Mr. Green Gaming

Gamemode idea #1337: Space War stuff

I can come up with the sweetest stuff during my holidays. Probably because I'm bored to death.

Anyway, new gamemode idea: Space War (not actual title). Throwing the zombie shooters out of the window this time around.

Would make use of the Spacebuild gamemode maps.

General idea:

Space shooter. Kind of like the game Freelancer. Player can create his own space ship in a simple UI, using different pre-specified parts. New parts can be bought later on yadayadayada. This way every player can create and tune his own unique space ship.

Rounds:

The gamemode would be round based. Every round there would be a specific objective to complete. Players are split in two teams. Objective for team 1 could be 'protect mothership' and the objective of team 2 could be 'shoot the crap out of enemy mothership'. Lot of objective variations possible (king of the hill, standard arena fighting, capture the flag, collect-the-most-stuff and yadayadayada).

Spaceship parts would exists out of: (I'll be making use of standard gmod props, as I don't see any skilled modellers jumping to help me on short term)

- General body parts (cockpit, body)

- Engine (determines ship speed)

- Wings (determines manoeuvrability)

- Weapons (determines ownage-ability)

Potential weapons:

- Standard guns / cannons

- Lasers

- Missles

- Torpedos

- Mines

- AI controlled turret versions of the weapons (can fire in different directions)

Other ideas:

- Let multiple players be able to take control of a single ship (other players could control turrets for example)

- Players can land on planets, fight it out first-person-shooter style there

Atmosphere indication:

star_Wars-space-battle_L-01.jpg

(there was some epic space battle cgi with classical music on the background that I wanted to post, but I can't find it :<)

It's on the waiting list for projects-I-want-to-start.

Clavus, you just read my mind. I was planning on doing that when i had the necessary experience in lua :/

Edit : I hope this doesn't end up like Last stand or Sniper vs Sniper gamemode! Good luck

Kind of gave up Last Stand since I'm not touching ZS any more (only to implement the new Green-Coins system you guys will probably not even notice).

Sniper vs Sniper is still on the same waiting list, but I thought I should try something else than a first-person-shooter gamemode.

I don't think you can add bots to make it like a mmorpg , because as Clavus told me some long time ago that bots = processing power from CPU. Maybe add 4-6 bots, but no more .. I think you must earn xp in PVP.

AI for spaceship bots should not be too difficult... it would much be like the turrets for Infected Wars.

If you want some inspiration/ideas for this I suggest you check out some of the "colony wars" games on the ps1.

They were and still are awesome space shooter games.

The best one is Colony Wars: Red Sun which gave you the ability to upgrade your ship and weapons in a similar way to what you are suggesting. You could use the game for inspiration for weapons etc.

Edited by Crowbar

Deluv? remember when your bots copied you? I think its not a very good idea to add bots to spaceship wars, (to Clavus) also the bugs in iw havent been fixed yet, so lets just finish with iw first ;)

But if really, nice idea :)

zombie wars, real wars (css), space wars, funny wars (tf2), and etc. It would be good for rp or some quest game mods too

Edited by Mr.Darkness
Looks very interesting.

Gotte be a huge map when you fly in spaceships and can land on planets.

What will there be on the planets? Resources? Maybe some small bases.

If Clavus shall make a huge space map with some planets, he souldnt make the bases on them. The map will be TOO large. The planets should be even smaller then, or just to make them have their own location (another map).

ofc the planets have to have some gravity trigger, but the gravity has to be different then.

and... There have to be different space maps. one map is boring.

Resources... Greencoins, green shop, green... what ever ^^

Edited by Mr.Darkness
So will it be like a MMORPG, like freelancer, because that game was seriously fun until the master servers were taken down and no-one could play properly.

Well, not really. I don't intend to add any mining or resource management, or any kind of free-roaming. It's pure team vs. team rounds where one team tries to beat the other to the objective. Tweaking and building your spaceship adds to the re-playability and durability of the gamemode.

The main thing that would make this game replayable is a wide range of different objectives. Think of objectives where there's both fighting on the planet surface and space battle going on, where winning on one front gives advantages to the other.

Sounds awesome ;D

Dont you have alot of stuff going on already? :P

Like that Island mod where you're supposed to fight your way through (Or was that Ywa, i dont remember :P) And the bugs for IW and some stuff? :P

To the point; When (if you're going to start on this project) is it going to be completed? is it going to be a really big mod, or just a simple 1 week project? :P

T.T...I want something like. There are humen, and they run away from monsters.

When they get to the capsules, they need to hold on till the ship departs.

Or something like that.

Sounds cool anyway, but just continue the IW and ZS.

Nah, again, it will be the same as zombie survival, but it will be called monster survival (:V)

so the ships idea is good anyway.

I saw a gamemode where youre playing in strategy. It was kinda zombie survival but you dont see your self from first person.

Clavus? maybe there will be a game mode where you play as rebels vs combine. Half-team starts as combine - half as rebels and you play it from strategy view. Ofc you dont play as 1 rebel, as a group of them and you can choose like 3 of 12.

Sounds awesome ;D

Dont you have alot of stuff going on already? :P

Like that Island mod where you're supposed to fight your way through (Or was that Ywa, i dont remember :P) And the bugs for IW and some stuff? :P

To the point; When (if you're going to start on this project) is it going to be completed? is it going to be a really big mod, or just a simple 1 week project? :P

Man youve wrote too many :P smiles :o

Edited by Mr.Darkness