Mr. Green Gaming

[WORK]Does the internet make us idiots?

Chikennugget1

28 members have voted

1. 1. Does the internet make us idiots?Why?

• Yes
    • No

Hey there, I have a presentation to do at the college about the topic "Does the internet make us idiots?" and we thought that we could get some opinions on the web, so naturally I thought about this place :V

So basically, you can answer (if you want) the poll above this post, and explain your choice, I need some constructive opinions, and I will use them in the presentation :)

I suggest that you fill this little questionnary:

-Yes,no?

-Explain shortly your choice(~4-5 lines)

-Do you have some examples (videos,...)? (examples that show how people can believe in something that is wrong for example, hoaxes etc...)

I think that's all for the moment, the presentation lasts 15 mins, and we are 3 guys on it so yeah, we just need some bits of opinion, not a huge argumenation ;)

Thanks! :)

PS:You'll maaaaaaaaybe be mentionned somewhere :V

Edited by Chikennugget1

You can never get "stupid".

You can only gain information. Spamming this useless information all over the place however, is classes as stupid and people do it as an every day thing.

When pufulet said we rely on the internet too much so it makes us stupid, I think he's wrong. Without the internet, he expects us be a lot cleverer?

Without the internet, I wouldn't know a lot of things. I actually learnt how to write semi-properly because of people on the internet. <3

HOWEVER, because of the internet, people come across as stupid because they think it's funny. Others catch on and join in, and this is where "stupidity" forms.

Edited by QTesla

Both yes and no, it's how people use the internet.

If you use it to broaden your horizons, discuss different opinions, and gather knowledge you never would've found alone, then of course the internet is adding value to your life.

If you use the anonymity to be an asshole, then it makes you an idiot.

It really depends on how you use the internet.

I've always used the internet well (at least that's what I belive)

I've learned a lot of things that the others in my class learn 1-5 years later, because they don't spend as much time on the internet as I do. For example; I started playing video games when I was really young, and it has improved my english a lot. When I started programming a little bit i got better at math, and physics and stuff (It just made me think more math-like, it didn't really teach me math in any way).

The internet has helped me in small ways, all the way. I wouldn't be me if it wasn't for the internet :)

... Then there's the idiots. You should have to go through a test to get an internet license or something

The internets makes you more wise, yes, but does it make you more intelligent? I don't think so. You ask if it makes you an idiot, I think yes. You can be very wise (knowing much) but still be a dumbass. Since the internet doesn't change your IQ or whatever. Look at how many people act like they are king, like those people Yoshi is talking about. They act like idiots, so... yes.

But then again, give me the definition of any kind of behaviour, there is none. ''Don't be an idiot! What do you think is an idiot? ''

:yeah:

as this being information used for educational purposes I'll keep it formal and constructive.

The internet has its positive sides and its negative ones, just like any other invention or object.

I will start with the positive side. You can increase your knowledge in many different aspects, this could be in languages but also in science, programming, cooking, etc.

As example you have the millions of tutorials be it videos on youtube or blogs and forums (like this one, which as some valuable information too).

Not only does it teach us things we would learn in class, but for instance with online gaming we learn how to experiment with tactics, we learn to think first and act later or the other way around depending on the situation. We learn how o interact on social grounds using facebook, irc, msn and so on. Through this we also learn culture and slang that we would normally not learn in class.

This brings me to the negative side, the more used we get to believing everything that we read on the internet the more mistakes we start making. Since spelling and grammar is rarely taking serious in-game or in chats, it got effected by the text languages, abreviations, mistakes.

Next to that the facts that we read are not always true, neither are the videos and images online.

tl/dr: Internet has a positive side, being that it teaches us valuable lessons, and the negative side taht feeds us false and incorrect info.

Longest text on mr green so far, i think =P

You won't meet any intelligent people on the internet; only trolls. You'll only read about intelligent people, and their articles they make. Arguments are proven invalid, because it's the internet; each person thinks he's right, and won't admit their mistakes.

It's a good tool for searching information and reading it, because the data is always up-to-date. Though the information isn't always valid, and can differ A LOT from each site. Finding a trustworthy source can proof to be more difficult than just opening a book and finding your information there.

Edited by Botervloot

You won't meet any intelligent people on the internet; only trolls. You'll only read about intelligent people, and their articles they make. Arguments are proven invalid, because it's the internet; each person thinks he's right, and won't admit their mistakes.

I strongly disagree with your observations. Yes, there are a lot of people trolling on the communities you move around (which are usually game-related forums), but the internet is far bigger than any of us will ever see. Declaring that you've seen everything the internet has to offer means you're not looking hard enough.

You can never get "stupid".

You can only gain information. Spamming this useless information all over the place however, is classes as stupid and people do it as an every day thing.

When pufulet said we rely on the internet too much so it makes us stupid, I think he's wrong. Without the internet, he expects us be a lot cleverer?

Without the internet, I wouldn't know a lot of things. I actually learnt how to write semi-properly because of people on the internet. <3

HOWEVER, because of the internet, people come across as stupid because they think it's funny. Others catch on and join in, and this is where "stupidity" forms.

I didnt mean to say it like that. In more simpler ways I wanted to say something else but for now leave it as it depends how you use the internet

I strongly disagree with your observations. Yes, there are a lot of people trolling on the communities you move around (which are usually game-related forums), but the internet is far bigger than any of us will ever see. Declaring that you've seen everything the internet has to offer means you're not looking hard enough.

If you can name a website where they discuss things properly, I'll gladly change my opinion.

Ahhh good, a lot of good things to put together :P

If I had to answer to this poll myself I'd say both yes and no too.

Yes because a lot of people tends to see the "simplicity", when you need something you just have too google/wikiped' it and that's all, no efforts, just copy/paste.

Also, when you see the memes, unfunny but still attracting new adepts, or youtubepoops/other idiot stuff.

And no because it's very useful in the life (I learned more english words here, with games too...) and it helps me with programing stuff.

Yes because a lot of people tends to see the "simplicity", when you need something you just have too google/wikiped' it and that's all, no efforts, just copy/paste.

Well yes. But with the increasing amount of information in the world, I believe that people should learn to find information quickly, instead of having to spend a long time learning to reproduce it. Of course you'd still have to learn the basic concepts (math / language / etc), but things like history exams are (ironically) getting outdated in a world where the collective knowledge of humankind is in the palm of your hand.

Well yes. But with the increasing amount of information in the world, I believe that people should learn to find information quickly, instead of having to spend a long time learning to reproduce it. Of course you'd still have to learn the basic concepts (math / language / etc), but things like history exams are (ironically) getting outdated in a world where the collective knowledge of humankind is in the palm of your hand.

True true, but still, that's a dependance man-computer, there is no more need to search by yourself, to "use your brain", the computer is like the apple with the snake, you touch it and then you can't get rid of it, that becomes an habit, and then you're too used to it.

I'm a bit dramatizing but basically that's the problem.

True true, but still, that's a dependance man-computer, there is no more need to search by yourself, to "use your brain", the computer is like the apple with the snake, you touch it and then you can't get rid of it, that becomes an habit, and then you're too used to it.

I'm a bit dramatizing but basically that's the problem.

As I said, basic concepts should still be taught. It's just that the huge flow of information today can't be absorbed by a single mind, and thus we must learn to search efficiently. Humans have evolved because we simplify things and create systems for ourselves. We're already dependant on so many things.