Mr. Green Gaming

Framerate issues in TF2

Hello there, since yesterday I'm having FPS problems when I play TF2.

Usually it turned around ~60 fps and when I played yesterday I had 20..25 fps and sometimes it dropped very far to 6-7 fps when there is some action.

I tried everything I could, defragmentation,files integrity checking, rebooting steam/pc, lower the settings 1 by 1...Nothing!

I tried "Can you run it?" and well...it's FAIL,reason?>This product is currently not supported on Windows 7.

Lies, it worked perfectly last week, until I played it yesterday.

It can't be Windows 7.

Here are my specs:

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz

2.67 GHz Performance Rated at: 6.0075 GHz

GeForce 9800 GTX"9800 GTX+

4GB RAM.

Windows 7 Family Premium x64.

I've seen I'm not the only one having this problem and some persons often link that to recent TF2/source engine updates.

If anyone got this problem and found how to fix it, can he post how he managed to do it?

It can also be useful for the others who have this issue.

I also saw there is a script autoexec you can use to partially solve that but I don't want to use it because the game will look ugly.

TF2 is actually the only game which bugs so much,(I didn't try with EP2 but it seems that it also has this problem) even MW2 which needs a powerful machine runs perfectly without any big FPS drop :/

EDIT: I'm actually reinstalling TF2 to see if it changes something, I'll let you know the results later on, but I don't think that will solve the problem.

Edited by Chikennugget1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cause the servers are still overloaded. Or so it happened to me at least when it started to get overloaded.

Maybe. I have FPS Problems too nowadays.

Wait abit and look if it gets back normal.

Of course you can go get CPUboosters that remove all behind applications, defrag your Disks and put them all back to normal.

Some skins may lag you, programs may lag you and your computer can overheat.

PS; Notice that changing the advanced all to low doesn't help at all.

Edited by Lemon!

It's cause the servers are still overloaded. Or so it happened to me at least when it started to get overloaded.

Maybe. I have FPS Problems too nowadays.

Wait abit and look if it gets back normal.

Of course you can go get CPUboosters that remove all behind applications, defrag your Disks and put them all back to normal.

Some skins may lag you, programs may lag you and your computer can overheat.

PS; Notice that changing the advanced all to low doesn't help at all.

I tried different servers, I thought too it would come from some overheating but I tried this morning but it's still buggy.Also, I tried a few different servers (Mr Green ones included) and the framerate changes a bit but it's still low, when I tried to create a server it was more fluid but the fps were bad though. (I immediatly saw, even if it was almost fluid, that the fps weren't normal).

It can't come from my rig, all my games work fine, only TF2 is bugged.

Edited by Chikennugget1

I think I'll try to do that, but, I updated my drivers after the fps drop appeared (that was for fixing that I tried it)

Nphect> I prefer trying any solution that doesn't makes me lowering the quality :/

For the moment I'll wait for any answer from Steam support (hope they will answer)

That wont change the quality.

I think I'll try to do that, but, I updated my drivers after the fps drop appeared (that was for fixing that I tried it)

Nphect> I prefer trying any solution that doesn't makes me lowering the quality :/

For the moment I'll wait for any answer from Steam support (hope they will answer)

That wont change the quality.

Lies I just downloaded the "high fps one" and the game looks like Team Fortress on N64 :V

It can't be a spec problem, my other games run fine :/

But, I don't remember exactly, I updated Windows 7 but what I don't really remember is that if I did it before or after the problem appeared :/

Also I tested different servers and the FPS changes, according to the server I'm playing on.But when there are people/combats etc the fps go down.

Edited by Chikennugget1

Also I tested different servers and the FPS changes, according to the server I'm playing on.But when there are people/combats etc the fps go down.

Well yeah, that's when there's a lot of traffic. Even my fps drops quite a good amount when there are 32 players on my screen (though not below the 40 fps).

Ok, I uninstalled the Nividia graphic card's driver but I saw I still had the problem on TF2 (and also on Left4Dead and Ep2,curiously,L4D2 don't seem to be a victim, and the old source games (hl2 dm etc) don't seem to be affected too) so I'm thinking that it's probably due to a Windows 7 update or something, and Steam Support didn't answer me yet (I asked them again but...)

I'm actually reinstalling the latest drivers.

I'm going to try that Game Booster thingy and I'll tell you the results but I think it will still bugs.

Edit: When I launch it I have a message "List index out of bounds (17)" in a window, and I have the list of the "useless applications" but in the Status there are just "file not found" for all the useless apps -.-

When I come back to normal mode and when I click on Game mode I only have 3 background apps I an close :/

Edited by Chikennugget1

For starters: Programs like "GameBoost" are fake and thus shit. If it DOES have any effect (which I doubt) it's only minimal and it'll gain you no extra FPS and maybe an unnoticable amount of speed.

Second of all, it can't be a Windows 7 update, since it doesn't affect me plus I haven't heard about anyone else with this problem (a LOT of people have Windows 7). Try to roll back to an older NVIDIA driver.

For starters: Programs like "GameBoost" are fake and thus shit. If it DOES have any effect (which I doubt) it's only minimal and it'll gain you no extra FPS and maybe an unnoticable amount of speed.

Second of all, it can't be a Windows 7 update, since it doesn't affect me plus I haven't heard about anyone else with this problem (a LOT of people have Windows 7). Try to roll back to an older NVIDIA driver.

As I said I did roll back to an old driver but it didn't change anything :/

Then I don't know what to do, I can try a system restoration but I must be sure of what I'm doing and if it worth it.

Steam Support is really annoying, not answering :s