really work.

Lowering the tickrate doesn't seem necessary at all. You do know that lowering the tickrate makes the game less smooth? It's better to mess with sv_airaccelerate but I don't think adjusting the current surf settings is desired.

The server used to be 33tick before the update, it was smooth back then, and I doubt the difference would be noticable even if it made the game less smooth now.

You dont understand, all the surf maps in the rotation are made for 33tick.

Now when it's 66tick every map is retardedly easy (as dkuhf put it) and sometimes you fail because you are going too fast. Changing it back to 33tick would bring back old surf players, me included(I stopped playing surf since the update f'd it up).

Please change it.

Time to try out the new old surf!

EDIT: Just tried it out, and I think its awesome. No more ppl who are like "LOOK AT ME IM FLYING". Better preformance, and ofcource, the FPS! Everything is amazing. I like it when stuff is harder.

Even tho, it was not enough ppl. So I quit :V.

Edited by Mr. Darkness

It's more like you need more skill to surf properly. It's not like LOLOLOLO LOOK AT ME IM FLYING SKY HIGH

The reason I don't like it is beacuse weapons and jumping doesn't work the way it's supposed to, keys don't register when you press them rapidly etc.

nerfing the engine to fit the map just means the map is poorly designed. I'd like to see another solution for this problem (making the surf mechanics work as if the tickrate was 33, but keeping it at 66)

Not really nerfing the engine, since the tickrate of the server was that in the beginning of mr.green surf.

Also, since its a lower tickrate, everyones ping has lowered and perfomance has been higher, i think this is good, maybe if clavus added sv_enablebunnyhopping 1 might resolve bunnyhoppin issues.

Oh jesus christ. So only VMR's opinion matters now? How come it was fine when the server was 33tick before the update, but now we cant have it back that way?

Edit: If decreasing airaccelerate is supposed to do the trick, decrease it more. No difference between 150 and 100. Tune it down to 50 and we'll see if it makes a difference.

Edited by Nobana

Oh jesus christ. So only VMR's opinion matters now? How come it was fine when the server was 33tick before the update, but now we cant have it back that way?

Edit: If decreasing airaccelerate is supposed to do the trick, decrease it more. No difference between 150 and 100. Tune it down to 50 and we'll see if it makes a difference.

It's not about making it as challenging as possible, it's about making it welcoming as well as challenging on certain maps. Yes, some maps may be a little bit easier, but the majority of maps are designed for 66 tickrate and 100 airaccelerate. Playing at 33 tickrate doesn't only make it harder to surf, it also makes it less responsive, and some maps are simply impossible to surf on.

We'd also have to go through every map in the map rotation and remove the ones that don't work with 33 tickrate. Not to mention 70% of the current regulars would leave. I've gotten a lot of complaints the last couple of days.

I, for one, am not up for the job of cleaning up the mapcycle after a change I don't even like to begin with.

It's not about making it as challenging as possible, it's about making it welcoming as well as challenging on certain maps. Yes, some maps may be a little bit easier, but the majority of maps are designed for 66 tickrate and 100 airaccelerate.

No, its not making it as challenging as possible, its making it the way its meant to be and the way its better on. There is not a single map which is challenging to anyone that plays on the server.

"Some maps"? Every map easier because they were made for 33tick. Please do name which maps are made forr 66tickrate since the maplist is almost completely the same as when the server was 33tick.

Playing at 33 tickrate doesn't only make it harder to surf, it also makes it less responsive, and some maps are simply impossible to surf on.

I dont notice a thing when it comes to the game "not being responsive" on 33tick, I doubt anyone did. Can you please give me examples that which maps are impossible to surf on? As I said, the maps are made for 33tick and they are the same maps which we had before the 66tick-update.

We'd also have to go through every map in the map rotation and remove the ones that don't work with 33 tickrate. Not to mention 70% of the current regulars would leave. I've gotten a lot of complaints the last couple of days.

I, for one, am not up for the job of cleaning up the mapcycle after a change I don't even like to begin with.

As said, which maps dont work with 33tick since they are made for it? Okay so now its about the current regulars who are either A)too used to 66tick or B)terrible at surfing? Both of those problems will go away if the server was 33tick, not to say that their surfing skills would improve in general.

What about the old regulars, who would come back if the server was 33tick, including me?

Edited by Nobana