Mr. Green Gaming

I've always wanted to build my own gaming PC. Now, I'm going to do so.

Here's a list of components:

TOTAL $1,116.89

MSI was nice enough to provide me the motherboard and the GPU.

Any thoughts on it? Can't wait to get everything!

Good setup, I guess you'll overclock your CPU. But the PSU is a bit oversized or do you plan to put a 2nd gtx 560 into your sys? Well, it is pretty cheap so it shouldn't be a prob(although I prefere Corsair, Seasonic or Enermax PSUs with atleast 80 Silver certification) I'd also recommend you to buy an extra CPU cooler, this boxed stuff is horrible. A Scythe Mugen 2 or something similiar should be able to handle 4-4,5 GHz (if you overclock), otherwise a Noctua cooler(Austrian stuff, it can't be bad ;) , but expensive :/) or one of the Corsair Hydro 50 / 60 / 70 watercooler

Edited by bAsTiNaToR

Good setup with same money i used on my computer a year ago (and you get much better gaming computer).

But be sure to invest on chassis (i would use atleast 100€ and get really good one) because it's pain in the ass if it's small (no place for cables, hard to connect cables etc.).

Also get atleast 1-2 chase fans, and better fan for CPU (if you'r planning overclocking it). I cant overclock s*** with i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz and with basic fan (goes in games over 60C).

Not bad. But your PSU is oversized and change the brand (Enermax, Seasonic, Coolermaster, Cougar, BeQuiet, Tagan) Never heard of "Rosewill" PSUs before. 500 - 600 Watt is more than enough for your configuration.

You've never heard of Rosewill before? They've been around forever.

I dont understand why people upgrade their pc so fast. I still got a hd4870 and i havent seen a single game i cant play. :S

You have to differ between "Can play" and "can play in maximum or very high settings" And with a HD4870 you obviously can't play games like "Metro 2033" or the new comming BF3 in high settings.

And the HD4870 doesn't support DX11 though.

Topic: I suggest you, that you change your PSU brand to better known PSU brand with lower wattage, which I listed above, because you won't need 750 Watt (you wouldn't even get 750 with this PSU because of 80% efficiency though)

Edited by CarPileUp

I dont understand why people upgrade their pc so fast. I still got a hd4870 and i havent seen a single game i cant play. :S

Same here. I got a GTX 285, and I can play almost any game with all settings on high (or ultra/very high).

The only thing I'll upgrade for is BF3 (<3)

Same here. I got a GTX 285, and I can play almost any game with all settings on high (or ultra/very high).

The only thing I'll upgrade for is BF3 (<3)

Exactly ! i have gtx 260 so im gonna buy 590 or smth

UPDATE! Just finished getting everything put together. Working on getting all the drivers and whatnot installed onto Windows 7 Professional (x64, SP1).

Here are a few pics:

dscn2310r.th.jpg dscn2311z.th.jpg

For being my first build EVER, I'd say that I did pretty good :). Cables could've been neater if I used a modular PSU, but I shoved all the extra crap behind the other side panel.

FYI sweeet...the psu is the most important component in your computer. Overkill is never a bad thing when it comes to that. While a 750w psu will power your current system, it will limit you on how much you can upgrade if you so choose to. Your computer is just like a horny woman, bigger is better.

FYI sweeet...the psu is the most important component in your computer. Overkill is never a bad thing when it comes to that. While a 750w psu will power your current system, it will limit you on how much you can upgrade if you so choose to. Your computer is just like a horny woman, bigger is better.

Wrong!

A PSU is not the bigger the better. A normal computer only needs about 300 watt. A gaming normal gaming PC only need 500 Watt.

Only if you have 8 HDD 2(+)GFX cards and some more useless shit you need 750 Watt.

Otherwise you don't!

If you buy a 750Watt PSU and you only need 250 your PSU will (unnecessarily) use more power than it needs. A 750Watt PSU is built for high loads. If it does not get high loads it will (in the end) only be bad for your computer then better. Also not to forget; a lower wattage PSU will also make your PSU silenter (however you also have silent high wattage PSU. Depends on the kind fan they use(The bigger fan the better))

@The builder. Looks nice good cable management. However if you spend so much money on a good PC you also can spend 30$ on a good cooler for your CPU. Imo that looks better. And it is better for your CPU.

Edited by .:DutchMan:.

Stupid and wrong.

Dutchman is right. The wattage is not fucking important. Only when you want to build a SLI/Crossfire system and want to do high overclocking THEN the wattage COULD BE important. (Also don't forget high 12V+ rails.)

For a standart gaming PC like besweet has built is about 500 Watt (brand PSU) more than enough, because the maximum power consumption from his PC (without OC) will be never higher as about 350 Watt.

Edited by CarPileUp

Wrong wrong wrong and wrong. If you want to build a run of the mil it will only play mta computer, then you are correct. A quality psu is the key to any system build. And regarding the statement about a psu wasting power, you are wrong there as well. If you purchase a 500w psu, the 500w is at MAX load. That is the most it can output. It does not put out 500w constantly. You are correct, however, about the 12v rail(s). An 80+ certified psu is the way to go whether it be bronze, silver, or gold. And why buy a 500w psu now to power your current system demands when you can purchase a high quality 750 (or whatever wattage) that will power your computer today and your next build after that and the one after that.

Never skimp on your psu.

My system just so you dont think i dont know what i am talking about.

Intel Core i7 950 @ 4.3ghz

EVGA x58 sli/crossfire mobo

6gb g-skil pc1600 ram at 7-7-7-7-24 oced to 1800mhz

Corsair H50 water cooler

2 evga 460gtx 1gb ddr5 in sli

3 WD 500mb 7200rpm 64mb cache in raid 0

Kingwin Lazer 1000w psu

Lite on 24x blue ray burner

Do I need a 1000w psu for this system? no. I could get by with 800w. The system is designed to upgrade whenever I want to. So if I decide to put 2 580gtx in this thing i can. And there is no need to buy a new psu. Any smart system builder designs his/her build for upgradeability and expandability.

Unless of course you are a poor person and can only afford to build a system that will just get you buy. But skimping on your psu will only hurt you in the long run.

Edited by alwTicToc

Wrong wrong wrong and wrong. If you want to build a run of the mil it will only play mta computer, then you are correct. A quality psu is the key to any system build. And regarding the statement about a psu wasting power, you are wrong there as well. If you purchase a 500w psu, the 500w is at MAX load. That is the most it can output. It does not put out 500w constantly. You are correct, however, about the 12v rail(s). An 80+ certified psu is the way to go whether it be bronze, silver, or gold. And why buy a 500w psu now to power your current system demands when you can purchase a high quality 750 (or whatever wattage) that will power your computer today and your next build after that and the one after that.

Never skimp on your psu.

My system just so you dont think i dont know what i am talking about.

Intel Core i7 950 @ 4.3ghz

EVGA x58 sli/crossfire mobo

6gb g-skil pc1600 ram at 7-7-7-7-24 oced to 1800mhz

Corsair H50 water cooler

2 evga 460gtx 1gb ddr5 in sli

3 WD 500mb 7200rpm 64mb cache in raid 0

Kingwin Lazer 1000w psu

Lite on 24x blue ray burner

Do I need a 1000w psu for this system? no. I could get by with 800w. The system is designed to upgrade whenever I want to. So if I decide to put 2 580gtx in this thing i can. And there is no need to buy a new psu. Any smart system builder designs his/her build for upgradeability and expandability.

Unless of course you are a poor person and can only afford to build a system that will just get you buy. But skimping on your psu will only hurt you in the long run.

I did not say it uses 500W at all the time. A high wattage PSU is made for high loads. If it does not get high loads it will use less watt But the efficiency of the PSU is just worse. Example:

Computer needs 389Watt and you put in a 500Watt PSU. An good PSU has an efficiency of around 80% (If on high load). Because the diffrence is not that high the efficiency will be between 72-80%

Computer needs 389Watt and you put in a 750Watt PSU. The efficiency will drastically be less you only will get to manage an efficiency of around 50-60%!

That means the PSU will unnecessarily use more power than it has to use. And what happens if it uses more power that it needs? It becomes heat. And what does heat do to computers?

Oh yea: Your computers is not that good that it needs a 1000W Psu it will do just fine with a 700W psu.

@Below: The noise that the PSU depends on how its cooled. Because if ou have a 750W psu and there is a 80mm fan in it you could guess it makes noise. However if the fan is 120 you get a lot less noise. In this case the bigger is better.

Edited by .:DutchMan:.