Mr. Green Gaming

Guild Wars 2

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own GW2 ?

• Yes
    • No
    • NOT YET!!

@Hundred :

It's different from WoW, the point isn't to XP as fast as possible and reach lvl 80, it's about exploring the world, do dynamic quests while you're exploring, following your personnal story etc

I find the griding system less repetitive than in WoW or other classic MMOs, you still kill tons of monster/bandits, but the quests that ask you to do that are more subtile than the "Fedex quests" (aka "kill 150 bears and bring me their fur plskthxbai ).

Ya now it's "Clean the swamp and throw mortalshells on the slimes plsthxbai". And that AWESUM.

The core is like that, but the ... shell is different, at least Anet justifies why we have to kill everything :V

There's no immersion in GW2 though. I feared this was how it was going to turn out when I was playing the betas. The tempo of which you follow your personal story makes no sense at all. An imporant person in your main base asks if you can go check on a squad, and it's all cool. The quest sais level 11. (Every part of your personal story has a recommended level)

When you reach the person you were to check on, you see that only the servant is alive, and you help the servant fight off some bad-guys before you ask him what happened. He tells you that the person you were looking for disappeared a short while ago, and that you should meet up on the road nearby. It's like 100 meters away.

The next part of the quest (meeting up with the servant to go look for the guy you were initially looking for) would seem like a thing you would do right away, because when people go missing dangerous things can happen. It's also REALLY close, and it's not like you'll gain any experience whatsoever going over there, yet the recommended level for that next part is 14. It takes like 1-2 hours just to get up to that level. I hate that I can't even follow simple instructions in the personal storyline, because it only takes 1 minute before you're vastly under-leveled.

Edited by VMR

There's no immersion in GW2 though. I feared this was how it was going to turn out when I was playing the betas. The tempo of which you follow your personal story makes no sense at all. An imporant person in your main base asks if you can go check on a squad, and it's all cool. The quest sais level 11. (Every part of your personal story has a recommended level)

When you reach the person you were to check on, you see that only the servant is alive, and you help the servant fight off some bad-guys before you ask him what happened. He tells you that the person you were looking for disappeared a short while ago, and that you should meet up on the road nearby. It's like 100 meters away.

The next part of the quest (meeting up with the servant to go look for the guy you were initially looking for) would seem like a thing you would do right away, because when people go missing dangerous things can happen. It's also REALLY close, and it's not like you'll gain any experience whatsoever going over there, yet the recommended level for that next part is 14. It takes like 1-2 hours just to get up to that level. I hate that I can't even follow simple instructions in the personal storyline, because it only takes 1 minute before you're vastly under-leveled.

Maybe itd be a good idea to leave your personal story till when youre a higher level, so you dont have to worry about it cause itd downgrade you to be right? :) I think im gonna do that - I love just exploring the world and dropping into random quests anyway

Also - Thinking of all of us in the guild doing a PvP tournament against some people some time next week? Once we all get happy with our classes and get some descent gear (and everyones joined) :D What you all think?

And we'll all focus on WvW when the next tournament starts next month - see what we can do when we split into squads :D

Edited by Dr.Minky

Maybe itd be a good idea to leave your personal story till when youre a higher level, so you dont have to worry about it cause itd downgrade you to be right? :) I think im gonna do that - I love just exploring the world and dropping into random quests anyway

Also - Thinking of all of us in the guild doing a PvP tournament against some people some time next week? Once we all get happy with our classes and get some descent gear (and everyones joined) :D What you all think?

And we'll all focus on WvW when the next tournament starts next month - see what we can do when we split into squads :D

What if I'm very interested in the story?

Progression is too slow, in my opinion. I like new places, and I like exploring, but when I come to a new area it only takes a few minutes to get the full experience, and then you can move on. What happens, though, is that you come to a new area, and you have to do all the hearts in order to be high enough level to survive the next area. To be honest questing in WoW is in many ways more immersive than GW2. In WoW you find people in need of a service, and you're let in on a story. You find out that the daughter of X has been kidnapped or something, and you have to do this and that to rescue her. Sure, it's the same, but I felt more like I was actually helping out a person.

In GW2 you just walk around and find people that stand still while being attacked, or walk around while being attacked, and you have to kill the stuff trying to kill that person. When you're done they say "Thanks", and you move on to the next person in need of help 10 meters away.

I think that what I would like to see in GW2 is a bit more thought behind each heart, or random event. Some random events just feel amazing. You find a fort, and see that it's being attacked by huge monsters, and you help the people out and secure their fort. The problem is that in 85% of the cases, it feels really poorly designed and not very thought through.

post-485-0-84876100-1345986386_thumb.jpg

When I walk into a new area, this is what I see. Who needs this done? I haven't talked to anyone, I haven't even seen anything that would indicate that there are imps in the area. There is no reason why I should go killing those imps, except that it gives me some XP because it sais so in a box in the upper-right corner of my UI. In WoW you come into a new area, and you're introduced to the people living there. You find people who are looking for someone to do some dirty-work for them, and they ask you if you can kill something or collect something for them and that you would get X as a reward. You do this, you get your reward and you move on.

Edited by VMR

Because if you level and then do the story it will be much more enjoyable, instead of getting upset that you have to grind in between doing quests

I agree with what youre saying :V But on the other hand, I can see that if they forced every single player in the area to go and talk to a character before they start a quest, it would get very tedious and dynamic events wouldnt really work - compared to WoW where the events are specific to you and you alone, so they can do stuff like that without affecting the game play

I guess it just depends on what people prefer. I dont think gw2 is a WoW killer, the people that play WoW and still enjoy it will just play both, the only thing thats gonna kill WoW is itself.

Edited by Dr.Minky

Remind me again, why are we playing on Ring of Fire? I've got a massive ping, which seems to be about 200-300. It makes fights suck, because there's most of the time a .4 second delay on everything, and when it gets bad it's up at 2 seconds. Jumping puzzles are extremely annoying, as the lagg is the sole reason why I fail many of them. Using jumping ability when the road is clear only to see the ability flashing for a second before activating, making me miss the open timeframe is REALLY annoying. Been going at a simple jumping puzzle for like 20 minutes now.

Remind me again, why are we playing on Ring of Fire? I've got a massive ping, which seems to be about 200-300. It makes fights suck, because there's most of the time a .4 second delay on everything, and when it gets bad it's up at 2 seconds. Jumping puzzles are extremely annoying, as the lagg is the sole reason why I fail many of them. Using jumping ability when the road is clear only to see the ability flashing for a second before activating, making me miss the open timeframe is REALLY annoying. Been going at a simple jumping puzzle for like 20 minutes now.

It was a European Low Populated Server that was populair during beta and had a cool name :pipe:

It was a European Low Populated Server that was populair during beta and had a cool name :pipe:

I noticed the server time is 3 hours ahead of where most of us live. Shouldn't we rather have chosen a swedish/dutch/english server?

Is anyone else having problems? :s Ive been perfectly fine,

It's not just Ring of Fire, there is lag on every server. I'm playing on Gandara (high population server) and it lags like hell during the evening.

Also, I just hit level 60! Woo!

Edited by Kefeus

It's not just Ring of Fire, there is lag on every server. I'm playing on Gandara (high population server) and it lags like hell during the evening.

Also, I just hit level 60! Woo!

Wow lvl 60 ,,, i do not have enough free time to do that this fast i am 26..