Mr. Green Gaming

Tips and tricks 4 PC

Everybody knows that putting your own pc together is cheaper then buying one,but:

-how the hell should I do it ?!

-were do I get the good stuff for the right money ?!

-what should I buy ?!

-how do I install all the shit I just bought ?!

Well here are the answers; this is the place where you guys should post what Ram you should buy how to install it and what the results are.

I think a few out there will help us (people that want a cheap pc but don't know where to get it or how to install it) by posting what they think!

'Bout the tricks it's even easier;

One of my tricks to let my pc run faster is shutting as many programs off when your pc starts.

You can do this on 2 ways: In advance setting you can choose to not run them when your pc starts or

if you don't know how to do that: just shut em down with windows task manager!

I hope this is gonna be a helpful topic for everyone (;

P.s. Don't forget videos and pictures are extremely helpful !

ebuyer, overclockers, well atleast in the UK anyway.

I heard that overclocking your cpu leads to a faster failure of the cpu ...

Do you know other tricks that don't destroy your pc :D ?

ebuyer and overclockers are websites for UK people to buy parts from. Plus overclocking doesn't damage your PC, just know what your doing.

ebuyer, overclockers, well atleast in the UK anyway.

I heard that overclocking your cpu leads to a faster failure of the cpu ...

Do you know other tricks that don't destroy your pc :D ?

ebuyer and overclockers are websites for UK people to buy parts from. Plus overclocking doesn't damage your PC, just know what your doing.

Nice, it destroys ur cpu faster then normal if u overclock it to high (;

Overclocking isn't actually a big problem. Although it does give the CPU a shorter lifetime, you probably won't use the CPU for it's entire lifetime anyway and chuck it out after ~5 years. And thus you won't notice.

Exactly. When you don't mess up with the VCore and use a decent cooler then it's fine.

Overclocking isn't actually a big problem. Although it does give the CPU a shorter lifetime, you probably won't use the CPU for it's entire lifetime anyway and chuck it out after ~5 years. And thus you won't notice.

Can you also explain how to overclock ? and how much you should overclock it max ?

ty

Can you also explain how to overclock ? and how much you should overclock it max ?

ty

I'd recommend reading up on it beforehand, seeing how it's not just a "point and click" procedure.

My CPU's (QX9770) clockspeed is originally 3.2 GHz, but currently it's overclocked to 3.8 GHz. This is my personal limit, because when I go over my PC gets very unstable. Other people have lifted this same CPU to 4.5 GHz and even higher. The limit really depends on the configuration of your PC. Your RAM, motherboard, FSB speed, and ofcourse your CPU fan play a vital role in overclocking.

I only know how to overclock on a Socket 775 Intel system. Sandy Bridge systems are completely different because they have no traditional FSB (correct me if I'm wrong).

Long story short, I can't really tell you how to overclock. Summed up it's just overclocking your FSB speed in your BIOS. To calculate the desired speed you can use the formula: (desired clockspeed in MHz) / Multiplier x (amount of cores).

Anyway, just read some guides on the internet specifically written for the hardware you want to lose, and never go over the manufacturer specific limits (live Vcore) unless you know what you're doing.

ty

I'd recommend reading up on it beforehand, seeing how it's not just a "point and click" procedure.

My CPU's (QX9770) clockspeed is originally 3.2 GHz, but currently it's overclocked to 3.8 GHz. This is my personal limit, because when I go over my PC gets very unstable. Other people have lifted this same CPU to 4.5 GHz and even higher. The limit really depends on the configuration of your PC. Your RAM, motherboard, FSB speed, and ofcourse your CPU fan play a vital role in overclocking.

I only know how to overclock on a Socket 775 Intel system. Sandy Bridge systems are completely different because they have no traditional FSB (correct me if I'm wrong).

Long story short, I can't really tell you how to overclock. Summed up it's just overclocking your FSB speed in your BIOS. To calculate the desired speed you can use the formula: (desired clockspeed in MHz) / Multiplier x (amount of cores).

Anyway, just read some guides on the internet specifically written for the hardware you want to lose, and never go over the manufacturer specific limits (live Vcore) unless you know what you're doing.

seems good ty (;

ty

It's called BCLK. But it's the same :V

Are you from the UK Mathijs? If so, tell me the price you want to spend and what it would be for and I will link you to all the parts you need for a great price. (A ditto at what Corby said, Ebuyer is amazing!)

I'm VERY near to finishing my computer, late next weekend poss depending when the parts arrive, its cost me around 600 including windows 7 and is a pretty decent build.. Not like a high end rig or anything, but certainly a good mid range gaming PC

Edited by Dr.Minky

Are you from the UK Mathijs? If so, tell me the price you want to spend and what it would be for and I will link you to all the parts you need for a great price. (A ditto at what Corby said, Ebuyer is amazing!)

I'm VERY near to finishing my computer, late next weekend poss depending when the parts arrive, its cost me around 600 including windows 7 and is a pretty decent build.. Not like a high end rig or anything, but certainly a good mid range gaming PC

I'm not from the uk (Beglium),

I wan't to spend about 850 pounds. Mayby you can see what's good then can ask a friend of mine to make it like that ?

Ty a lot

He's from the Netherlands, and started a topic he doesn't know shit about. :P

Ah.. Shame haha :meh:

Well what do you want your PC for? Gaming or editing or? I'm assuming gaming.. I dont know how the prices are different and the conversion of money so I dunno if I'd be any good at suggesting parts of certain prices, nor do I know any websites like ebuyer for where youre from.. Sorry :P I can still suggest parts for you though if you say what you want in terms of looks and speed and memory etc

He's from the Netherlands, and started a topic he doesn't know shit about. :P

Ah.. Shame haha :meh:

Well what do you want your PC for? Gaming or editing or? I'm assuming gaming.. I dont know how the prices are different and the conversion of money so I dunno if I'd be any good at suggesting parts of certain prices, nor do I know any websites like ebuyer for where youre from.. Sorry :P I can still suggest parts for you though if you say what you want in terms of looks and speed and memory etc

1 i'm from belgium

2 i know a lot about pc's but not everything

Minky; i'm looking for a decent gaming pc, on that can handle all the games atm and will still be possible to that for 4 years at least.

Since i prefere no lagg and a quick pc over super epic graphics i think i should get a high ram a fast cpu and a hard drive that is fast to use

Otherwise i'm nothing with my fast cpu. Knowing that every year there are higher standards for games I think i don't need to save on the graphics card either tough

I don't need te best of the best.

As far as I know i think i should be good with something around this:

+3.3 ghz cpu

8 gig ram

500 gig hard disc (newest version)

I have no idea fOr the rest. Dunno much bout vidcards and if i should get liquid cooling and all that shit ..

I might spend some extra money on a window or led if it ain't to expensive but spending extra money on a

Silent van isn't necessary for me

Ty minky (:

I take it you want the full gaming rig look too? ;) There are decent fans which look awesome too so you can get both for pretty much the same price anyway. Any prices I post are just the prices that I've found but it may be a lil' bit different for you

Here's a few things now for you, though I'm sure other greenies can suggest better alternatives, its still a good start. I don't know too much about water cooling either but it sounds like you want a mid range gaming PC so its not the end of the world if you dont have water cooling. Also I prefer AMD but other guys might have intel suggestions if thats what you want to get,

I'm just gonna list everything and you can pick and choose

NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case - This case is fairly expensive, about £110, BUT it does come with fans already and looks fucking awesome so its totally worth it, I spent about £45 on my cause and £35 on fans so its only a little bit more for something that looks much better. Comes in white black red and PINK! White looks the best imo

P600-0240815-04.jpg

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - 3.4Ghz, quad core and the best in its price range in terms of CPUs, is good for overclocking too it can be put up to about 3.7 £105

Corsair DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance - Ram, get 2x4gb if you want 8, thats about £45 if you get them in a bundle. Veeeery good make of ram, works well

w0262580_newpage.jpg

Sapphire HD 6870 1GB - Graphics card, its quite a good mid range one, you might want to get a better one though, £148

w0271292_newpage.jpg

MSI 870A-G54 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - A good and reliable mother board, nothing to fault with it really, and it has a built in soundboard so you dont need a sound card unless you want surround sound or something hard core like that. (I got mine for £50 but I think that was just a really really good deal, its probably more like £70-£80

For a hard drive, thats really up to you, I dont know what you use your memory for. I'd recommend getting a 1 or 2tb HDD hard drive to store all your crap on which is anything between £40 and £100 depending on the brand, which will probably be fairly slow loading, but thats not something that bothers me. Get whatever is best for you, mine was just a samsung spinpoint 1tb or something like that,

Then I'd recommend getting an SSD slave drive to boot windows and any programs you regularly use from, this will make an AWFUL lot of difference to your computer speed. Like, a LOT.. Crucial M4 128GB SSD - Probably will set you back £150, but considering the boost in speed it is well worth it, just youtube boot time comparisons with SSD v HDD.

w0266526_newpage.jpg

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heatpipe CPU Cooler - This is a cheap but good cooler, again great value for money, on idle lowers the temp by about 12c and on full load drops about 20-25c, though i'm positive someone can suggest something better/more expensive for this.

P600-0176157-01.jpg

CD READER - I wont bother suggesting one to you, any will do. Dont spend too much one one, like £15 is fine,

Ethernet cable - Ethernets better than wifi so buy a cable, its like £10 for a 15m and £15 for a 20m, but you can pick them up dirt cheap for any length thats short, I have tons of the things. Make sure its CAT5e too. If you want wifi then just find something yourself :V

Only other thing you'd need is windows 7, which can vary in price an awful lot.. I've seen it for £40 and then I've seen it for £110, just get the best deal you can basically.

I would demand you got some blue cathodes, but with that case you don't need any! :V Only thing missing from this is a power supply.. Mine came with the case so I'm not sure what to suggest, ask someone else..

VOILA! An friggin' awesome looking, quite good, mid range gaming PC! You definately wont have to worry about lag unless you're really pushing the computer. That all adds up to about (gets calculator out) about £720 for the max end of it, then just assume it would be about £800 in total including Windows 7 home premium. That would leave you £50 to buy a decent keyboard and mouse or to buy a better part (e.g. you could buy a better graphics card, that would be a good investment) or you may want to just save it and buy a decent monitor or spend it on some games, (AHEM GET GUILD WARS 2 AND JOIN THE PRODIGUILD :pipe: )

Hope that helps you out a bit, don't just use what I've said though listen to everyone else too, people here know much more about computers than I do haha, (God dang this took a long time, I was meant to be doing work :c )

Edited by Dr.Minky

I take it you want the full gaming rig look too? ;) There are decent fans which look awesome too so you can get both for pretty much the same price anyway. Any prices I post are just the prices that I've found but it may be a lil' bit different for you

Here's a few things now for you, though I'm sure other greenies can suggest better alternatives, its still a good start. I don't know too much about water cooling either but it sounds like you want a mid range gaming PC so its not the end of the world if you dont have water cooling. Also I prefer AMD but other guys might have intel suggestions if thats what you want to get,

I'm just gonna list everything and you can pick and choose

NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case - This case is fairly expensive, about £110, BUT it does come with fans already and looks fucking awesome so its totally worth it, I spent about £45 on my cause and £35 on fans so its only a little bit more for something that looks much better. Comes in white black red and PINK! White looks the best imo

P600-0240815-04.jpg

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - 3.4Ghz, quad core and the best in its price range in terms of CPUs, is good for overclocking too it can be put up to about 3.7 £105

Corsair DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance - Ram, get 2x4gb if you want 8, thats about £45 if you get them in a bundle. Veeeery good make of ram, works well

w0262580_newpage.jpg

Sapphire HD 6870 1GB - Graphics card, its quite a good mid range one, you might want to get a better one though, £148

w0271292_newpage.jpg

MSI 870A-G54 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - A good and reliable mother board, nothing to fault with it really, and it has a built in soundboard so you dont need a sound card unless you want surround sound or something hard core like that. (I got mine for £50 but I think that was just a really really good deal, its probably more like £70-£80

For a hard drive, thats really up to you, I dont know what you use your memory for. I'd recommend getting a 1 or 2tb HDD hard drive to store all your crap on which is anything between £40 and £100 depending on the brand, which will probably be fairly slow loading, but thats not something that bothers me. Get whatever is best for you, mine was just a samsung spinpoint 1tb or something like that,

Then I'd recommend getting an SSD slave drive to boot windows and any programs you regularly use from, this will make an AWFUL lot of difference to your computer speed. Like, a LOT.. Crucial M4 128GB SSD - Probably will set you back £150, but considering the boost in speed it is well worth it, just youtube boot time comparisons with SSD v HDD.

w0266526_newpage.jpg

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heatpipe CPU Cooler - This is a cheap but good cooler, again great value for money, on idle lowers the temp by about 12c and on full load drops about 20-25c, though i'm positive someone can suggest something better/more expensive for this.

P600-0176157-01.jpg

CD READER - I wont bother suggesting one to you, any will do. Dont spend too much one one, like £15 is fine,

Ethernet cable - Ethernets better than wifi so buy a cable, its like £10 for a 15m and £15 for a 20m, but you can pick them up dirt cheap for any length thats short, I have tons of the things. Make sure its CAT5e too. If you want wifi then just find something yourself :V

Only other thing you'd need is windows 7, which can vary in price an awful lot.. I've seen it for £40 and then I've seen it for £110, just get the best deal you can basically.

I would demand you got some blue cathodes, but with that case you don't need any! :V Only thing missing from this is a power supply.. Mine came with the case so I'm not sure what to suggest, ask someone else..

VOILA! An friggin' awesome looking, quite good, mid range gaming PC! You definately wont have to worry about lag unless you're really pushing the computer. That all adds up to about (gets calculator out) about £720 for the max end of it, then just assume it would be about £800 in total including Windows 7 home premium. That would leave you £50 to buy a decent keyboard and mouse or to buy a better part (e.g. you could buy a better graphics card, that would be a good investment) or you may want to just save it and buy a decent monitor or spend it on some games, (AHEM GET GUILD WARS 2 AND JOIN THE PRODIGUILD :pipe: )

Hope that helps you out a bit, don't just use what I've said though listen to everyone else too, people here know much more about computers than I do haha, (God dang this took a long time, I was meant to be doing work :c )

Ty minkey this pc looks great ;x anyway i can get windows seven as good as free so don't need to worry bout that.

Then the total is 720 and then i still got about 130-210 pounds that I can spend. What do you suggest i would upgrade with this

Extra bit of cash ? I was thinking of a better graphics card then the one you suggested. Knowing that wireless internet sucks balls i'm prob gonna

Buy a wire as you suggested. The tower itself looks sick as hell but I don't rlly need one with a van since you suggested me

Another one, do you know if I can get that tower without the van ? Otherwise canyou give me the link where you can find the sick

Towers ? The I'll search a bit further my self.

EDIT : just realized that the van is for the cpu only so don't look at the previous question xD

Ty a lot minky your pc looks sick as hell ! Asking already my parents to order the parts !

Btw I've discussed it first with some of my friends and they said that i prob don't need anything

Better then this :D

Math

Edited by Mathijs1996

Ty minkey this pc looks great ;x anyway i can get windows seven as good as free so don't need to worry bout that.

Then the total is 720 and then i still got about 130-210 pounds that I can spend. What do you suggest i would upgrade with this

Extra bit of cash ? I was thinking of a better graphics card then the one you suggested. Knowing that wireless internet sucks balls i'm prob gonna

Buy a wire as you suggested. The tower itself looks sick as hell but I don't rlly need one with a van since you suggested me

Another one, do you know if I can get that tower without the van ? Otherwise canyou give me the link where you can find the sick

EDIT : just realized that the van is for the cpu only so don't look at the previous question xD

Ty a lot minky your pc looks sick as hell ! Asking already my parents to order the parts !

Btw I've discussed it first with some of my friends and they said that i prob don't need anything

Math

Yeah this will serve you well for the next 5 years at least, its a top mid-range PC, mine has the same specs as this but a different case and I dont have the solid state hard drive yet (To back up what I said before, a solid state will probably boot up in about 15 seconds instead of over a minute), I would of got this case but I like being able to see inside it and go "mmmmmm" :P May get a case like this next time I upgrade, but that wont be for a while..

Before you order the parts make sure you pick a power supply as I said!!! No point having a computer without a power supply, I'm sure you can pick one yourself :pipe: And yes you definitely need a cooler haha, ;) With the money left over (-like 50 for the power supply or something) I'd say you could get a better graphics card maybe, or get a faster/bigger hard drive to store stuff on, but then you may want to save it and buy a decent monitor if you don't have one already, or as I said you could buy some games with it like battlefield 3 or skyrim or something,

And if you like get a different motherboard thats AM3+ like he said if you want to upgrade it in the future as they can take higher voltages for the CPU and such, though I dont know if you'd want to upgrade anything for quite a while with this from what you've said.. The motherboard is always replaceable it wouldn't really affect any of the other parts. I've been using an original mac minnie with no graphics card, only a 70gb hard drive if it were completely wiped and 2gb of ram, one of which is broken, so getting this computer for me is like YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAA

You're welcome xox

Edited by Dr.Minky

So, here is my suggestion: http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=WL-193264

An Intel i5-2500K + a solid motherboard which allows you pretty nice overclocking, but please inform yourself first !!! 4Ghz and more are no problem. SSD should be enough for your OS + some programs and a 1 TB HDD should be also more than enough. The case, well, I just put it in the list. You can take a smaller / cheaper one, but this is a matter of taste. And at least the graphics card. You can either buy a current high end card like the Radon HD 6970 or the gtx 570 (gtx 580 is too expensive) or you get a Radeon HD 6870 and if you require more power, you can wait until AMD releases it's HD 7xxx generation in December (rumors say that AMD will start with the HD 7870) and get one of them or of course a more powerfull card when it's been released.

Edited by bAsTiNaToR

Math

Yeah this will serve you well for the next 5 years at least, its a top mid-range PC, mine has the same specs as this but a different case and I dont have the solid state hard drive yet (To back up what I said before, a solid state will probably boot up in about 15 seconds instead of over a minute), I would of got this case but I like being able to see inside it and go "mmmmmm" :P May get a case like this next time I upgrade, but that wont be for a while..

Before you order the parts make sure you pick a power supply as I said!!! No point having a computer without a power supply, I'm sure you can pick one yourself :pipe: And yes you definitely need a cooler haha, ;) With the money left over (-like 50 for the power supply or something) I'd say you could get a better graphics card maybe, or get a faster/bigger hard drive to store stuff on, but then you may want to save it and buy a decent monitor if you don't have one already, or as I said you could buy some games with it like battlefield 3 or skyrim or something,

And if you like get a different motherboard thats AM3+ like he said if you want to upgrade it in the future as they can take higher voltages for the CPU and such, though I dont know if you'd want to upgrade anything for quite a while with this from what you've said.. The motherboard is always replaceable it wouldn't really affect any of the other parts. I've been using an original mac minnie with no graphics card, only a 70gb hard drive if it were completely wiped and 2gb of ram, one of which is broken, so getting this computer for me is like YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAA

You're welcome xox

Ty minky, I know what my project is this vacation ;X as you said I'm gonna look for a power supply

And spend the rest of my money on a better graphics card and 300 gigs hard disc (no ssd) for my files

Gonna put all my programs on the ssd :)

Think my end price is gonna be 1000 euros to 1150 euros (:

Btw I've been thinking of buying bf3 but since I already got bc2 I'm gonna get a cod disc ;x

To see how that's like (:

I'll sure check guildwars out and mayby I'll play in the future with you :D

Math

P.s. are there difference in powersupplies ? Cause I don't wanne buy one that doesn't fit or fries my fresh pc xD

Ty

You should get a brand power supply (Enermax, Seasonic, BeQuiet, Antec, Coolermaster, Tagan...) because they have security mechanisms like short-circuit protection, overvolting protection etc and they are also much more efficient compared to cheap noname PSUs.

Also: You should really listen to bastinator. Because if you really going to spend 1000€ for your new PC, you should get MUCH better parts.

Edited by CarPileUp