Mr. Green Gaming

MC Janitors Faction Action Plan

Dr.Minky

STEP 1. Find a good (flat) forest biome and claim as much land as possible

Minecraft_2012-06-30_13-57-24.png

Step 2. Everyone starts to dig dig dig to bedrock. In the below picture you can see how we will dig down, and the green section represents ONE claimed chunk. While this seems like a big task, trust me, in a group as large as this it takes no time - especially when we get more resources and can have iron picks.

Minecraft_2012-06-30_13-34-32.png

There will also be a group of 2 or 3 people who will manage a stock room from this stage (including creating tools and smelting resources) to keep things organised, and a group of 2 or 3 people to chop down all the trees, as we will need the wood!

Step 3. After we have gained a good amount of resources from the digging, we split the group up a bit more. This will be a group of people to carry on with digging + a group of people to put in levels to the holes we have dug (this will create TONS of floors for us to build things into, like mazes or challenges or whatever)

Minecraft_2012-06-30_13-43-15.png

And a most importantly, a group of builders to start the wall. For this, we want 1 person to be leading the wall construction - so consider this the first chance to show off your 1337 building skills!

I want you to post below pictures of your wall design - which has to be made of stone and wood (any form). The design must be repeatable, 3D (not just a flat wall) and awsam, then when we get to this stage, the person with the best design will be in charge of the wall construction

Some quick examples of ones I whipped up

Minecraft_2012-06-30_13-51-01.png

Minecraft_2012-06-30_13-44-01.png

GET BUILDING!

Also I think we'll use the name janitors instead, it seems more appropriate considering the community role we'll be playing, unless someone comes up with a better name before 1.3 is released

Edited by Dr.Minky

Shortly going to criticize some points in your plan Minky.

(Minecraft as serious business incoming)

1- How you expect to control the big amount of people that applied in this topic. While the plan seems quite good it won't be easy to let people work according to this plan. Everyone rather builds a nice base then gather the materials for it. In addition half of the people that applied (probaly) haven't seen this topic yet. Gathering resources is probaly the most boring part of minecraft and how you gonna prevent some people just fuck around while the rest waste there time on gathering materials. Not even mentioning the chance that people will steal from the chests, or put everything in there own ender chests. (I suppose you are going to work with ownerlists).

2- You divided the faction land into nice squares but I thought the plan was to megaclaim as much land as possible. You'r planning to like dig down the entire faction land or just a few squares?

3- Your plan to let someone pre-design a wall is quite boring, being creative and see what happens is usually much more fun. Also- you wanna use the same "model" for a wall for the entire base?

Shortly going to criticize some points in your plan Minky.

(Minecraft as serious business incoming)

1- How you expect to control the big amount of people that applied in this topic. While the plan seems quite good it won't be easy to let people work according to this plan. Everyone rather builds a nice base then gather the materials for it. In addition half of the people that applied (probaly) haven't seen this topic yet. Gathering resources is probaly the most boring part of minecraft and how you gonna prevent some people just fuck around while the rest waste there time on gathering materials. Not even mentioning the chance that people will steal from the chests, or put everything in there own ender chests. (I suppose you are going to work with ownerlists).

2- You divided the faction land into nice squares but I thought the plan was to megaclaim as much land as possible. You'r planning to like dig down the entire faction land or just a few squares?

3- Your plan to let someone pre-design a wall is quite boring, being creative and see what happens is usually much more fun. Also- you wanna use the same "model" for a wall for the entire base?

1. By selecting people that genuinely want to work to build something that will better the community, and filtering out those that would rather 'builds a nice base'.

2. We will claim as much as possible, but Minky is trying to give direction as to what we do in the claimed land in order to achieve our goal.

I want you to post below pictures of your wall design - which has to be made of stone and wood (any form). The design must be repeatable, 3D (not just a flat wall) and awsam, then when we get to this stage, the person with the best design will be in charge of the wall construction

Guess we can count you out :D

Let me start by quoting from the main topic:

The basis of this faction will be two things.

1) To build a huge breath taking base.

2) To create many activities inside the base in which other server players can come and take part in.

Yes, you will need people that work together, which means: mine resources together, build together. what I was trying to point out is that probaly no-one (including you) won't feel like "only mining for others".

People are willing to mine resources, if they can contribute in spending them as well. If you win a miljon you don't want your girlfriend to spend it all before you even touched it either.

To build a huge breath taking base those -repeatable- walls (as seen in minky's screen) aren't really breath taking for me. I think you can make something much nicer by having different layers with different patterns. Thats just my input on the idea of the walls, if you disagree and prefer tesame wall then it's your call and I will deal with it.

Do whatever you like, I doubt you ever spoke/played or know me well enough to judge about that.

Let me start by quoting from the main topic:

The basis of this faction will be two things.

1) To build a huge breath taking base.

2) To create many activities inside the base in which other server players can come and take part in.

Yes, you will need people that work together, which means: mine resources together, build together. what I was trying to point out is that probaly no-one (including you) won't feel like "only mining for others".

People are willing to mine resources, if they can contribute in spending them as well. If you win a miljon you don't want your girlfriend to spend it all before you even touched it either.

To build a huge breath taking base those -repeatable- walls (as seen in minky's screen) aren't really breath taking for me. I think you can make something much nicer by having different layers with different patterns. Thats just my input on the idea of the walls, if you disagree and prefer tesame wall then it's your call and I will deal with it.

Do whatever you like, I doubt you ever spoke/played or know me well enough to judge about that.

I doubt you ever spoke/played or know me well enough to judge be about that. I'm more than willing to mine and gather resources because what I'm trying to achieve isn't for my self. It's to create something that the server can use and a way to bring green coins to Minecraft. To be honest you're the first person I've heard start kicking up a fuss about it. Have you ever been in a faction? Don't you all mine to begin with and then share the resources to build and create tools/armour...? It's exactly the same concept.

And you are correct, this is one of a handful of experiences I've had with you, but to be honest your attitude at present doesn't exactly make me remorseful of that fact.

If you had read Minky's post properly (and the part I quoted to you incase you missed the first time round) You'll see that he is asking people to come up with their own wall designs. And if you understand the semantics of the word wall, you'll know they are but four sides to a structure. It's not like we're raping the earth of its resources to build some wall and then call it a day, it just so happens to be one of the first things that needs doing and thus a logical choice to include in the beginning stages of a build project proposal.

Oh and PS. Mining is one of my favourite parts to the game. Perhaps that's why Mojang decided 4/9ths of the game's title would be dedicated to representing that.

Edited by awesomeo_5000

And if you understand the semantics of the word wall, you'll know they are but four sides to a structure.

Not only that, judging from the screenshots this might even only be a perimiter wall, not even the building's wall?

(Because if it was a building wall it ought to be repeatable upwards too(?), which isnt exactly the case with Minky's design)

Well just to clear things up Huljpe, these stages are simply for the construction of the bare structure of the base. This is in no way a long term plan, all of this will be done after the first week easily.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- If you read the original topic, you'll see we're filtering down to the 'commited' players after this stage, who just want to have fun building stuff with us basically - managing a large amount of players like this in the short term will be fine, and if there is any trouble it will be dealt with easily, trust me.

The resources will be pooled from stage one and put into a protected room so stealing wont be a problem, after which we agreed if someone wants to leave and start their own faction we will give them half the resources they gathered and send them on their way.

2- Both. Land is claimed in squares, we will be claiming the faction in a square - I dont see where the confusion is in this - and yes, we'll dig the whole faction land (excluding the perimeter + wall)

3- The wall will be as boring as the ideas you can come up with, the fact you think it would be boring more reflects that you cant think of any cool wall ideas! PROVE ME WRONG AND POST A COOL IDEA!

The very fact that I said we're going to put one of you guys in charge of wall building show prove to you that we're sharing roles equally. And to be honest, the people who stay and mine with us to help the faction will of showed they are committed to being a permanent faction member and in turn will be around to build the cool shit after we've done the first stages.

[/squabbling]

I wouldn't use wood until the Factions plugin fixes their fireball prevention. Fireballs being shot from dispensers seem to ignore territory no matter what I do.

Ah. Well we can always use wood slabs - they don't burn! We'll see though

Edited by Dr.Minky

Thanks Minky, the point of the first post was to get answers for those questions anyway.

The faction will have hell of a job if you dig out everything trough

consider 40 land * 16*16 * 50 layers for example.

Oh and PS. I was generalising with saying nobody likes mining, ofcourse there some people that like it but im quite sure there much more that don't (like the +600 (?) xrayers that are banned). Those xrayers (Before they get banned) provide factions on this server all resources they need.

I hope you understand I actually AM commited to make this faction work. If you can't have a little argument then it's to bad (For me, obviously). There plenty of other people that do everything to please the blue and reds, im not on of those trough.

Edited by hulpje

The faction will have hell of a job if you dig out everything trough

consider 40 land * 16*16 * 50 layers for example.

Yeah I understand it looks daunting, but trust me its not too bad - I've done it a few times before with less members and digging a solid area. The way we mine in cores like this means you can do it in no time at all, you just hold click and dig down in a circle. If everyone does a few chunks each itll be done in literally no time, and I know for a fact that there are people willing to dig more than their share to help out the faction - myself included. It will be done in two or three evenings of playing at the most, which isnt that long in the grand scale of things

There plenty of other people that do everything to please the blue and reds, im not on of those trough.

If there are kiss asses around then they wont be around for long - none the proper MrGreen folk will care if they're an admin or not and no one else should either

EDIT: Oh! I realise I didnt say the reason why we're leaving the square strips instead of digging the solid area from your very first question:

1) it saves time

2) its easier to fill in

3) it gives us something to walk along

4) with the path only 2 wide we can see any valuable ores anyway, digging would be pointless

5) its easier to fill in

6) it makes pretty patterns and pretty patterns are nice

Edited by Dr.Minky

Lets put this in perspective since i'm bored.

Blocks to cut out of one chunk:

16 * 16 * 58 (63 sea level - 5 bedrock layers) = 14848

Time taken: (lets be pessimistic and say each block takes one whole second)

14848 / 3600 = 4 Hours and a bit for one person.

Conclusion:

4 People will annihilate a chunk within 1 hour.

And do-able with 2-3 people if your average block time goes towards 0.56 seconds which is the time to cut out stone with a stone pick-axe.

Seems quite do-able now, doesnt it?

Btw Minky things you could also consider:

- Guidelines/suggestions for the miners to spend their XP

- Who will be the 'official' ore-smelter (and enchanter of tools with the XP generated from that) (not me, i know jack-s... nothing about enchanting)

- Storage managers/bookies appointment using the faction command to limit faction area to a certain player (and the faction-mods/admins)

- Efficient/expandable storage design easy to sort/keep organised.

Actually, its only 12x12! Because we have the gaps in the chunks!

That makes it 2:20 per chunk per person. Assuming people could do 1 and a half chunks per evening, that would mean it would take 3 days for one person to do 6 chunks - which is more chunks than what I said originally

Ore smelter stuff is covered, I believe Stardude9 will be operating the store room along with a couple others. We'll place that in the center and have it so only mods can open the chests there, then people can dump off all their items when they use /f home to get out of the hole and let them sort it out + smelt things

Edited by Dr.Minky

I dont know about you but that amount of time seems way to fast for me, I once digged a 50x50 doom hole (with stairs) And it must have taken me more than 18 hours to do.

Beacuse you have to get fresh equipment, and now even food, and remember the space for all that stone. and a steel pickaxe for the bling bling

Actually, its only 12x12! Because we have the gaps in the chunks!

That makes it 2:20 per chunk per person. Assuming people could do 1 and a half chunks per evening, that would mean it would take 3 days for one person to do 6 chunks - which is more chunks than what I said originally

Ore smelter stuff is covered, I believe Stardude9 will be operating the store room along with a couple others. We'll place that in the center and have it so only mods can open the chests there, then people can dump off all their items when they use /f home to get out of the hole and let them sort it out + smelt things

We'll need water buckets ASAP. Water scaffolding is a necessity for this, as ladders are far too costly to waste resources on. That and how water scaffolding, though a tiny bit of a pain in the arse every now and again, makes mining downwards much safer.

And are we going to place a torch at the bottom to inhibit mob spawning?

Will we be buying things (such as obsidian) from the shop? If you are then I'm more than willing to pitch in my fair share!

I also recommend getting a reed farm, and a person to manage it, ASAP as well. By the time we have the obsidian and diamond to make an enchanting table we should also have enough book shelves to make it useful. If you'd like I could do this. Hell, I could even make a fully automated one that does it all for us complete with a water delivery system! Though that wouldn't be possible until the redstone age, of course.

Enchanting is going to be much harder, as books now require leather to craft. We need an animal tender, someone that is one with nature and able to get cows all amorous so they bone.

And it won't be so bad because if we have say five people initially digging down we'll have enough iron to build picks within the first ten minutes, and you'll have the warehouse forman (hope you like the title) smelting, crafting and giving a fresh pick to you as you drop stuff off.

Just make an animal farm somewhere beneath the ground (1 of the layers) where no strangers can come.

Then breed with weath and in an hour you'll have 100 cows :D

edit:

and kill the cows with looting swords

Edited by hulpje

Yeah we'll get plenty of iron fairly quickly, and we'll also be able to enchant the new picks to last longer + dig faster. Yeah we'll just place one torch at the bottom of each hole to stop mobs, we can leave the rest of the lighting to the people who construct the levels into the base. And water scaffolding wont be needed, as long as you dig like a 3x3 section at a time then you wont drop down into lava, and we'll just use /f home to get out of the pits :V

THANK GOD YOU MENTIONED THAT! I nearly forgot about it. We'll need a another couple of people to be in charge of building a (probably temporary) melon farm to give us all food, thats like a no.1 priority along with the store room

I think we're pretty much gonna have an entire level filled with double chests of cobblestone hahaha - but thats fine, we'll need a lot for the base construction anyway and it'll be lasting us for the whole map.

I'm willing to join Minky and the other guys for digging,gathering resources or building! (I'm not really creative when it comes to building though, 6.9/10 creative mind)

I like how everyone puts themselves around 7 for building when pretty much none of them are.

No offense, but let me put things into perspective here- I'd put the VoxelBox crew at around 8-8.5/10 (simply because I've seen some amazing structure in my time). But to consider the VoxelBox anything lower than 8 is heresy.! Most people would put them immediately at 10/10. I'd put my money down to say most people are 2-2.5 times lower than what they say they are. (once more, no offence.)