Mr. Green Gaming

What are you working on?

Clavus

My Hammer is doing bad things to me D:

It doesnt create a .BSP file when I save it. (VBSP is the command-line tool that converts a raw VMF file to the compiled Binary Space Partition format)

I've tried everything but it just doesnt save it.

So? That means that I cannot play the map I can only create it with hammer. The BSP file is same stuff as all Gmod maps.

Any answers?

And I have seen this:

The system cannot find the file specified

Be sure you typed your filename correctly, excluding any dashes, periods, etc. If it persists, try typing the file extension as you save it. If compiling with Hammer, check the log for errors; it often will point you in the right direction.

If you have not ran the game that you are making a map for, or if the destination that you are trying to place the final .BSP file in does not exist at the time you attempted to compile your map, this error will occur as a result of Hammer lacking the ability to create file folders. This happens to a variety of people, most often when the person receiving the error has recently rebooted their computer after a crash, their computer dying, or a virus or other possible cause of computer data/memory loss. If this happens, all you have to do is run the game you are making the map for, or simply browse to the closest file directory to the one you are trying to put the final .BSP in a file browser, and make a folder named the same as the selected output folder.

Im not really a map genius

(its my first map)

But ill look at the func_detail and the stairs thing

Moar pics, im further now. I even learned how to make a ladder exited.gif

post-312-126968577573_thumb.png

post-312-126968577755_thumb.png

Optimisation, is it hard to learn D:?

(Dont worry, i know how to nodraw the outer textures, i want to finish the layout first)

Tried looking for the func_detail, where can i find it :/

Edited by Hundred2

You know that you should seal the game area from the blackness?

That means placing a wall so you cant look into the black void (Aka: You cant jump out of the map)

Or place some special thing i dont know yet off around the map?

(Mapper nawb am I)

Edited by Hundred2

If it's an underground map, a skybox is pointless. Putting a skybox around it only increases compile time. Just make sure you seal the map properly.

A func_detail is a brush entity, so select a brush, hit ctrl+T (or select the "to entity" button on the right) and it'll default to a func_detail.

Brush entities can be changed to stuff like func_breakable, which indicate breakable stuff, and much more.

you dont need make a skybox. Are you going to add water to it?

Sky box is needed in some case. "closed" maps (like zs_energybunker) dont need it.

Sometimes after compile, I hadn't got the water. Well I had... But It was invisible, but props were swimming :S

Oh wait... energybunker hasn't got water...

Edited by Mr.Darkness

If it's an underground map, a skybox is pointless. Putting a skybox around it only increases compile time. Just make sure you seal the map properly.

A func_detail is a brush entity, so select a brush, hit ctrl+T (or select the "to entity" button on the right) and it'll default to a func_detail.

Brush entities can be changed to stuff like func_breakable, which indicate breakable stuff, and much more.

Thanks for the info.

How can i make a static brush breakable like the wall in ZS_termites in ZS style? (Aka: wall goes slowly to RED) Or is that wall a hidden prop?

Edited by Hundred2

Thanks for the info.

How can i make a static brush breakable like the wall in ZS_termites in ZS style? (Aka: wall goes slowly to RED) Or is that wall a hidden prop?

I think the wall slowly going to red is the engine itself. I can't remember what that func was. I thought func_breakable.

Thanks for the info.

I think the wall slowly going to red is the engine itself. I can't remember what that func was. I thought func_breakable.

ZS changes the color of the func_breakable brush entities depending on their health.

Thanks for the info.

ZS changes the color of the func_breakable brush entities depending on their health.

Yeah, engine of the game, or the gametype ZS.

well you wouldn't need a sky box if you seal everything correctly but ofcourse if you put a large box around it (aka skybox) it'll practically seal it for you.

stalker, what do you mean that the water gets laggy? only reason I could think of if for somereason you'd be able to s ee the black void which f***s with your whole screen at once.

hl2 2010-01-04 18-44-27-35.bmp

This is what I mean with laggy.

well you wouldn't need a sky box if you seal everything correctly but ofcourse if you put a large box around it (aka skybox) it'll practically seal it for you.

stalker, what do you mean that the water gets laggy? only reason I could think of if for somereason you'd be able to s ee the black void which f***s with your whole screen at once.

hl2 2010-01-04 18-44-27-35.bmp

This is what I mean with laggy.

God, make it a jpeg at least. A 2.2MB bmp file is such a waste of bandwidth.