Mr. Green Gaming

How Do I Make My Map A Zombie Survival One?

Hi i recently started on my map in source sdk 2009 for half life 2 which obviously works for gmod as well im not going to show any images of my map as there's no point yet any way i wud like to know what i items i have to put in my map and how to do them for example i know i need

Zombie Spawns

Survivor Spawns

Weapon Drops/Ammo/Health

Props (Got this covered)

as said before how do i add these in my source sdk map and what else do i need? I know how to make the map obviously as i have used source sdk/hammer for things such as Left4Dead 1,2 And Half Life 2

Zombie spawns *: info_player_zombie or info_player_counterterrorist

Human spawns: info_player_human or info_player_terrorist

Drops: Are done by us. No entities required.

* Zombie spawns are not required. We will generate random spawnpoints for them too.

We recommend using only props from HL2 and CSS. Other custom models/materials should be packed with the map through Pakrat.

Oh this isn't my first map :lol: ive done 8 survival maps for left 4 dead 2 and 1 for half life 2 (my own mission) im not young as well before u ask im currently doing Animation and Modelling at college in UK my map is based around design of many games incredibly it's sorta a combination of the classic game golden eye and valve's portal lol sounds odd but i noticed that there are a low amount of futuristic maps so i set out to make one. I want to thank both of you guys for your info and help :)

Zombie spawns *: info_player_zombie or info_player_counterterrorist

Human spawns: info_player_human or info_player_terrorist

Drops: Are done by us. No entities required.

i also noticed that alot of the house maps arn't liked and i have designed my map at the moment that survivors:infected are chances of winning 40:60 im trying to change it but the infected sud have the upper hand just so team work is neccesary

* Zombie spawns are not required. We will generate random spawnpoints for them too.

We recommend using only props from HL2 and CSS. Other custom models/materials should be packed with the map through Pakrat.

don't worry im only using half life 2 i understand about the modelling custom models from left 4 dead and thnx for the help :)

Edited by JustinTheEnd

Well since I make quite a lot of maps for the server now I can give you a few tips for a first zs map for gmod.

Start with a 2floor basement house with a fence or wall border around the map. Make in the back of the house a small graveyard for the zombie spawns.

Since its your first dont try to push yourself to add loads of detail.

Never add secrets cause if one person finds it... all will.. and that will ruin your map.

ZS maps need good atmosphere. Dark rainy night with ravenholm background sounds and blood is better than a sunny nature sound background..

If you will use fog, and I still have trouble sometimes. Try to use the fog colour with the skybox.

There are 2 main zs skyboxes you will want to use. sky_borealis_01 and sky_day01_09.

Never add loads of props in a house room.

In a small house room you would probably expect:

Couch

Table

Wardrobe

Bed

Radiator ( people always forget about that in house maps )

House maps need decent doors. Either prop_door_rotating or make a door out of a block and add a door texture and add a phys_hinge to it so it looks realistic and you can barricade well with it.

A few good lights:

light - will generate light everywhere

light_spot - will generate light in a certain spot

point_spotlight - add with light or lightspot to make it look realistic because it has the light lines and outlines

env_sprite - Makes the lightspot or light look even more realistic cause it adds a nice glow

light_environment - This is your sun light so place outside and play with the angles

Well thats a few of my ideas.

Well since I make quite a lot of maps for the server now I can give you a few tips for a first zs map for gmod.

Start with a 2floor basement house with a fence or wall border around the map. Make in the back of the house a small graveyard for the zombie spawns.

Since its your first dont try to push yourself to add loads of detail.

Never add secrets cause if one person finds it... all will.. and that will ruin your map.

ZS maps need good atmosphere. Dark rainy night with ravenholm background sounds and blood is better than a sunny nature sound background..

If you will use fog, and I still have trouble sometimes. Try to use the fog colour with the skybox.

There are 2 main zs skyboxes you will want to use. sky_borealis_01 and sky_day01_09.

Never add loads of props in a house room.

In a small house room you would probably expect:

Couch

Table

Wardrobe

Bed

Radiator ( people always forget about that in house maps )

House maps need decent doors. Either prop_door_rotating or make a door out of a block and add a door texture and add a phys_hinge to it so it looks realistic and you can barricade well with it.

A few good lights:

light - will generate light everywhere

light_spot - will generate light in a certain spot

point_spotlight - add with light or lightspot to make it look realistic because it has the light lines and outlines

env_sprite - Makes the lightspot or light look even more realistic cause it adds a nice glow

light_environment - This is your sun light so place outside and play with the angles

Well thats a few of my ideas.

lol i kidna went against everything u just said this isn't my first map so i know and by the way i think i said before but alot of players arn't interested in house maps apparently. im make a base sorta feels like aperture science but over time has became rot. don't worry there are minimum camping spots due to the no_draws such as u cud make it on top a container and onto a light but tht is now not possible

Indeed house maps do suck. I have seen to many standard maps and would like something refreshing. Just make it like you want, but make the atmosphere zombie survival like. :D

i maybe releasing a beta of my map in about a week sounds fast but my techniques are quick however i take pride in my work and will change any errors throughout.Its basically a aperture science lab like i said before i will make a page with screenshots to show my work so far the map is very big by the way and has a fair bit of detail you can't make atmosphere without detail thats why alot of house maps suck because there unfair and undetailed

Indeed house maps do suck. I have seen to many standard maps and would like something refreshing. Just make it like you want, but make the atmosphere zombie survival like. :D

i maybe releasing a beta of my map in about a week sounds fast but my techniques are quick however i take pride in my work and will change any errors throughout.Its basically a aperture science lab like i said before i will make a page with screenshots to show my work so far the map is very big by the way and has a fair bit of detail you can't make atmosphere without detail thats why alot of house maps suck because there unfair and undetailed

The only house maps I quite enjoy are the zs_stormy and zs_stormier zs_raunchyhouse zs_villagehouse

• 2 years later...