Mr. Green Gaming

Religion

The Lazy Peon

I don't have a lot to say about nihilism either. Why? Because "insignificant" is a word that doesn't exist in the universe. Nihilists label themselves 'insignificant' because there's a lot out there, but does it really matter that there is such a huge universe? We simply exist and there's nothing more to add, or subtract from that.

Insignificant is a word given to describe that particular feeling. The word itself is irrelevant, it is merely a label for that particular feeling a sentient being can experience. This feeling could be felt by any sentient being in the universe, the label given to it by humans who speak the English language is not related to the feeling itself.

In logical argument form, my belief works like this:

Premise 1. We exist.

Premise 2. The universe exists.

Premise 3. Interactions and forces transferred throughout the universe do so by means of energy released through the movement of atomic and subatomic particles.

Premise 4. Our planet and our bodies are also controlled by the movement of these particles but they move in such a way that creates consciousness.

Premise 5. Something that is 'insignificant' is a thing that is very small and of little importance in relation to another thing.

Premise 6. The number of particles and interactions that make up our bodies are impossibly small in relation to the universe.

Premise 7. The energy and 'effort' (both mental and physical) that we release during our lifetimes is also impossibly small in relation to the universe.

Premise 8. As the universe is so massive, maybe infinite, it is likely other beings as intelligent as ourselves exist.

Conclusion: We are impossibly small and release a miniscule amount of energy in relation to the rest of the universe. We are also not the only sentient and thinking beings in the universe so in that respect we are not unique. For both these reasons, we are insignificant.

Actually I meant "insignificant" as a term (not only as a word) doesn't exist in the universe. The feeling we have is because there is a massive amount of information out there which we haven't collected or reached yet!

For example, if you would relate our significance to our own solar system, it must be a lot more than the whole universe right? But why would it be? The distance to the edge of our solar system is huge, no person would travel that distance. Yet we find it smaller because we know so much about our solar system. Now imagine in the future, if the human race can travel between many systems, even though there is such a massive amount of information, every system will feel like it's next door. Even now the internet contains more information than one man can absorb in his life, but because we can reach it, it doesn't feel 'too big' for us.

Insignificance is nothing but an emotion. If the human race expands, everything comes closer.

If everyone here was arguing in a formal, polite manner such as this, the thread would be fine.

I accept your point but the universe really is much bigger than you or I could possibly comprehend. Humanity will never be able to cross the galaxy, let alone leave it. Consider this first, then remember that even the galaxy is impossibly small compared to the universe. The only reason we cannot recognise how tiny we are in the grand scheme of things is because we cannot comprehend the great gulfs of space that surround us.

To reach the same level of knowledge we have about the solar system when it comes to the universe, we would have to study every star and every galaxy. We're talking more stars than there are bytes of data on the internet. Humanity will never, don't kid yourslef on this one, humanity WILL NEVER have the technology to comprehend our universe. Surely a significant entity in the universe would be able to understand the space it occupies?

Are you really shure about that?

People used to think we couldn't fly.

They thought you were crazy if you even said you could go faster then the speed of sound.

Ofcourse we will never understand our universe it's to large for that, but I think we can atleast travel inside the galaxy. ( Galaxy = milky way , if thats what you mean, but never around the entire universe)

Humanity will never be able to cross the galaxy, let alone leave it. Consider this first, then remember that even the galaxy is impossibly small compared to the universe.

To reach the same level of knowledge we have about the solar system when it comes to the universe, we would have to study every star and every galaxy. We're talking more stars than there are bytes of data on the internet. Humanity will never, don't kid yourslef on this one, humanity WILL NEVER have the technology to comprehend our universe. Surely a significant entity in the universe would be able to understand the space it occupies?

Are you really sure about that?

People used to think we couldn't fly.

They thought you were crazy if you even said you could go faster then the speed of sound.

Ofcourse we will never understand our universe it's to large for that, but I think we can atleast travel inside the galaxy. ( Galaxy = milky way , if thats what you mean, but never around the entire universe)

I disagree with Crowbar and agree with Hundred. If you would have studied it, you would have known that humanity will be possible to have technology needed to travel between galaxies. Maybe not in 100 years, maybe not in 500 years, but some day humanity will have the techology needed.

Just think about how much techology has improved in a time no longer than 50 years. We got computers, beepers small phones that can do almost anything.

All this would have imagined impossible only 100 years ago. But today, we couldn't live without them.

Edited by Nobana

In the future, we may be flying faster than anything. Creating our own speeds as we please!

Back on religion, not technology.

The thread has evolved into an interesting and thought-provoking debate. Deal with it.

I'll believe this theoretical future when I see it. But I ask you this, light is energy. It is a pure form of energy that can move without friction or deceleration. How could something possibly be faster than light?

In the future, we may be flying faster than anything(exept light). Creating our own speeds as we please!

The thread has evolved into an interesting and thought-provoking debate. Deal with it.

I'll believe this theoretical future when I see it. But I ask you this, light is energy. It is a pure form of energy that can move without friction or deceleration. How could something possibly be faster than light?

Uhm, I think it was sarcasm. Deal with it.

Theoretical future? Why is our assumptions theoretical future and yours arent?

In the future, we may be flying faster than anything(exept light). Creating our own speeds as we please!

Fixed. And agreed.

@ Crowbar, who knows what humanity will be able to do in future? Certainly not me or you, none of us.

Just because we don't know doesn't mean we can't hypothesise. This theoretical future of magical things you are dreaming of won't appear if people like you keep saying we cannot think about and work towards it yet.

I am expressing my opinion that even if people start working towards it tomorrow (which they won't), we will never develop faster than light travel and/or explore the universe.

Just think about how much technology has improved in a time no longer than 50 years. We got computers, beepers small phones that can do almost anything.

All this would have imagined impossible only 100 years ago. But today, we couldn't live without them.

What about the 3 Billion people living in poverty without these delightful creations. Is humanity just going to rush off into an exciting future and leave half its population behind?

Humanity cannot advance towards the stars until we have sorted out all the problems on our own planet.

I am expressing my opinion that even if people start working towards it tomorrow (which they won't), we will never develop faster than light travel and/or explore the universe.

Uhm, did you really study this matter. They are exploring possibilities to do this.

For example, studying how to create wormholes, you must create a stable black hole to do so, but how? They are also working on possible engine choises, like engines working with small nuclear blasts exploding 5 times per second.

E:

What about the 3 Billion people living in poverty without these delightful creations. Is humanity just going to rush off into an exciting future and leave half its population behind?

You cant seriously try to say that space travelling is impossible because poverty in some countries?

Back on track to the religion? Though I'll keep responding to your comments most likely.

Edited by Nobana

A black hole won't transport you to another dimension, it simply transfers your mass energy back into the universe as pure energy.

An engine running on nuclear blasts might reach the star nearest to us (other than the sun) in say, 400000 years

You cant seriously try to say that space travelling is impossible because poverty in some countries?

Back on track to the religion? Though I'll keep responding to your comments most likely.

It's not impossible, but is it ethical to pour money into space exploration when half the world can only just afford to eat?

Edited by deathbycrowbar

(Ending quote pyramid)

Nothing can travel faster than light.

At the speed of light it would take 100,000+ years to cross the galaxy.

Do you really think humanity will achieve this bearing in mind the earth has just 150 million years or so left.

Yes.

Where's the proof we can't go faster?

But i don't have proof either.

The guys who said we can't go faster then sound didn't have proof either.

The guys who said you can go faster then sound didn't have it EITHER.

paradox!

A black hole won't transport you to another dimension, it simply transfers your mass energy back into the universe as pure energy.

An engine running on nuclear blasts might reach the star nearest to us (other than the sun) in say, 400000 years

Argh, no shit? I kinda dont have the time to translate >400 lines of text into English just to explain to you what Im saying. And by the way, with the power of small nuclear explosions, it would take less than 50 years to reach the nearest star(not Sun). This engine will produce the speed 10% of light speed.

Get your facts straight.

E:

Where's the proof we can't go faster?

Here they are. You're welcome.

Edited by Nobana

@Nobana

Ok I was just guessing the speed. Regardless, can a human surive travelling at 10% light speed? No.

Anyway. I'm quitting this topic. I don't think it's worth arguing with you anymore. Your 'arguments' are loose assertions and tenuous facts you've strung together by watching your television and using google.

The best tool you have is right inside your head. Learn to use it and maybe you'll become a bit more popular and your arguments may begin to make logical sense rather than being a bombardment of trivial facts.

@Nobana

Ok I was just guessing the speed. Regardless, can a human surive travelling at 10% light speed? No.

Anyway. I'm quitting this topic. I don't think it's worth arguing with you anymore. Your 'arguments' are loose assertions and tenuous facts you've strung together by watching your television and using google.

The best tool you have is right inside your head. Learn to use it and maybe you'll become a bit more popular and your arguments may begin to make logical sense rather than being a bombardment of trivial facts.

GTFO

@Nobana

Sorry what.

If youre calling people's arguments "Loose assertions"

Give us a few nice shining examples. Not to be hating :P

Anyway, back to religion

Edited by Hundred2

Your 'arguments' are loose assertions and tenuous facts you've strung together by watching your television and using google.

Uhm. I understand. Just to let you know, no Google or TV used, kthxbye. And I dont know why I would want to become a bit more popular.

You know, you got no more proof than I have. So all this that you're saying, can just as well be used against you.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

E: First ontopic respond from me.

I consider myself an atheist, which Im not. I do believe in God/Higher power/Mr. Allmighty/Creator of heavens. Its like to have some sort of simple explanation for everything.

I dont really believe in Heaven or Hell, but I do believe that something does happen after death. Rebirth? Maybe, I always imagine it like Heaven, that some day I can be a "spectator" in all this, just like my passed away relatives are.

Edited by Nobana