Mr. Green Gaming

The Admin Thing

Admins  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How should admins be chosen in your opinion?

• They should be active on IRC as much as possible, plus be active on the forums a lot. Playing in the server is not so important because when there is a cheater, or griever or whatever, you can go to IRC and ask for a admin to come.
    • They should play a lot in the servers. So when there are more admins around, it is way handier than having to search for them everytime. Plus, in TF2, it is really annoying to alt-tab and all to go to IRC all the way. Admins should be available at Steam.
    • They should have been active in the Green community a lot. So we know and trust him/her, and he/she deserves it too. They are always around in IRC and sometimes play on the servers.
    • They should be known on the forums, but don't have to be active on the forums. But they are very popular in the servers, they play a lot in it. Them for Admin!
    • Being made admin shouldn't just be individual but needy too. Mr. Purple plays a lot in Arena, Mr. Yellow plays a lot in PayLoad, Mr. Red plays a lot in CP/CTF, but they barely ever visit other servers. They should all be made admin.
    • None of the above.

Since I can already see where this is going, I'll make some things clear.

This is not to totally bitch about the system. This is also not to criticize the admins in how they do their things. I leave it up to them however they want to sort out admins, and I won't go against anything, nor do I disagree with it.

This is to help the admins, to find out what us TF2 players and Greens want. I do not want to spawn a whole discussion and fights about it. So I hope that you understand that I'm not trying to make a revolution go or anything, and if you don't want to participate, then I would prefer if you do not post in this topic, because I don't want to be responsible for any fights or something here.

It would be cool if you can fill in the poll with your most honest answer, and when you think something that's not in there, say it in a post. I'm not pushing admins to look to this neither, I'm just curious.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I selected "None Of The Above"

I personally think that It's more of a mixture on some of these, Firstly, Yes Admins should be active on the Forums and on the IRC. Mr. Green is not onl a Tf2 Server and so communication between Admins who each specialize in different aspects is a must, Strengthens the community in a way.

The IRC is pretty good when it comes to seeing whats going on in servers, sure It's all chat between players, but that tells you alot about whats going on in the server, For example, Yesterday there was guy asking for help to install custom sounds into TF2, most people in the server were ignoring him, but I was able to use the IRC to tell him, he even signed up here because of it. To make my point, This is useful to server admins, when they're not playing they're able to Monitor whats going on, eg. If one or more people are complaining about a hacker, the Admin can see this and then jump in and act.

I wouldn't go as far as to say playing in the server is not important as you said in your first option. But I'd say It's less necessasary on the front of Moderating itself.

However, Playing in the servers are a good way of mixing with everyone, thats important, I've had to contact Admins on many occasions due to People abusing Glitches, and I've been able to do so because they come in-game, You wlak into a server and say "Whos Axon" or "whos Error" and people will know, definatley a Major part of determining Admins.

Final point I want to address is

"Being made admin shouldn't just be individual but needy too. Mr. Purple plays a lot in Arena, Mr. Yellow plays a lot in PayLoad, Mr. Red plays a lot in CP/CTF, but they barely ever visit other servers. They should all be made admin."

This is a really Grey Area But I do kind of agree. I only Play Arena with the occasional PL. mostly due to the other two being empty, and PL is usually full of Spawn-Camping Pyros. If having admins to be specific to that one server would work, then it's the perfect idea, Kind of links back to my previous point about communications between In-game Players and Admins, It's vital if you need someone to call that you actually know who to find.

This a brief summary of my thoughts, I'll add anything later if it comes to me.

For me a combination of the first and second choices really, if the first option would also include for them to also be available on steam chat as much as possible as well, that would be better.

Like right now, I get the occassional person talking to me about people abusing the door bug on Arena, in which case I usually have to go in-game anyway because the bans page likes to get the wrong person.

And then I'll end up playing arena after I've dealt with the abuser. And then I'll get bored and go onto payload, which when I usually go on, isnt full of spawn-camping pyros. But then again, recently when I have been going on Payload, it's when the server has like 3 people, and then when it gets back up to about 30 people, I'll leave.

So I do try to be active on the servers when I can is my point of all this :V

i have chosen for nr 2. but 4 is good aswell because there are a lot of guys not active on forums, but they already play for such a long time THEY DESERVE IT.

you all know my opinion now because of the mifs app a few days ago and i posted some stuff in some other apps aswell

about irc. i am a lot ingame when i am on my computer i am for 75% always ingame so i dont want to use irc. and for the guys in the server it is epic aswell because nobody/the MOST guys dont have irc so nobody contacts you when there is something going on in the servers. i think if you are a lot ingame then the regular guys gots you in your steam-friends so they can contact you in there. and that means that there need to be admins on every tf2 server(s) and not on only one server.

They should be known on the forums, but don't have to be active on the forums. But they are very popular in the servers, they play a lot in it. Them for Admin!

Voted this. As long as an admin is able to regularly check up on what's happening in the forums, in case of his actions being contested; not necessarily play an 'active' role.

i have chosen for nr 2. but 4 is good aswell because there are a lot of guys not active on forums, but they already play for such a long time THEY DESERVE IT.

you all know my opinion now because of the mifs app a few days ago and i posted some stuff in some other apps aswell

about irc. i am a lot ingame when i am on my computer i am for 75% always ingame so i dont want to use irc. and for the guys in the server it is epic aswell because nobody/the MOST guys dont have irc so nobody contacts you when there is something going on in the servers. i think if you are a lot ingame then the regular guys gots you in your steam-friends so they can contact you in there. and that means that there need to be admins on every tf2 server(s) and not on only one server.

The temptation of how I write this reply is overpowering. But I'll keep it clean and flame free.

Just because someone plays alot doesn't mean "they deserver it" Player X has played on Server Y for a long time, alsmost since it first started. So Admin Z says 'Hmm! X has been here alot lets make him Admin!' Player X becomes Admin and Causes Havoc on Y servers because he gets a little a bored one night. Theres your major flaw of 'Admin by playtime' same applies for 'Admin By popularity'

You seem to think that the IRC is used as a communication tool between players and Admins, well it can be in the sense that both the Players and admins use the IRC to chat out of game. But as for in-game I'm sure the most fo the Admins use it to monitor what goes on, I see in the Channels that Pretty much all the admins have the Server IRC's Open, so the IRC is more for The admins using it to interact with the server or the players in it, rather than the other way around.

I'm still trying to make sense of "

i think if you are a lot ingame then the regular guys gots you in your steam-friends so they can contact you in there. and that means that there need to be admins on every tf2 server(s) and not on only one server."

You appear to be saying that the more Admins play the easier it is to contact them, which is true, however you then said that this means admins should be on more, which seems like it should be the other way round, as in admins don't have to be server dedicated as much as long as regular players from each server are able to contact them.

Been waiting to say this in this topic but havent found a reason to yet. Complete misconception that all the admins play Arena and not the other servers. Only applies to KoTh and CPCTF which don't have any players half the time anyway.

Both PL and Arena have a fair share of admins now, go back 3 months and then what you say may have been true.

Just because someone plays alot doesn't mean "they deserver it" Player X has played on Server Y for a long time, alsmost since it first started. So Admin Z says 'Hmm! X has been here alot lets make him Admin!' Player X becomes Admin and Causes Havoc on Y servers because he gets a little a bored one night. Theres your major flaw of 'Admin by playtime' same applies for 'Admin By popularity'

I must disagree. I think it is not just the playtime that counts. Of course, you can play 24/7 in the servers and yet maybe you would be a bad admin. But some players do play a lot and are nice too, and they "deserver (nice word)" it, in my opinion. Not everyone goes all-out with their admin powers and rests on the ban-button.

It is also a fact that there is not much to do in Team Fortress 2 anyway. I mean, in MTA: SA, in there it is packed with cheaters, and so I think IRC is a vital part there. In Team Fortress 2 I have almost never seen a cheater, it's more people with foul mouth in the server every now and then. And I had experiences that I asked admins in my Steam list, but they all ignored me or didn't want to come.

So, when it comes to TF2, I think it is more important to play a lot in the server, than to be active on the community/IRC.

It is also a fact that there is not much to do in Team Fortress 2 anyway. I mean, in MTA: SA, in there it is packed with cheaters, and so I think IRC is a vital part there. In Team Fortress 2 I have almost never seen a cheater, it's more people with foul mouth in the server every now and then. And I had experiences that I asked admins in my Steam list, but they all ignored me or didn't want to come.

I mainly see Glitch abusers and Speed hacks, not many cheats.

"But some players do play a lot and are nice too"

Thats two different things.

Personallity is what should be looked at not the Amount of time they play, sure both can occur, but it shouldn't be on playtiem alone.

Personallity is what should be looked at not the Amount of time they play, sure both can occur, but it shouldn't be on playtiem alone.

So if Mr. Yellow and Mr. Red duke it out...

Mr. Yellow is a very nice person, has long been playing in the servers and still does so everyday. Everybody in the server finds him nice, and they all think he should be admin on the server.

Mr. Red is a very nice person, has long been active on the community and still is everyday. Everybody on the community finds him nice, and they all think he should be admin on the server.

Maybe I don't really understand you. Who do you think should be admin, Mr. Yellow or Mr. Red?

I voted "They should be known on the forums, but don't have to be active on the forums. But they are very popular in the servers, they play a lot in it. Them for Admin!" because that's what I am and I want to be admin :P

In all seriousness though; maturity and activeness on the server are most important in my opinion. Also, it's essential that the person is known and respected so that they have credibility.

My perfect admin (lol):

- Active on the server he's admin on (atleast 1/2 hours per day).

- When not playing on the server online at IRC to assist in case of an emergency.

- Checks and posts on the forums several times per day (both server related and off-topic talk).

I jsut picked what looked best but I like a mix of a couple tbh.

1) They should be known on the server and in the community

2) They have to be active (preferable in-game or IRC) because people that are only online 5 minutes a week, yeah you can figure that out

3) He/She needs to have self-control and be able to respect rules (because someone who starts raging and random slaying people isn't that usefull)

4) they have to be patient, we know how long it can take for apps to be looked at xD

5) ignoring people who ask for help is BAD

edit: gawd damn "that"

Edited by TheGreenGrasshopper

So if Mr. Yellow and Mr. Red duke it out...

Mr. Yellow is a very nice person, has long been playing in the servers and still does so everyday. Everybody in the server finds him nice, and they all think he should be admin on the server.

Mr. Red is a very nice person, has long been active on the community and still is everyday. Everybody on the community finds him nice, and they all think he should be admin on the server.

Maybe I don't really understand you. Who do you think should be admin, Mr. Yellow or Mr. Red?

How much time does Mr. Red spend in the server?

My perfect admin (lol):

- When not playing on the server online at IRC to assist in case of an emergency.

- Checks and posts on the forums several times per day (both server related and off-topic talk).

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes(Well, not as much these days, but still post one or two times a day :V)

Edited by ERROR 401

First:

They should be active on IRC as much as possible, plus be active on the forums a lot. Playing in the server is not so important because when there is a cheater, or griever or whatever, you can go to IRC and ask for a admin to come

Atleast that's the model I use

Edited by Danni

My perfect admin (lol):

Just great that i fit to all of those.