Mr. Green Gaming

What were the Video Games of your ChildHood?

I was watching retro video of the original Sonic the Hedgehog and it brought up a lot of old memories... In Particular me slamming the controller to the floor in rage as i couldn't grasp playing video games yet (probably around aged 6/7).

My first ever console was the Sega Mega Drive, followed then by the Playstation One, Playstation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360 & most recently the Nintendo Wii (:blink:)

I have been playing PC games throughout this time but I was never seriously into it like now. My computers were all previously pre-built and couldn't run anything on a good frame rate. I remember the first half life running on around 10 fps thinking the graphics were mind blowing.

The only other game I could Run was a game called Jazz Jackrabbit 2 that came with my computer. An instant classic in my opinion.

So... yeah lets hear what you guys used to play when life was more simple and there wasn't all this HDTV 1080p etc- horseshit :P When it was more to do with

Super Mario v Crash Bandicoot and just having fun.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My parents could not afford a game console when i was young .. (i remember playing Super Mario at a neighbour). Also, when i first bought a computer, i was playing TITUS THE FOX on it, non-stop XD. Then, i bought some weird Lion King games, but fun. I tried Lego Rock Raiders, but the graphics card was too low : 1 mb... I tried Theme Park World, same problem :/. I bought another pc at the age of 12. Until then, i was playing Sims. After i bought the new pc (Pentium 4,2.8 ghz, 1 gb DDR RAM, 80 GB - it was very big then XD) i was so happy .. but time fucked this computer, also. :/

My parents could not afford a game console when i was young .. (i remember playing Super Mario at a neighbour). Also, when i first bought a computer, i was playing TITUS THE FOX on it, non-stop XD. Then, i bought some weird Lion King games, but fun. I tried Lego Rock Raiders, but the graphics card was too low : 1 mb... I tried Theme Park World, same problem :/. I bought another pc at the age of 12. Until then, i was playing Sims. After i bought the new pc (Pentium 4,2.8 ghz, 1 gb DDR RAM, 80 GB - it was very big then XD) i was so happy .. but time fucked this computer, also. :/

heh remarkably similar as I got hooked on the Sims too :) My computer could just barely run it tho :rolleyes:

I was playing video games back when I was 5 at the least (I remember reading a preview of Spyro the dragon in '98 then renting it a few weeks later at a video/game rental store)

The first games I can remember playing were:

Actua Soccer 2

Tekken 2

Ridge Racer

I didn't really get into games much until I was 8 though, games like command & conquer pretty much dragged me into gaming though. (the original ones & red alert) I used to buy the official playstation magazine and just play the new demo disc that came with it pretty much untill the new issue came out. One day my older brother came home with a disc he borrowed from a friend of his, and it had a few Net Yaroze game demos on it. (For those who don't know what Net Yaroze was it was a hobbyist's version of a developer's Playstation, it allowed you to design & program games for the PS1)

180px-Playstation_Controller.jpg

Damn, these were annoying

I was playing PS1 games up until around 2001 when we got our first PC and I've been pretty much playing PC games since then (I got a Sega Dreamcast & N64 also at similar periods) so I've pretty much been on a video game playing rampage for the last 11-12 years.

The very first console i got was a pc, which my dad won at his work, it was a hp, running windows 98, thats about all i can remember about that, but it could run sims (original) though :P

then i got a game boy colour, after complaining to my mum and dad that everyone at school had one, haha, i was playing pokemon yellow (oh the memories), then various other pokemon games

then it was a ps2 (the original behemoth sized one), in which i was hooked on ratchet and clank, at the time it had astounding graphics, (it was the best game graphically when the ps2 came out, as well as the original jak and daxter, but then all the other games caught them up...)

game boy advance next, various pokemon games, some sonic games, and a few mario games

new pc, which had 512mb memory, 160gb hard drive, and a ati theatre 200 graphics card XD

it could run the sims 2, and only the sims 2 (if any expansion packs were installed the graphics card imploded)

xbox 360, which my dad won at a conference :P (i see a pattern here)

was pretty much the 1st person at my high school to get live, also have a interesting history with it as well

oh, and then mah powah computer, and i might be getting my own laptop for studies, but garrys mod might find its way onto it, if i do get it :P

I tried Lego Rock Raiders, but the graphics card was too low : 1 mb...

AWESOME GAME!!!

with rock raiders, did everyone have the case for it which if you had several lego games they could be stacked on top of each other on the spine, like lego blocks?

I remember seeing that at the local rental store (before Choices videos moved in) they had them stacked behind the counter with a few posters advertising some completely unrelated crap (like the film bonesaw)

Does anyone else remember Abe's Odyssey & exodus on the PS1, me & my brother used to play the second on co-op a lot (but we never managed to complete it in co-op mode)

with rock raiders, did everyone have the case for it which if you had several lego games they could be stacked on top of each other on the spine, like lego blocks?

I remember seeing that at the local rental store (before Choices videos moved in) they had them stacked behind the counter with a few posters advertising some completely unrelated crap (like the film bonesaw)

Does anyone else remember Abe's Odyssey & exodus on the PS1, me & my brother used to play the second on co-op a lot (but we never managed to complete it in co-op mode)

Abes Odyssey was an awesome game. Extremely clever & tricky at some points.

Love Fifa Football btw too... Been playing Football games since Italia 90 :D

Actua Soccer was where it was at Robo, that game could almost deafen when the volume was turned up enough.

It made up for the lack of real players by giving the teams the correct kit colours.

Wait wasn't Actua Soccer basically Pro Evo or was it a different franchise?? I used to get really annoyed with the other football games for not having the rights to the actual team names... Like London Reds +_+ what the fuck?!!?

I had a Nintendo 64 childhood :V

Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Kazooie, Starfox 64 (a.k.a Lylatwars), GoldenEye, and more.

My first real PC debut included Turok Dinosaur Hunter. Still a great game!

Yeah... GoldenEye was the shit :DB)

Nintendo 64 here.

Super Mario 64 and all that fun stuff. Also I played GTA at my mom's some friend who lived near to us.

At computer, I never really had many BOUGHT games, they were dl'ed from internet. (AH, I still remember when I had to play 1euro to get to internet for an hour, me and my brother bought 2hours just to get Little Fighter 2! (YES, it was that slow!))

At consoles, my favorite prodably was Ocarina of time (that zelda game), but I never actually cleared me myself. ever.

I always copied my brother's latest save D:

Ah, the good old days, wish I could go back there.

Aaaah I remember that games when I was 4 years old,I always played with my brother on Street Fighter II on SNES,then we played Grand Turismo,V-Rally,Bushido Blade,Tekken3 on PS1,I watched him pwning Metal Gear Solid (epic game,I still play it when I'm in tunisia^^),my first own game was Spyro the Dragon :P ,and then there were the others Spyro games,Crash bandicoot 3,tag team racing,crash bash...then we got the PS2 with some games (tekken tag tournament :awesome: ) and then XBOX,and I bought it at its first days,so I had right to choose 5 free games and one pad (I took Halo,I didn't measure that it was the greatest game of the console,I thought it was a brick breaker XD ) my first real game on the console was Oddworld:munch's odysee,nice game :P and then it continues,Halo2,unreal etc...to the Xbox 360 and Wii (and DS and PSP :) ) Epic thinking seance

[double post] I forgot one important thing,we had (and I kept it) an old Macintosh from 80's,a Mac OS II more precisely. And we got Warcraft 2 on it :lol: and Wolfenstein 3d,Full Throttle,Hellcoys (something like that,didn't remember the name)

The only other game I could Run was a game called Jazz Jackrabbit 2 that came with my computer. An instant classic in my opinion.

Amen to Jazz Jackrabbit :worshippy:

@ Clavus: Our start was the Sega Genesis, not the N64 :o

That thing doesn't count. We didn't have any decent games for it anyway, and it wasn't ours :P

Ocarina of Time = best game ever. Finished it multiple times.

My first i played we're Nascar but i could only play half of a race track because sometimes the game crashed and was verry annyoing , then i played Jazz Jackrabbit

I also had a Sega and everyday i was looking for new games on tapes , those times 1 tape costed me like 1 euro now ...

Then i got a Pentium 2 pc back in 99 after that in 05 i got this currently PC.

gamecubeiu7.jpg

game_boy_advance.jpg

'nuff said.

That thing doesn't count. We didn't have any decent games for it anyway, and it wasn't ours :P

Ocarina of Time = best game ever. Finished it multiple times.

+1,000,000

Edit: Also, my first PC game were a real time strategy Star Wars game. Damn... I miss it :c Also a lot of Empire games :)

Edited by Redgord

we had an 8-bit nintendo when i was maybe 2-3 months :) later, my brother got to choose an 16-bit nintendo or a computer. he choose the computer and bought doom. they had the computer for a long time so when i was 3 (they still had the computer) i played doom for the first time in my life.