Mr. Green Gaming

Day Z

Clavus

But I'm on vacation :yeah:

You mainly need Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead! You would also need Arma 2, but I guess the free version of Arma 2 will do the job too.

Edit:

Before you buy it, you should know it's kinda hard to get the mod working afterwards.

There are a few errors that might confront you and you need to update BattlEye and DayZ regularly

It's not that hard to update the mod. They have a full installation tutorial video on the DayZ website's download section.

And for today's story: today we got ourselves killed a lot by more patient players. First we (me, Necro, Reap3r (= Goldon Fleeman)) tried ambushing some dudes that were looting the Stary Sobor military base. When they started shooting back our plan kinda failed. The only one that didn't end up dying was Necrossin, and he managed to shoot the wookie that flanked me.

In the evening me and Reap3r ran north again from Elektro, with some shitty weapons we picked up along the way. In Mogilevka we got ambushed by another player after we found a dead survivor (protip: dead player (you can hear buzzing flies), means danger around). We didn't get hurt too badly and managed to retreat the area. After that we lay proned on the hill on the north east side of town, when Reap3r spotted someone crouching through the grass right ahead of us.

I went up to him and pumped him full with Makerov ammo. This was probably the douche that had tried to ambush us. And I was rewarded for it too: this guy had a M4A1 SD :D

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558690946134312517/35A147302841C6E4F95CD993298FF8DAF74A5C94/

The moment we met up with Reap3r's friend Nightfreeze.

The next few hours we spent running around the map from deer stand to deer stand to find some good gear. We also met up with Reap3r's friend again. Then we went for the NW airport to loot the southern baracks. Ended up being the worst decision of the evening.

Once we reached the airfield and started sneaking through the woods, someone managed to come up behind us and killed Reap3r and his friend. I managed to pump our attacker full of rifle ammo before bailing out. After that I ran back to the Old Fields north of Novy Sobor. Necrossin will be around that place tomorrow to help give me a blood transfusion :V

We really really need a bigger group. Buy Arma 2 Combined Operations. Install this mod. Get on TeamSpeak. Survive!

Seems a lot of people are picking it up now :D

Note that you can buy the Private Military Company DLC for Arma 2 to get some more high-res models, since the basic survivor model is from that DLC. It is not required, you'll just get a bit lower texture res like you see on the first screenshots I posted in this topic.

Do try to get some kind of auto-hotkey / auto-click software so you can spam the enter button without actually ruining your enter button to get into a server. With that trick it takes me about 5 minutes on average to join the server I want.

Another protip is that if you're new to Arma 2, to first play some bootcamp in singleplayer to get a feel for the engine, reconfigure your controls, completely turn off first-person headbobbing, shooting some dummy targets and flying helicopters nose first into the ground.

Our primary server we join is FR2, You can find me by the name of CptReap3r, im near a city so we have a chance to meet up, but i think its better for you guys to gain some experience :P

Edit: Were also sometimes at UK1 because it has a higher skill level.

Edited by Reap3r

Our primary server we join is FR2, You can find me by the name of CptReap3r, im near a city so we have a chance to meet up, but i think its better for you guys to gain some experience :P

I think me gaining experience consists of me being hit once, not being able to use a bandage and then dying XD

Im in FR2 now anyway

Edited by Dr.Minky

To use stuff, press G(inv), right click the item you want and there ya go.

PROTIP1: use your numpad.

PROTIP2: When you die and you must go to player selection screen, go Abort, then disconnect once and press then OK. that way ou say in server.

Edited by Reap3r

Not really higher skill level, more the sense of impending chopper raids from the Sky Mother cult.

Not really higher skill level, more the sense of impending chopper raids from the Sky Mother cult.

Shh don't mention them, whenever their name is mentioned something bound to happen.

So uh.

After I managed to get in a server after around two hours of waiting and mashing enter, I started to make my way through many forests, where my framerate was below 10 most of the time.

I got to a town, got surrounded by zombies and spent all my Makarov ammunition. When I entered a house for shelter, they phased inside the walls and teleported around. I decided to die and alt-tabbed out (I had 850 HP left). When I come back, I see that the zombies have disappeared and my health is still 850. I decided to abort.

I can't tell whether it's the fragmentation on my disks, but I can't even run BF3 on low without lagging to shit. My first impression of DayZ was varied, and hopefully the framerate problem will be fixed once I re-install windows for the 800'th time. Except I doubt it will because Clavus said there are framerate issues.

I would place money on betting that they make a Day Z (or similar) independent game in the next year or so. Its extremely profitable,

@SilverDot, put all your graphics settings on normal and put the post filtering on low, that raised it a lot for me. Also, the reason why it can lag so much is because of the AI of the zombies, on most games, AI is done server side, but on arma the AI is calculated on your computer instead, so its shared between the players which means it lags a fuck ton if youre on your own

I have Arma II. If I get Arma II Operation Arrowhead it will work?

It requires Operation Arrowhead to run, and Arma 2 content besides that (thus the notion Minky made about Arma 2 Free being enough if you take the content from it, although I heard people saying you miss some stuff then).

I would place money on betting that they make a Day Z (or similar) independent game in the next year or so. Its extremely profitable,

@SilverDot, put all your graphics settings on normal and put the post filtering on low, that raised it a lot for me. Also, the reason why it can lag so much is because of the AI of the zombies, on most games, AI is done server side, but on arma the AI is calculated on your computer instead, so its shared between the players which means it lags a fuck ton if youre on your own

Yeah the mod developer is actually a designer at Bohemia working on Arma 3. This mod was just a spare time project. His bosses must be quite happy with him bringing in such a stream of monies from a product they deemed end-of-life.

I have Arma II. If I get Arma II Operation Arrowhead it will work?

It requires Operation Arrowhead to run, and Arma 2 content besides that (thus the notion Minky made about Arma 2 Free being enough if you take the content from it, although I heard people saying you miss some stuff then).

I think the textures are worse or something like that