Mr. Green Gaming

Mr-Green Mapping Contest for ZS (Content)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HDC compiled, though I'm having problems with the hammer compiler, I'm obliged to run VVIS and RAD in fast mode otherwise it takes a good damn long time to compile, I dread I won't be able to compile the final map with full modes :/

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Nugget, but from what you've said, your map is highly unoptimized. (That's why it takes a lot of time to compile in Normal Mode). Also, you should test the map in GMod, not in CSS. They are different games, even though their engines are the same, right now. Good luck on optimizing your map. Maybe Clavus can tell you a few tips/hints, too.

HDC compiled, though I'm having problems with the hammer compiler, I'm obliged to run VVIS and RAD in fast mode otherwise it takes a good damn long time to compile, I dread I won't be able to compile the final map with full modes :/

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Nugget, but from what you've said, your map is highly unoptimized. (That's why it takes a lot of time to compile in Normal Mode). Also, you should test the map in GMod, not in CSS. They are different games, even though their engines are the same, right now. Good luck on optimizing your map. Maybe Clavus can tell you a few tips/hints, too.

Ok :/ But I don't get it, everything which can't be seen is in nodraw texture, and Clavus showed me a site where they talk about compilation but I don't get the thing at the end :(

@ Boter: the problem is that I need a game that runs faster, and CSS>Gmod in terms of speed, it takes a long time with Gmod while it's fast with CS.

Edited by Chikennugget1

Ok :/ But I don't get it, everything which can't be seen is in nodraw texture, and Clavus showed me a site where they talk about compilation but I don't get the thing at the end :(

@ Boter: the problem is that I need a game that runs faster, and CSS>Gmod in terms of speed, it takes a long time with Gmod while it's fast with CS.

Gmod now uses the same engine as CSS. I don't see why compiling it would take longer.

Gmod now uses the same engine as CSS. I don't see why compiling it would take longer.

No, I mean to launch the map, my gmod is a bit slow to load, and launc hthe map, while css is way faster, so I prefer using CSS to test fastly my map each time I add something.

No, I mean to launch the map, my gmod is a bit slow to load, and launc hthe map, while css is way faster, so I prefer using CSS to test fastly my map each time I add something.

Going into expert compile, then selecting fast, considerably speeds up compiling and even starting the game (no intro movies, direct load of level)

I think it's dead for me, I'll be away a month on friday, I'll try to carry my map on my laptop for eventual changes but I don't even know if I'm going to map, and when I'll be back there will be 2 weeks left only :(

Also optimizing everything implies that I totally change the way I made the map, and it was a pain in the ass to do all the circular walls for the tower and such.

But I don't think that the slow compiling speed is due to this because way before I added details to the tower the main structure was as it is right now (except without the spikes) and it was compiling faster, before I added everything like the skybox (which I simplified because of my incredible talents to fail in making good hills, so I just put water :P ) and all those rocks (to hide the displacement's edges :P ).

Edited by Chikennugget1

Here are some pics of me working on zs_necrotic_v3 which will be the final one with all the improvements. Srry for constant versions but this will be the final one with everything worked and lots of detail in it.

Didnt show any outside pics because it looks kinda the same and Im working on the outside.

I am working on the electric sparks to not go through walls and working on the env_smokestack to not look like that and to make it look nice. If not i will replace with env_steam.

Changed the crappy area with a hole in the ceiling that lead to what it seemed like an office area with a storage more lab feeling and with a toggle-able electric forcefield like in zs_clav_massive only to fit on a doorway

post-1289-127896407515_thumb.jpg

post-1289-127896408705_thumb.jpg

post-1289-127896409338_thumb.jpg

post-1289-127896409882_thumb.jpg

post-1289-127896410459_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry people. I cant keep being in the contest.

1) My Source sdk stopped working again.

2) I'm going on some more vacations I didnt knew about that they were planned.

The only thing I can try is to complete my beta map (de_operation_submarine) which will be on Ep2 engine.

It will be the only hope on completing.

Mine is still going, It's just slow progress ( Can't map on laptop because it's fail ) and since My GCSE's have been done, I need to catch up on adminining. Will try and post pictures by friday.

I'm mapping on my laptop right now :V

I spent lots of time on my map at the beginning so its done now so I can chill :D

Mine is still going, It's just slow progress ( Can't map on laptop because it's fail ) and since My GCSE's have been done, I need to catch up on adminining. Will try and post pictures by friday.

I'm mapping on my laptop right now :V

I COULD map on my laptop until they did the change to CS:S/hl2 and what not.

So much effort to fix ;P