Mr. Green Gaming

Playstation 3 as a Blu-Ray player?

Nobana

Hello!

So, our DVD player broke up few months back, and we are buying a Blu-Ray player soon. Sure, we can play DVD's on X360, but Blu-ray would be cool.

So, Ive heard that PS3 beats those basic ~150€ players when it comes to wathing Blu-Ray's. True? False? So would it be better that we bougth a PS3, or some normal Blu-Ray player which costs approximately 150-200€?

Anyone got any expieriences of PS3 and its cabability in playing Blu-Rays? Some links to reviews about it?

Anything will help.

Thxbye.

Nobana out.

Like Ywa said, a PS3 can be updated unlike most Blu-Ray players. This will allow users to update to new Blu-Ray features like 3D movies (if your TV supports it). Some Blu-Ray players don't have really good hardware (like the disc drive), but the PS3 does.

So yes, a PS3 is definately the best Blu-Ray player you can get. Especially when you take in account that it also plays games.

The PS3 is a great BluRay player. Although their is a downside which I am facing now. The biggest problem the PS3 has is the BluRay drive will stop working. Now I'm not saying it will happen to everyone but from my research it is the biggest problem there is with the PS3. I had mine for a little over a year and the BluRay drive stopped working. It was just out of warranty so I have to pay Sony $120 U.S. dollars to have it fixed. Aside from that I would recommend it for a BluRay player. $299 U.S. dollars brand new you can't beat it.

• 1 month later...

So, we might buy the PS3 in this or in the next month. Questions:

Can I play PS1 and PS2 games on PS3 Slim? Or only the old ones? Ore only with the 1st PS3 version?

What about USB ports? How many does to Slim got compared to old models? Can I put movies to the HDD through USB from my memory stick?

And generally, which version would be the best?

Edited by Nobana

You can stream Blu-Ray films over your network using PS3 Media Server. The PS3 Slim has 2 USB ports. All PS3 consoles can play legally purchased PS1 games, but only the first version can play PS2 games. Also, the old 40 GB model has a cardreader.

Even that is wrong. You can only play PS1 games bought on Playstation Network.

You're wrong.

I own a ps3 slim and my PS1 on disk games work. (Driver, GT, Wacky Racers :V)

So I bought the games for nothing on PSN? D:

If you own legal copies of those games, yes.

You can stream Blu-Ray films over your network using PS3 Media Server.

The PS3 Slim has 2 USB ports. All PS3 consoles can play legally purchased PS1 games, but only the first version can play PS2 games. Also, the old 40 GB model has a cardreader.

PS3 Media server, its bit like Windows Media Center? I got the movie(s) on my PC, and I can watch them through PS3 when they're both connecten to my modem? This works with music & pictures too, yes?

The first PS3 has what, 40GB, of HDD space? Do I really need it to anything, if I cant permamently transfer movies/music to the HDD?

Edited by Nobana

PS3 Media server, its bit like Windows Media Center? I got the movie(s) on my PC, and I can watch them through PS3 when they're both connecten to my modem? This works with music & pictures too, yes?

Yes. You just need to make sure you've a good connection between both machines (PS3 & PC). For example, 720p or 1080i/p can give lag if you use a wireless router. Wired connections should work perfectly. :)

Does the PS3 Media Server play MKV. files also? Or does it play one specific media file?

Because on X360, the Window Media Center plays only the regular file used by Wind. Media Player, which is kinda crappy because most videos are MKV these days.

Edited by Nobana
  • 2 weeks later...